“American-style breakfasts with exceptional coffee and service”
Review of Cafe Fortaleza

Cafe Fortaleza
Ranked #145 of 1,147 Restaurants in San Juan
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Reviewed 31 May 2017

This unpretentious, little cafe in the heart of Old San Juan has familiar offerings for breakfast, such as Eggs Benedict and French toast. It's a small menu, which is fine for a morning meal. The food is also a better bargain than the same dishes at Cafe Americaine. Our server, Carmelo, was very professional, personable and helpful. He gave us little hints to maximize our enjoyment of the meal. Although the EB I had wasn't as pretty as in the photo in this listing, it was well prepared. The French toast was light and delicious. The cafe latte was superb - rich,creamy and beautifully inscribed on top by four-time World Champion barista, Oscar. I highly recommend this place.

1  Thank bsfog

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Just after finishing our wonderful walking tour of Old San Juan, our guide suggested a great out of the way place that was mostly locals. The inside was beautifully​ restored and the staff friendly. After a wait for our drinks and then our food (which was the only reason for the mark down), our eyes rolled back savoring the food. My wife had the Cuban and I tried their twist on the Montecristo. I couldn't eat mine fast enough and we could've split her sandwich and still both been full. Definitely would go back for more if given the chance.

1  Thank Matthew K
Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Wonderful breakfast, the best eggs Benedict ever, great server, you must stop when you're in San Juan

1  Thank Ken B
Reviewed 3 May 2017

Wonderful! We heard about this restaurant by word of mouth as having great mojitos so we gave it a try and experienced one of our best meals of the trip. The ceviche was probably the best I’ve ever had. The fish tacos were so good that we took some to go. And yes Edna the bartender makes a glorious mojito!

1  Thank 606henryv
Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

I ordered the Mallorca Montecristo and sweet caramelized plantains and it was very delicious. I highly recommend that item for breakfast.

1  Thank gcnoserider