“A great way to discover wineries in Gigondas and Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Highly recommended!”

Decouvertes Vigneronnes
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Gigondas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: PRIVATE WINE TOUR OFFERS FULL DAY and HALF DAY TOURIn a large confortable van, I guide you throught the most prestigious vineyards of Southern Rhone.Usualy I start at 9am by a stop on round peppels CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE vineyards for "Terroirs" explanations as influence of the soils, grappes, climate and humans & mecanicals works. Next I offer a free walk around the old 14th century pope's castle at the heart of the village.Winery visit start at 10.30am and I provide all details from the harvest room reception to the wine making, oak maturing and bottling cellars. 11.30 is the best time for enjoying white and red full bodied Chateauneuf du Pape's wines.Depending your expectations, I can suggest a lunch in a partner restaurant, from local snaking to gastronomic places.Afternoon follow in GIGONDAS ( from the latin jucunditas meaning "joice & jubilation"). There I open for you the doors of my best wine makers friends for unforgetable and sensitives moments around their wines and their sharing conviviality.On the way back I often stop in a last estate located in BEAUMES DE VENISE who gets two productions : vine roots graft, and a large selection of wines as VACQUEYRAS, BEAUMES DE VENISE, MUSCAT, GIGONDAS.Full day and half day tour forms are exactly the same, just the the visits durations will be changed. Anyway, all my tours are private, so we can customize them to the closer to your expectations.Details from 2 to 8 persons :Half Day Tour departure is at 8.30 am or 1.30 pm - Duration 5 hours - Charges door to doors, all fees included are 65€ per persons - Departure from your hotel or accomodation in a limit of 30km around Avignon.Full Day Tour departure is at 8.30 am - Duration 9 hours - Charges door to doors, all fees included except lunch are 120€ per persons - Departure from your hotel or accomodation in a limit of 30km around Avignon.Details from 9 to 50 persons on request DECOUVERTES VIGNERONNES gets partnership with excursion company and propose private wine tours, all year long in the most famous vineyards of southern Rhone Valley as CHATEAUNEUF DU PAPE, GIGONDAS, BEAUMES DE VENISE or VACQUEYRAS.History and economy of those places, winerys visits, educationnal wine tasting wil be provided by Julien, professionnal and local guide, graduated in vine-growing & oenology.
Reviewed 19 September 2016

In the past, we’ve made the mistake of visiting wine regions only to leave feeling we hadn’t gotten a true feel for the area. So, on our recent trip into the Provence/Southern Rhone area I thought I'd check to see what professional tours were available. Decouvertes Vigneronnes was the first search result and had great reviews, so we called Julien and booked for the day of our arrival there.

Julien was great! He picked us up at our B&B (the highly recommended Le Mas Terre des Anges near Sarrians) and took us on what turned out to be a slightly more than 4 hour tour of wineries and vineyards in the area.

We started in Châteauneuf-du-Pape with a tour of Domaine de Beaurenard. Since our visit was during harvest, we were lucky enough to see grapes coming in for de-stemming and crushing. We saw their wine caves and sampled wines in their tasting room. Julien then took us to the old church at the top of the beautiful little town for photo opps and an optional self-guided stroll down through the village. After meeting Julien at the base of the village, the next destination was a beautiful vineyard to see the impressive rocks surrounding the vines that typify the growing conditions in the area.

Next up was the gorgeous village of Gigondas. After another self-guided tour down through the town, we headed into the impressive Caveau du Gigondas to taste multiple wines from the area (all very good, BTW).

The highlight of our day was a visit with the matriarch of the Domaine La Bouissiere winery, Genevieve in her tasting room. Julien knew her well from his days living in the village. What a lady and character!.. and the wines were excellent. We left with multiple bottles and smiles on our faces.

We also had an enjoyable time sitting down and tasting wines at a shop near the Caveau (on their terrace) before heading off to Vacqueyras.

In Vacqueyras, we stopped at the biodynamic winery, Domaine La Ligière. Julien took us through a tasting of several of their wines in their intimate tasting room. All very good. We left with more bottles.

As Julien dropped us off at our B&B, we thought that our day had been spent in the best way possible. If you’re into wine and want to tour the area, book with Julien! He tailors the day to your wine interest and knowledge. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 7 September 2016

A wonderful day out in the Cote Du Rhone with Julien. Julien has a great knowledge of wine and is a local of the area. His local contacts ensure you have complete access into all of the wineries and other venues you visit.
We took a private full day tour with Julien and were impressed with every aspect of the day out.

Reviewed 16 February 2016

We met Julien in front of the cave cooperative on the square of Gigondas. Julien gave an informative overview before we set off on foot to walk through the village, he spoke of interesting anecdotes and some history, pointing out meaningful places and features. We then drove down into the vineyards to study - and taste - the grapes. He took his time with us, explaining in detail all about the French "terroir" and what makes each wine so variable. He brought us to cellars of wine makers whom he knows well, and explained the ins and outs of crushing the grapes and fermenting the juice. We had the good fortune to witness a fresh load of grapes being unloaded and processed. During the wine tasting, we learned the proper way to pull in air while swishing to get the fullest possible taste. Julien is patient, and his knowledge runs deep. He personalizes the outing to the level of interest and prior knowledge of the group. We had a great time with him. Highly recommended!

1  Thank CuisineKaren
Reviewed 8 January 2015 via mobile

My friend and I booked a southern Rhone wine tour of wine makers and vineyards. Julien was our guide and was absolutely amazing. Fun, hands-on and educational. Julien even took us to on an impromptu meeting w one of my favorite winemakers in the region (domaine la Bouissiere) for a private wine taste. I highly recommend this company's tours. He shows you aspects of wine making that you ordinarily would not get to see. Well done!

2  Thank toddmburger