“Worth a visit and a donation”
Review of Curacao Zoo

Curacao Zoo
Ranked #87 of 114 things to do in Willemstad
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are currently doing renovations: May First 2017 we celebrated the 75 Anniversary of our national ZOO, during the past 6 years major changes are occurring on our grounds. For example becoming a member of the species 360 global zoological database for the exchange and improvement of animal husbandry in captivity, we are also working on our accreditation to become a member of the global zoological organization. Our goals and mission for the future are to make of our national zoo a great area with international standards, this all cannot be completed only on the government funding, that’s why they are giving every person that visits the zoo the chance to adopt an animal or even an entire project. Upon request, we can give you an hour long educational tour. We also incorporated a social part to the development, giving a helping hand in education for our youth in the hands of the juvenile detention center, people with limitations are also very important in the development of our national ZOO, please inform yourself before your arrival of the current state, and eventually contact us for a private tour, so that you can admire the essence of the beautiful work being done. tours, can be scheduled during the week from Monday true Friday from 10AM till 2PM. For more information on our development please visit our website and click on our master plan icon.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

The zoo is worth a visit. Not many animals are on display however those who are seem to be well taken care of. There are donation boxes available to help the zoo in its renovation efforts, as the entrance is currently free. I also read recently that the zoo took over some of the animals of the former Sint Maarten Zoo that was destroyed by Hurricane Irma last year - that was another reason for me to consider donating to help the animals.

2  Thank Mihai T
in 3 reviews
"island"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 16 March 2018

i spent some time reading the negative reviews of this place before writing this, and I must say that some of the things said are a little unfair. If you are expecting the San Diego or Taronga Zoo, that is not what is here. What is here, however, is a group of people who love and care about rescuing animals on Curacao, giving them a home where they can thrive, and educating the people of Curacao to love and respect animals.

I came upon this place when I was in Curacao looking to photograph hummingbirds. I found their FB page and set a message, which was quickly answered by the managing director, Bert Isenia. He said he's seen hummingbirds there, so I drove right over.

When I got there I was welcomed like family by Bert, Judy and Hermes (their horticulturist). I took a tour of the place and I was very impressed with their love of animals and all they do with the little they have.

I learned about the abused horse (found with barbed wire in his tongue) that is now thriving. I learned that the Curacao Zoo was instrumental in helping rescue animals from the zoo in St. Maartan when it was devastated by Hurricane Irma. I heard stories of exotic animals brought to the island as pets that are now at the zoo getting the proper space and care. I saw one of the goats with her little kids that had just been born.

The Curacao Zoo is being renovated and they are doing all they can with the little funds they receive from the government of Curacao. Just like everywhere else, government restrictions and red tape tie their hands and makes running the place more difficult. The government won't even allow them to charge a nominal entrance fee to get some badly needed funds, so they depend on donations to keep the place going.

Go. Leave a donation. Enjoy your time spent with happy workers lovingly caring for animals they deeply care about.

And yes, Bert found me a hummingbird.

Carole A. Turek, MD

Reviewed 29 May 2017

This is a Zoo with a lot of memories and history.
The Zoo is being reconstructed.And we cant wait to se our new Zoo.
The staff and volunteers are doing an amazing job.A lot of work to do but not impossible.Keep up with the great work!

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

It's been a long time go i had been there. It was great, loving what they are doing with Curacao Zoo. It's a work in progress, but I could see and feel that they are doing their best with love and passion. Botanical garden in the making is just waaaww. ALL the beautiful colors of nature in one place. My advise is: ask for a private tour. They will make it happen and I guarantee you, you would be AMAZED

Curacao Z, Public Relations Manager at Curacao Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Thank you for taking your time to give your review. We truly appreciate your support hope to see you soon