“Superb Dining Experience!”

Din Tai Fung (101 Branch)
Ranked #9 of 1,302 Restaurants in Xinyi District
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

I rarely get satisfied from dining out, specially in my home country, because they are all poor to sub-par. But lo and behold! I have experienced something which is probably the BEST dining experience this 2016 at Din Tai Fung - Taipei101.

Take Note though: This branch is ALWAYS packed with customers (1 Michelin Star, Superb Food) and if you want to get tables, you SHOULD reserve them beforehand. If you choose to walk in, you may have to wait 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of the crowd.

All of the people I met and became frends with in Taipei all said that the best Xiaolongbao is in Din Tai Fung. And they were absolutely correct! Me and my Family went there on a crowded Friday night for dinner and we had to wait for about 40 minutes to be seated. Once our number was called, we were immediately greeted with genuine smiles from all of the crew - who were all very busy managing the queue and what not. I am going to summarize this review via bullets, so you won't get bored of reading haha.

PROS:
1. Cleanliness - their store is very clean, considering the fact that thousands of not hundreds of customers were already ahead of us that day. No sign of dirt anywhere.

2. Crew - All of the staff were smiling when they see you look at them, and they were all very attentive of your needs. If you run out of drinking water, you will never need to ask, they will approach you with haste and refill your glass.

3. ATTENDANTS WITH DIFFERENT NATIONALITIES - This one surprised me the most. I am not sure if other Michelin starred restaurants have this, but here at Din Tai Fung, most attendants are of your own nationality! Like us, we were attended by a fellow Filipino, who was very attentive and polite. Kudos to the management for thinking outside the box!

4. Food - Need I say more? Their dumplings are THE BEST. I have tasted so many Xiaolongbao's in the Philippines, but only this restaurant proved worthy of making them. I have yet to try their newly opened branch in SM Megamall, Philippines, so I can't judge if they are the same.

CONS:
1. None really. Aside from the very long wait time, which is to be expected.

Date of visit: October 2016
Write a ReviewReviews (4,290)

Reviewed 6 October 2016 via mobile

We have eaten at 4 different Ding Tai Fung locations (Taipei and California), and they are all pretty much the same. They specializes in soup dumplings that are made freshly daily.

The dumpling makers prepare the dumplings in the kitchen behind a glass wall. It's pretty amazing how fast they put out those little suckers.

If you are ever in the NYC area (midtown, Chinatown, and Flushing) try Joe's Shanghai. I think their crab soup dumplings are even better.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 6 October 2016

I am still dreaming of how yummy these dumplings were! The hot broth, the array of flavors and options, presentation...the list goes on. Entertaining to watch the dumpling crew diligently and effortlessly making the perfect, plump little treats. I strongly recommend trying this place-but arrive early as the queue gets very long quickly! Try the truffle option (forgot the full name) and be aware that your eyes may be bigger than your stomach! Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 4 October 2016

So I'm a huge fan of XLB (soup dumplings) and have been to several other DTF outside Taiwan. I am always curious to see how consistent the XLB are and DTF never disappoints :) There's always a line and there's always a wait. I have to say the lines in Taiwan move the quickest when compared those in USA. I waited for almost 2 hours in Seattle and wasn't happy about it.

Must try the pork and crab XLB, and then I also love the taro one. You won't be disappointed and might even be addicted like me :)

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed 3 October 2016

This place ROCKS!!! Our son suggested we go, and even told us what to order... and we somewhat followed his recommendations! Soup dumplings (officially known as Xiao lon bao, and potstickers were awesome! Don't be afraid to order them spicy, because they have just enough spice, but not too much! The soup dumplings (we had both pork and chicken) were outstanding, and kind of fun to eat (poke them so the soup runs into your soup spoon, then sip the soup and eat the dumpling) They even have a card to show you how to do this. We got someone else's pork & shrimp spicy potstickers, and loved them! (and the house gave them to us complimentary). Also, we loved the fact that the server suggested we not over order, but see how we did with a smaller order, and then order more if we wanted them. That's great service! Also, very "English friendly"... both the menu and the servers were fluent in English. The prices are also very good, except if you order the shrimp saute, which is a bit more expensive, but still not bad.

Date of visit: October 2016