“Favorite part of our trip!!”

Punta Cana Mike's Dominican Adventure
Ranked #3 of 251 Tours in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Let us personally introduce you to the ways of the local culture that exists here on the east end of the island. From the barrios, cities and countryside, you will experience firsthand in an informal and personal manner, what makes the region what it is. Small group size ensures that you will not just be another number on the tour. Encounters are with real people going about their lives as they do every day. All tours are conducted in comfortable air conditioned vehicles and narrated in native English. We look forward to showing you the Dominican Republic we have come to know!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I cannot say enough about this excursion. If you can only do one thing in Punta Cana I strongly recommend doing this one.
Pat came and picked us up...ON TIME...at our resort in a cute, charming van that totally fit the excursion. He was so well informed on the culture and I enjoyed hearing him speak about his experiences. Our first stop was the school. I swear this experience changed my family’s life. I have 2 teenagers who are obsessed with iPhones, video games, and material things. At this school I saw my kids change. They were so engaged and sweet. They saw kids as young as 2 sitting outside the school wanting to be able to attend, but because of political issues they were not allowed in. They saw the garbage around the school. They saw the crowded classrooms....but more than anything they saw how happy and sweet these kids were. At the end of the excursion my kids both hugged me and thanked me for taking them on this excursion. That never happens. Lol
Please bring school supplies, candies, or clothing if you come. The teachers and kids really appreciate it.
Our next stop was at a chocolate/rum/cigar shop. It wasn’t really my thing and I would’ve rather done something else but I did see others enjoy it. I don’t drink rum or smoke cigars so to me it was a waste of an hour but Pat was really good at informing us of the rums and cigars.
Our last stop was Macao Beach. It was so BEAUTIFUL!!! Here we were given time to swim or walk the beach. It’s a public beach so lots of locals. Just beware of all the vendors on the beach. They are VERY pushy. We basically had to tell them to get lost cause they were relentless.
Our lunch there was the best food I’ve ever eaten. That was echoed by my husband and kids. No running water or electricity but the staff made us the most awesome meal. We had sea bass, shrimp, lobster, and mahi mahi but I think the menu varies day by day depending on what is caught. You definately don’t want to miss this experience. I swear it’s changed our lives and i am so grateful we got off our 5 star resort to get to taste the real Dominican life. Thank you Pat for an incredible day!!

1  Thank Rhonda W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)
All reviews
in 57 reviews
"el hoyo"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Loved every minute of our first and only tour in 9 visits to Punta Cana. Pat was extremely informative with the history of the DR and the culture. A real history lesson of this beautiful country. The visit to the school was priceless. The children are very thankful for gifts received. Big or small.

Our visit to rum, cocoa and cigar factory was also extremely informative. Enjoyed learning about different types of rum and aging. Thank you Luis!

The end to our tour at Macao Beach was breathtaking! Our small group of 7 gasped when we first saw it! Picking our lunch from the catch of the day and having it cooked on an open fire was a real highlight. Try the parrot fish Yum! Thank you Mama and family. Could have stayed here all day!

Would recommend to any age group. Will definitely be returning on our 10th visit! Can hardly wait! Much thanks Pat! And this is for Mike, go Habs go!

1  Thank teaconnor
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Enjoyed the Higuey-Punta Cana tour with PCP (Pat). He had extensive knowledge about the island and answered all our questions. Our tour gave us a real insight into what it is really like to live in PC and not just the glamour that your hotel shows it to be. Visiting the school is always my favorite place to go. We love to see the smiles on the kids' faces! Going to the market place was a real eye opener! Thank You PCP

3  Thank Carolf1013
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This is a great tour of the real DR, away from the exclusive Bavaro resorts. Great history and cultural lesson on both the Dominicans and the Haitian refugees. Meeting the local children and eating freshly caught fish on Macao Beach were the highlights of the trip. Pat was our guide and he was absolutely fantastic!!! We took 4 kids and they also had a positive, eye opening experience. Get off your resort and book with Punta Cana Mike!

3  Thank Robert S