All reviews glass windows dirt road hire car underfloor heating resident cat our honeymoon pool deck special place beautiful place loved every minute plettenberg bay monkeyland birds bruce diesel jacuzzi lodge
Reviewed 22 March 2018

My wife and I had the wonderful privilege of celebrating our 19th anniversary at this magnificent venue. Stayed in the honeymoon suite, which was truly special. The venue, food, spa treatment and staff made this an unforgettable experience. Highly recommended...!!

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Wow ! What a disapontment. Where do i start ?
After planning the trip from January for our anniversary celebration to be greeted with such an anticlimax.
1. The manager Lize-Mari Delport was very unhelpful and unwelcoming from the time of bookings. The lodge doesn't have a EFT services- I had to email her multiple times to get bank details to avoid carrying cash to the lodge . With no response to my many emails for days .

2.I requested in January for there to be no dogs ( I have a terrible dear of dogs which stems from childhood memories and bad experiences) . Despite this communication and request - there were dogs the first morning we spent there .If she could have told me that they need their dogs on site I could have easily took my money and booked else where . Atleast I then would have had a restful weekend .

3.We were then woken up by a cat in our bed at 3am!
The least you could expect from the general manager of a 4* lodge the next day is an apology for the disturbed sleep by the paying guest ! Sleep disturbance from an unexpected pet in ur room at 3am ! But all we got was excuses and belittlement for not being petlovers!
To end the weekend- there was no hot water for our shower in Sunday morning .

The 2 stars given in the rating is only for the chef and rest of the staff ( excluding Miss Delport). They made us feel so welcome and make amazing meals .

They will not be seeing me ever again at Trogon .Miss Delport needs to work on her attitude .

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Nicci B, LODGE PROPRIETOR at Trogon House and Forest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Hi there Nokwazi M,

Many thanks for the review of your stay with us this past weekend. It appears very clear that you had an issue with Lize-Mari from the beginning of your booking and we are struggling to understand why?

She responded the following day after you made your booking on the 1st January 2018 and has several emails between the 2 of you thereafter, she also called you on 3 separate occasions to accommodate the changes and answer the questions regarding your reservation. We do have EFT facilities as well as an online credit card facility, both of which you made use of.

We were aware you had requested no dogs at the lodge during your stay, both Lize-Mari and I explained to you that the reason the dogs are at the lodge is to deter the Vervet Monkeys from causing so much damage and hassling guests.

On Saturday morning, after breakfast, Lize-Mari specifically asked if you would mind her allowing the dogs out for 10 minutes to get rid of the huge troop of monkeys that were all over the lodge deck. You agreed to this as you told her you were going to be in your room until your massage. In the picture you took, you can clearly see Riley standing at the edge of the deck looking up into the trees due to the monkey activity. I have spoken to all my staff and they have informed me that not once did you ever come face to face with the 2 small dogs. We asked your permission to allow them around the lodge for 10 minutes while you were in your room and you had agreed.

On Sunday morning, Lize-Mari apologized twice about Diezel getting into your room mysteriously. She apologized via sms and again at breakfast…I asked my other staff and they confirmed this. She also mentioned that we would investigate how Diezel entered your room as you indicated all the doors and windows were closed. I sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, Lize-Mari also COMPED your drinks as a gesture of an apology.

We were completely unaware that you had no hot water on Sunday morning, this is not something that you mentioned at breakfast or at checkout. We would have attended to the issue immediately had you informed us and we are very sorry about this. None of the other guests had any issues with hot water that morning, nor did any other area of the lodge and we sincerely apologise that this happened to you. And we are even more sorry that you didn’t bring it to our attention so that we could have corrected the problem.

Once again I’m sorry that you felt Lize-Mari was so unhelpful and unwelcoming, considering that she personally checked you in on the Friday and assisted throughout your stay with the last minute changes to your SPA booking, as well as spoke to both you and your husband in detail about the attractions and activities of the area, I’m still struggling to understand why you feel she has such a bad attitude?

We appreciate you spending your anniversary weekend with us and I’m so sorry it wasn’t to your expectation.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

We had a wonderful overnight stay at Trogon, the room was beautiful and very comfortable. We had dinner there that evening which was super romantic as they lit candles everywhere and we sat by the fire. Would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 7 March 2018

The most tranquil of escapes nearby Plettenburg. This is a hidden gem tucked behind monkeyland in the Crags. We booked two nights in a deluxe Forest Suite, and this has an exquisite view of the forest. As the unit is raised in height, you feel as though you are in the trees. There are not any curtains, so expect to be awoken with the sun to a chorus of birds in the forest. Your shower with a view of the forest almost feels like an outdoor shower, and the entire room itself feels like a spa. Expect excellent food from your host, and friendly and helpful staff. If you are a honeymoon couple, book a private spa session. That is private access to the spa room with a Jacuzzi, Sauna, bed, and order in the food platter. The platter is more than enough, and this private spa session was a highlight of our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Stay in the deluxe forest suite to have your view be the forest
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We have slept over here for 3 nights! And yes the novelty of you being set in the forest is amazing yes it is. The food was good the view was amazing and that shower... looking out onto the forest, that was awesome.

The nicest people work here! very helpful and organised and soft spoken!

The massages in the bottom area with the sauna was really worth it , oh yes and the jacuzzi!

What i didnt like yes was the pipe that burst about 50 m away from our room and it stank!

The no phone reception was very discomforting and we could phone our kids at home.

Better luck next time March 2016

Room Tip: Dont choose the room at the pool side, it doesnt give the same experience
  • Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple