“Well spiced!”

Pushpa
Ranked #53 of 228 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Five of us had dinner at Pushpa. I’m the pescatarian in the group but opted for vegetarian and was happy with my meal. It is a relatively small dining room with about 10 tables. On a Sunday evening it was half full. We started with samosas. My friends tell me the chicken filling tasted little different than the vegetable variety. For the main course they raved about the chicken tikka masala. I enjoyed the dal palak (yellow lentils with spinach) and the aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower). My friends loved the garlic nan but I enjoyed the lacha parata.

Most of us ordered our food spicy, and it was! If you want only a little burn, go for the medium. I enjoyed the full flavor of the spices but found the heat edging towards too much. I would probably order a mild dish and a spicy dish in the future to balance the heat.

They had 3 types of beer: Red Stripe, Guinness, and Heineken. I was surprised they were all 350 Jamaican dollars. (I went for the Heineken.) One friend had a glass of red wine for twice that price and was unimpressed. Go for the beer!

For 5 of us and 1 take out meal we paid 18000 Jamaican or about 150 US. That included 6 beers and 1 wine.

The service was attentive. The pacing of the meal just right. This was my second visit and I would happily return.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Small place tucked away in a cull-d-sac in Kingston Jamaica - been there several times, never disappointed. Just needs a bit more on the wine selection - no menu!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

This Indian restaurant is off the beaten path, but within walking distance of the American Embassy. Sometimes, it is a relief to simply get out of Kingston traffic, which is why I found this place so appealing. My team went at lunch and had the place to ourselves. I tried the beef saagwala with spinach with a onion naan on the side. I went mild because I was warned that things heat up quickly; however, I could easily have handled medium. The dish was very good and the portion was more than enough with some to take home. My colleagues ordered beef biryani (medium) and beef vindaloo (mild) with sides of garlic naan and coconut naan. All had plenty of leftovers. The service was good and the ambience was perfect for a little Indian diner. Give it a try, man! What you waiting for?

Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

Ordered takeaway. It was awful. A vegetarian dish described as amazing on menu was frozen veg mixed with tomato sauce and cheap curry powder. Totally awful. Other vegetarian dishes much the same. No depth of flavor. Breads dry, chewy and tasteless. Will avoid here. Normally order from Tamrind or nirvana but thought I would try here. Wish I hadn't. Tamrind and nirvanna far far superior to here.

Reviewed 24 February 2017

Tucked away in a quiet street. A real gem. I had an amazing Mutton Rogan Josh along with a terrific starter. Highly recommended.