Lock in the lowest price from these sites
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 22, 2019 via mobile

It was our first time to visit Philippines. Started low, means no much expectations and having a peaceful days. Yes, Mermaid is perfect for that.
But!
The rooms are not that they show. After arriving we had a room with twinbead. ok. But the washroom floor was totally wet from leaking waterpipe. Argued to have another room next day (so did others we heard). But had it!
Islandhopping is the main issue. The boss (Jeffrey?) was not interested in arranging anything. So we had to make and arrange our trips by ourselves (asking other guests). Also the bosses wife told us, when asking hopping, that he was too drunk to do anything🙄.
Luckily we got other guests to go.
The place is nice and peacefull (allthough roosters startimg their 'singing' at 3.30am!).
Electricity worked 24/7, but water did not. We had water (shower, toilete etc
) only occasionally
Use only botled water for drinking.
Transport is an issue too!
Afterall, a nice place, but....

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2018 via mobile

Mermaid Paradise Resort, is the place that I can recommend for all of you because it has a peaceful place where you can enjoy playing in the sands with your kids, friends and family. Just come here to enjoy!!!

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2018

This is the worst place I have ever stayed at. I have traveled a lot and I am used to a little discomfort. But this place.. I just wanted to leave the whole time i was there.

The wifi didn’t work, it only started working on the morning of our departure on the third day. They use the pool as a pont for their fish. The boat transfer to Port Barton is only free at check in and check out, if you want to use the transfer it’s 200 pesos one way per person and they don’t want to pick you up after sunset so you have to rent another boat to get back. We were with four people so a round trip costed us p2300. When we arrived and wanted a free pick up, we couldn’t reach them to pick us up because their phone number was not available. The dinner in the restaurant was so bad that you really need to go to Port Barton every night. They told us we could pay with PayPal to pay them but when we wanted to do that they said it was offline and god mad with us for not having cash. Also, they charge you for the coffee in the coffee corner that looks like it’s free. We only had electricity and cold water in the night, during the day they closed it off because they are building on their property. The staff doesn’t speak good enough English to communicate with property. They made me really uncomfortable. The bathroom needs to be picked up and wasn’t clean. In the three nights we stayed they didn’t clean our rooms (there was a lot of sand on the floor) or give us more toilet paper. When I asked for more toilet paper they never gave it to us, in the end I had to take some from the public toilet.

Room tip: Just don't go to this resort.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Iris K
MermaidparadiseJR, Owner at Mermaid Paradises JR Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2018

Hello sir
Our pick schedule is 1:00 pm ,5:30pm and 7:30pm ,we don't have whole day free boat trip to Port Barton as we post this information in bar .
And you want take dinner and drink in town , we used our boat free send you to barton , after you finished ,its very late already ,you called us for another free pick up . we are really sorry , we need paid diesel ,the OT of boat captain and motor man ,so we told you need charge 200 php per head ,total 800 for 4 pax . you were so angry in line and blamed us . At end you find another boat from town ,it cost 2300 php .
The coffee price was written and post above the table and also in menu .
We accept paypal ,but you tried many times failed using it . you refused change money in Port barton because exchange rate there is bad . So my partner Jeffrey went together with you to Puerto to get your payment .But you only have credit card , cant withdrew any money from ATM, so we asked UNO Hotel swiping your credit card and refund to us next day . so totally we paid 500php for the van , food at least 500php ,and one night hotel 1000php(because uno hotel cant give cash to us same day ) and whole day salary of Jeffrey .

Reviewed August 16, 2018

This was the WORST place I have ever seen! The facilities advertised are NOT what are advertised! The pool is slimy and sludgy green with a strong smell of stagnant water wafting from it! When I asked her why it was green, the owner told me it's not a swimming pool and she keeps fish in it even though a pool was advertised!

The battered ping pong table has gaping holes all over it and pointless to even try to play and the kayaks were cracked and jaggared and when asked for the wifi password, we were told that we would be charged for it even though it is advertised as free wifi!

In addition to the extremely exaggerated and dishonest description of the facilities on the resort, the place was covered in chicken POO, ingrained into all corners and patio areas which obviously haven't been cleaned anywhere over the last few months! The bed sheets were covered in indelible smears and brown stains.

I am very well travelled and have lived in South East Asia for a number of years and I am used to being in a biotic environment but this is the first time I have smelt such a rancid smell lingering in the dirt-encrusted room and wafting throughout the resort.

The atmosphere was extremely hostile and staff unapproachable. Once we had booked the resort, we were given two numbers to call so that the resort could send the boat to come and get us. Once we arrived in Port Barton, we spent the next 3 hours trying to get through on either of these numbers with no luck! We asked the locals who were extremely helpful and told us that this resort often ignores there customers and our stranded situation was not uncommon for their guests! After paying a fair bit of money to a local fisherman to eventually take us to the resort and eventually finding the owner who seemed shocked and annoyed at our arrival with no apologies, squeezed us into a table in between her cooking and office area, we sat uncomfortably for the next 20 mins with no signs of being taken to our room which we eventually had to ask to go to!

We made the decision to go back to Port Barton and see if we could find a room somewhere else which we did straight away for a fraction of the price compared to Mermaid Paradise Resort, as well as being clean with warm and welcoming staff where we had an amazing time and enjoyed every minute.

I have since read a number of reviews of the resort and lots are saying a similar sort of thing.

I strongly suggest that anyone looking to stay here, please do not pay before hand and check the resort out first as she refused to refund any of our three nights we were supposed to stay!

The owners of this resort are clearly out to exploit any amount of money out of their guests in any way they see possible with no remorse whatsoever.

Room tip: Go somewhere else
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank hazelcox487

Hi
You booked one time our room and failed to get the room refund, so you made 3 times bad review in tripadvisor ,1 time in booking.com ,1 time in our facebook, 1 time in google . IT is really not easy for you .

Reviewed August 16, 2018

My time at Mermaid was extremely short lived. For you to fully understand how badly I felt about this place then it’s important to know that I had already fully paid for 3 nights when I had no other choice but to leave after one hour.

Firstly, we were given two mobile numbers to call when we arrived at Port Barton so we could be collected. One of the numbers did not connect and the other rang out. We were stranded for quite a few hours until eventually I had to pay a local fisherman to carry my wife over for a considerable fee. When we arrived, no apology and just made to sit down and wait.

As my wife and I sat in the bar we felt very uncomfortable. We were surrounded by people that we did not know whether they were staff, guests or people the owner knew. I noticed a table tennis table which I had seen on the advert. This had about 5 gaping holes in it. Not small holes, but holes big enough for the ball to fall through. When I asked the owner about this she gave a very stubborn response that it was fine to play TT on & that people were playing on it before I arrived.

I asked the owner for the WiFi code as the ad says free WiFi. When I asked her for this she told me that she would charge me at the end. She now denies saying this and has lied through her teeth about a few things I have questioned her about.

The ad made no mention of a pool, but it did show as a facility and there are clearly pictures of a pool in the images. The pool was green and smelt. Despite what the owner says this was being used as a pool as I watched a small boy swimming in it on a SUP board and it had inflatables inside of it. It was disgusting. The owner has again stated that the pool was never mentioned and is not for swimming. I have noticed that on TRIP ADVISOR is does state that there is a pool.

Eventually, I had to approach the staff to ask to see our room. We were taken to the room by a staff member and another person who I had thought was a guest. We opened the door and the room was vile. It was dirty and stained. The bed sheets had stains on them and were an off colour. It put me off immediately.

We sat outside the room and saw the filth all over the hotel grounds. Animal faeces mostly that had not been cleared up. Port Barton is a beautiful place and does have a lot of wild animals, but the leavings had clearly not been cleared up for a while in the hotel. There was an overwhelming smell that lingered throughout the grounds.

They do apparently offer a shuttle boat to and from Port Barton, but this is only a few times a day and does not allow you much time or an evening in Port Barton. We had to jump on the boat when the staff were travelling to Port Barton.

To get to the boat we had to use a kayak. The kayak was very old and damaged. It still worked, but where there was holes in it, it made for very uncomfortable sitting.

We left Mermaid with our bags in the hope we would be able to sort other accommodation which we did. If we had stayed at Mermaid it would have ruined our final three days holiday and our entire PB stay – PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. There are some lovely little rooms by the Port that are always available.

During our incredible holiday in Palawan we only came across one bad place and one awful person. This was the Mermaid Paradises JR Resort and it’s owner Lossy Fan.

Room tip: Look elsewhere - or just go to Port Barton where there are lots of little lovely clean places
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank S5038YHdavidh

Its so sad to saw you posted every where .I choose answer this review even English is not my mother language .
You checked in and left without tell us ,after one day ,you send me a email to me ask me refund the room ,otherwise you will make bad reviews to us everywhere . For me ,its really NOT big money , and I very clearly wrote in my email if you ask me face to face , it is ok refund 2 nights to you but you seems like choose a hard threaten way .
after I refused , you start complaining to booking.com .reasons like no one serve you , a lot strange people in bar, room dirty , swimming pool not a real swimming pool . charge you using wifi ........OK let me also speak ourselves
1. when you arrived , our boat captain and motor man help send your bags to your room immediately . And maybe 3 mins sitting in bar, youre served fresh lime juice , but your gf shouted to us whats this ? she looked so scared , seems like we served a poison
2. then you ask me about wifi , I said sorry now the pocket wifi is low battery , I need charge first ,pls wait maybe 10 mins . then maybe 20mins later you came out from room and sit on beach , I immediately wrote down the password and sent to your hand . How possible we asked you pay the wifi ? we open 2 years , the wifi is always free although the signal sometimes really bad .
3. you asked me about the swimming pool , I explained it not a swimming pool ,we use it for keep the rain water and fish . because here it not easy to get water so we need keep rain water for flowers and plants .In raining season ,every day rain , every day fresh water , how possible terrible smell ???
4. we use kayak to help our guests get to beach because the water is very shallow and boat cant get to close to beach , and some guests don't like wet their shoes . so pls kindly tell me , even the kayak is old which we really used epoxy fixed the whole , how can it makes uncomfortable ? any way the fixed whole is on front end.
5. The room is simple ,but I'm very sure it is clean , after the housekeeping cleaned ,I double checked all the room .
6. You also complain some strange people in bar ,as I explained in my email ,they are also guests , some Chinese and some Spanish . For me ,I don't understand why you also complained this ,they are normal lovely people, and you cant ask us just only serve you both .
7. I understand you try to get your refund ,but pls next time try talk face to face if same situation ,threaten of making bad review doesn't all the times works . you choose leave without telling anyone and Not Yet pay the beer , you looks like scare a lot to our workers, our drinks ,our other guests ,. you look so nervous and unsatisfied to everything .