“Hurricane damaged and mostly closed”

Grand Turk Cruise Center
Book In Advance
More Info
US$68.99*
and up
Caribbean Snorkel Tour in Grand Turk's Coral Reef
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

First out of the cruise terminal in a group and taxi into the main town, we were not made aware of how much damage had been caused by last years two hurricanes, all of the listed attractions were all closed from severe damage and there was little sign of much being done to rebuild. The locals had next to know telephone or internet access and finding anything open was very hard. The town prior to this must have been lovely and the coastline and sea views are amazing. We made the most of our part day before rain stopped play and walked from one end to the other. It will be the place to visit once all the repairs and insurance claims are completed!!

1  Thank Richard S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"duty free shop"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The area for tourists on this part of the island has recovered from the hurricanes. There were not a lot of shops but there were some. Don’t miss the John Glenn And friendship 7 area.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I should’ve known from the minute our tour person picked us up in a filthy van and headed away from our port that we were in trouble. I could not believe my eyes on the Segway Tour as to how distractive and how unsafe the streets were. I’ve been on many segway tours In Florida .. so this was not my first time. Unfortunately it was such an unsafe area that I was thrown from my Segway and endured an injury that has put me in a wheelchair for 3months .. Holland America totally refuses to except any responsibility even though they advertise this Segway trip and promote it in all of their shore excursions ! please be aware to not take this tour.. streets are very very unsafe and I would hate to see this happen to anyone else

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First off...do NOT pay for beach chairs and umbrellas forced upon you by the aggressive locals that will start shouting at you as you make your way to the beach. The chairs and green umbrellas are free to cruise guests, but the locals set up their own chairs in front of them and try to guide you to these seats for a fee. The beach near chairs was uneven for beach chairs and somewhat rocky/shell/bottle cap filled: my feet are sensitive and I wished I had water shoes. In the water the sand was okay. Margaritaville pool area was nice but why sit there and pay for food and drinks when you have the same exact vibe for free on your ship (kids splashing, dj music thumping, no deck chairs). My recommendation is to have a leisurely sit down breakfast on the ship, wait until 11 or so to go down to the beach, there should be plenty of chairs closest to the duty free shop you have to walk through to get off the ship, have a quick swim and watch the sea from your FREE seat, then walk through Margaritaville and the handful of shops before going back on board for lunch. This plan gave us at least a couple hours of time on the ship with hardly any people so we could enjoy a lot without the crowds.

6  Thank TravelMom_inPHL