“Impressive at night!”

Bell Tower (Zhonglou)
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Hu County
More attraction details
Owner description: This renovated 118-foot tower was built in 1384 and moved to its present site in the city center in 1582.
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I was so impressed when I first saw it at night when I arrived in Xi'an that this was the first attraction to visit the next morning. A bit of a 'let down' though. Nice views from there but nothing much really. As most of the reviewers say, the Drum Tower is much more interesting.

Reviewed 19 June 2010

I think that most other reviewers got this one pegged. This is nice to look at, but not as nice to look from. The Drum Tower is better. Though if you are one of those people who feel compelled to ram a log into a big bell for a small fee, then this is your place.

Reviewed 25 May 2010

The bell tower is interesting for a shot from outside but inside having to pay for ringing the bell, getting a photo of the smog is not worth the entrance fee. There is nothing inside the building of interest either.

Reviewed 20 July 2009

I think our visit might have been enhanced if we were there when they had a little show inside (playing Chinese bells and instruments). Before you buy your ticket, there is a sign at the ticket window with the times of the shows. During lunchtime, there are no shows for a few hours.

Other than that though, it was mainly just climbing up, seeing the city, then climbing back down again. Up there, you can also pay to ring a large bell, but that seemed like too much of a rip off for me, so I decided against it.

I guess it would be worth going to so you can say you went though...