Bidiyah Desert camp(Wahiba Sands)
US$118
US$89
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Arabian Oryx Camp(Wahiba Sands)
  • Breakfast included
Safari Desert Camp(Wahiba Sands)
  • Breakfast included
Desert Wonders Camp(Wahiba Sands)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsswimming poolsand dunesdune bashingone nightdesert experienceno alcoholan adventuregreat funopen airgreat experiencedinner buffetcamel ridefour wheel drivenice buffetoutdoor bathroomwatch the sunsettoilet and shower
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We came here with a tour group (Cox and Kings - 9 people) so didn't have to worry about getting there and back. The Sheikh tents don't have air conditioning and arriving in 30+ heat was a bit oppressive. Open air shower room. (Please get rid of little plastic bottles of toiletries - think of the plastic waste) No wardrobes but the room is big enough to live out of your suitcase. Tiny pool but a welcome amenity. Excellent food guided by the Arab motto of 'Never Knowingly Underfed'.
Dune bashing was amusing and scary in equal measures. The sunset very beautiful. Went out at three in the morning to photograph the Milky Way - the almost total darkness was a photographers dream. Not troubled by noise from other guests but scared witless by a noise which I could have sworn was from some evil creature on my pillow - scorpion? There was absolutely nothing in the room and boy! did we hunt with torches but the following morning I guessed it was a bird scrabbling around in the tree which leant against the tent. Phew.
Downsides - maybe not for the faint hearted? Sand and grit got into my camera which packed up - beware. Heartbreaking amounts of plastic in the desert and in the Beduin village on the way in - the "No litter in Oman" doesn't apply here and I would hope the resort does something about it soon. Not right.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This is a well-managed camp about 40 minutes drive into the Wahiba desert. There are four different levels of tent options. We had the sheihk tent, which has no aircon, but has a private bathroom under the sky. The tent is extremely hot during the day, but cools immediately when the sun sets, and is comfortable to sleep during the night, when you keep the windows open for ventilation. There is a small pool area and a beautiful restaurant area. The dinner and breakfast buffet were very good. For a good view of the setting sun, you should drive up the dynes – or get you driven up the dynes. As many hotels in Oman, this is a dry resort, so no alcohol served here.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2018

I have to say that your experience here may differ depending upon the number of guests that are staying. I heard that immediately before our visit they had a party of 100 noisy guests. In contrast we were a party of 10 and most of the other guests were couples or small groups. Result, a peaceful and highly enjoyable stay. We didn't expect much food wise but in fact both the buffet dinner and the breakfast way exceeded our expectations.

We drove up to the top of the dunes for the sunset and gazed at the stars. There was not a sound during the night and whilst the bed was on the firm side, the tent was perfectly adequate for our needs.

Service was excellent. No alcohol here but you don't need it when you are at one with nature.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hpbeebie
Reviewed 23 March 2018

This desert resort is a joke. The ‘cabins’ are very shabby and ill equipped. No where to hang anything so you have to leave your clothes in your case. The floor covering is old and looks extremely unhygienic. We have stayed in desert resorts in a few locations and never had such grotty conditions.

Room Tip: Don’t bother.
Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2018

I have been there three times now, and I have to say that while I loved it the first time, I find it is degrading:
- First of all prices keep increasing, and whilst I found it was a fair price to value ratio the first time, I now find that the price is preposterous for what you get
- It is targeting more and more bigger groups, so in some situations it is no longer a nice and relaxing camp, but you have the sense you are in "mass" holiday vacation, which would be OK for a different price, certainly not for the price they ask now

Stayed: January 2018