“Best meal we had all week”

Restaurante Cafe del Oriente
Ranked #71 of 858 Restaurants in Havana
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: Cuban, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cuban gourmet restaurant, with author cuisine, located at San Francisco Square, in Old Havana. A wide variety of Cuban cocktails and international beverages. Trolley services.
Reviewed 29 August 2016

If we'd found this the first night we wouldn't have eaten anywhere else. Whilst it is difficult to say whether we were thrilled because of how it compared to everywhere else in Havana, or whether it would genuinely stand on its own is hard to say. I do need to say that the wine list was quite good. Service was excellent! Entertainment was lovely as was the ambiance. Members of our party tried the steak tartare and felt it was the best they've had EVER, and they have tried the best.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

We came with a small group of colleagues for dinner. The lobster bisque appetizer was outstanding, as was the main course. They serve excellent wines as well. The live piano music and air conditioning made this such a pleasant experience. I will definitely come back here if I can, and I have been here twice already. Once for lunch, and once for dinner. The first time was lunch in the Summer of 2014, and we were allowed to sit upstairs in the big dining room. also with live piano music. A pleasure to visit.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

Café del Oriente is an Government Restaurant which means that is administrate by the tourism bureau of Cuba. In a classical and refine ambient its a great option for dinner or lunch while you are exploring Havana Vieja.
The prices are above the average so therefore quality of food and the service are better and runs in a very classic way.
I recommend to visit by night when the lights of Plaza São Francisco are turned on to see the beautiful outside and different atmosphere.

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

I recently had dinner at Cafe del Oriente since it was close to the hotel where I was staying. The service was exceptional- the waitress was attentive and polite. The wine option was very good. My food was "okay" but nothing exceptional. I enjoyed my experience but the food could've been better.

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

The food is delicious and the atmosphere spectacular. One of our party had the best steak tartare they had ever eaten and they travel a lot for business. If you order a crepe suzette or baked Alaska for desert you won't be disappointed. The house band will play atmospheric music whilst a show is made of lighting the desert. It definitely is an occasion restaurant and well worth a visit. Sometimes they have trouble with their cars machines so it is easier to take cash.