Cornwall Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Travelodge Hotel Hobart Airport(Cambridge)
Beltana Hotel-Motel(Lindisfarne)
  • Pool
City View Motel(Montagu Bay)
Hatcher's Manor(Richmond)
  • Restaurant
All reviewshome baked breadb bwonderful hospitalityrichmond roada wonderful place to stayanother reviewerstayed for nightsshort drivefreshly laid eggsthe main houseown mealsstrawberrieslittle thingsliving areahire carhome away from homeon arrival
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 18, 2018

I was a bit hesitant in staying in a B&B but WOW amazing!
We had one side of the main house which hadh two bedrooms, a bathroom, separate toilet, kitchen, lounge and dining room. It was more than we could ask for. Peta (owner) provided fresh home baked bread, freshly laid eggs, freshly picked berries, butter and milk plus much more. The cottage is based on a farm near Richmond with amazing views. It was so comfortable we could have stayed for so much longer. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The bed was so comfortable. The food provided spectacular. The views amazing and it was so nice and quiet yet close to Richmond
  • Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Peta E, Owner at Cornwall Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2018

Thank you for your amazing review and we are pleased that you enjoyed staying at our property. Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 18, 2017 via mobile

I would love to thank Peta and Alec for such a wonderful place to stay. It's like a home away from home but BETTER! The effort that Peta and Alex go to to ensure you have quality essentials is second to none. But not only that, you get that extra special touch of warmth and hospitality.
Fresh made bread, fresh laid eggs, home grown tomatoes and homemade jam too!
On arrival Peta greeted us with a smile and showed us around. Such a lovely cottage feel with super comfy beds and all the amenities.
My girls loved helping with the chickens (feeding and collecting eggs) and on our last day finally got to pat the foal.
Peta was really great in helping with local shops and things to see and went out of her way to make sure our stay went without a hitch, even keeping an eye on our departure flight as there was a risk of it being cancelled due to an accident at the airport.
Even after we left Peta posted some items my girls left behind that I'd missed.
If you want to Stay somewhere that is central to everything Hobart has to offer, amongst wineries and superb cheese makers, with Hosts who really care about their guests then this is a must.
We will be staying here again for sure when we come back to Hobart.
Thank You both for making our stay so comfortable and warm, we trulely felt welcome.
And the view is beautiful ❤

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family
Peta E, Owner at Cornwall Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2017

Thank you for posting your positive review. It was a pleasure to have you and the girls stay and it was great to spend time with them feeding the hens and collecting the eggs. Not long after you left we had our 2nd foal arrive a week early so it is a busy time here at present with 2 young ones to watch over.
Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 10, 2017

Cornwall Cottage was clean and comfortable enough, but I am struggling to find reason to recommend it. A number of little things conspired to leave us with a poor impression.

Firstly, it is not a cottage. It is a separate wing of a house. Sure, it has a separate entrance and amenities, but the word "cottage" suggests a small but separate building. Nothing in the description says otherwise. I'm not exactly young, but I was made to feel like I was staying in my grandmother's house and I wasn't allowed to touch anything, It was all very prissy. As another reviewer put it, it was like we were staying in someone else's house.

They advertised "home-baked bread". Sorry, but bread from a bread machine doesn't qualify as home-baked bread. I'd have much preferred some artisan bread from a local bakery. It was nice, but not special. Certainly not worth the 4-5 hours of preparation she told another unhappy reviewer was required.

I booked via Trivago which directed me to hotels.com. The booking confirmation stated pay the property direct and I could cancel up to one month before the booking, and if I cancelled later than that there would be a penalty of one night's accomodation. No mention of a deposit required. So I was a bit surprised when they immediately and without notice charged my credit card with a 50% deposit. They had no authority to do this! They also said there would be a $30 cancellation fee applicable to all cancellations, regardless of when they were made. And they said no refund unless they could find another booking. They should know they can't change the terms and conditions after a booking is made - that's the law.

Like another reviewer, I had to call to ask for the wifi password. I was told in a somewhat exasperated voice (like I was an idiot) that it was written on a card on the cupboard next to the kitchen. Yes it was, but that's not where I would have expected it to be - I went through the services directory several times trying to find it. I also made the mistake of jokingly saying that it was for my son (when actually I needed it to check work emails) and also received the lecture about not downloading large amounts of data. As that reviewer said, if you are going to offer free wifi, state any conditions at the outset, or live with the consequences. It's 2017, large data downloads are a fact of life.

When I booked, somehow the guest information was lost and it was entered as 2 adults, instead of 2 adults and one child. I had a late adult addition to take it up to 4 persons, which I assumed wouldn't be a problem as it was a 4-bed property. We'd just fix that up when we got there. But when we alighted from our car with 4 persons including (shock, horror), a child, I was interrogated, "where are they staying?" and made to feel like I was deliberately trying to deceive them and get away with paying less. It's advertised as "kid-friendly" but nothing I saw was remotely that.

Check-out was similar. I had to drop the fourth adult to another property 10 mins up the road, so at 9:30 am the two of us jumped in the car, and immediately the lady of the house ran out, obviously thinking we were doing a runner as we hadn't yet settled. A bit silly given she already had my credit card details! She emphasised that we had to vacate at 10:00 am sharp. I'm not sure what would happen if we left at 10:05, maybe she'd charge us another night's accommodation. As I was about to drive off, she stopped me again, reminding me that I still had to settle the account! Yes, I said, I understand that (!).

While we were gone, my wife (who was still there with our son) was in the bathroom at 9:45 am getting ready when the gentleman of the house wanders into the "cottage" and into the bathroom! Didn't hear the hair dryer, apparently. He was politely but firmly told to leave.

I returned at 9:58, but everything was already outside ready to load into the car. My wife felt she had to get out under pressure of the proprietors hovering over her.

I stay in many different properties here in Australia and overseas - probably 15 to 20 every year, for work and pleasure. I've never been made to feel as uncomfortable as at Cornwall "Cottage". Sorry, but I cannot recommend it. I certainly will not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
Peta E, Owner at Cornwall Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2017

Operating a B&B business is not as easy as some people think! It is hard to please everyone and when a nasty review such as this comes along I feel like giving up but since this guest left I have had 2 groups in and they were an absolute joy to host as are the vast majority. I will try to address all the issues and some I can improve on but some are out of my hands.

1. Cornwall Cottage is the name of our home which, as the reviewer points out, has a separate wing divided off and is used as guest accommodation. My own website has a detailed description stating it is a “conjoined” building but some of the 3rd party booking platforms I am listed on do not provide all the details and is something I have tried to address in the past without success.

2. I have tried to create a “home away from home” experience so the “cottage’ is furnished with quality fabrics and fittings and all the comforts a home has to offer but I do accept that we do not all have the same tastes. I have a high number of repeat guests who obviously must like what is offered and those who do not are maybe too polite to say so.

3. The bread I offer is baked in a bread making machine in my own home which enables me to offer guests several varieties to choose from. To provide an “artisan” style bread would be difficult as it would have to be ordered and collected a day prior so would not be as fresh as a loaf made on the day of arrival.

4. I sent a confirmation letter along with a receipt for payment to the guest on the day the booking was made but received no complaint at that time regarding the deposit processed. The letter stated that the booking was for 2 adults only and listed my booking terms. The letter also states that balance payment is due on arrival but when I suggested I fetch my eftpos machine to process payment the guest became agitated and said he would do it later.

5.Cornwall Cottage has 3 beds (1 queen and 2 singles) and if a booking is made for 2 adults, unless notified and time permitting, I may only make up 1 queen and 1 single. When the guests arrived there were 2 extras so I had to rush in and make up another bed and put in extra towels. His attitude was that the cottage has 2 bedrooms so he didn’t see the problem and did not seem to think he would have to pay for extra guests. He also said they would not require breakfast ingredients for their 2nd day of the booking as they would be checking out early to attend a family breakfast so I said I would not charge for that.

6. When I was showing guests into the cottage and explaining a few things the wife asked her husband to fetch their 6/7 year old sons’ ipad as he was very agitated so while husband was fetching it I handed the wife the card from the compendium with the wi-fi password on saying they would need it and she placed it on the cupboard near the kitchen so when guest rang to ask for the password I was able to explain where it was.

7. You state you saw nothing to indicate that the property is “child friendly” as advertised. Clearly visible in the property are a selection of games, puzzles, jigsaw puzzles etc. in the shelves below the TV, a selection of DVDs for children and adults are in the shelves beside the TV and a collection of books for children are on the shelves in the twin bedroom. Children can also help feed the chickens and collect eggs and during your visit a newborn foal was in the paddock straight in front of the cottage with its’ mother but you failed to even notice it.

8. At 9.45am on the morning of check out (not 9.30am as stated) the guest’s vehicle was driving out of the property so I approached the car to be told 2 of the party were taking a sister and her suitcases to Richmond which is a 10-12 minute drive away. I did mention that 10am was checkout knowing that he would not be back by then as a return trip would take the best part of 25 minutes.

9. At 9.55am my husband saw that the guests car had left the property and assuming that all the guests had departed he entered the accommodation wing looking for me. He heard a noise in the bathroom and was extremely embarrassed to find it was a guest still there drying her hair. He apologised and I also went down to the cottage and apologised.

10. At 10.05 the car had not returned but remaining guest had put all their belongings on the front veranda so I asked if I could go in and start stripping beds to begin the washing as I was on a tight schedule that day to prepare the cottage for the next guests arriving. They were flying in on an early flight and wanted to drop off their luggage at 10.30am so they could go off sightseeing for the day. I try to have one room completed for them to put cases in.
11. Guests are requested to wash all their dishes on check out day and place back in the cupboards but dishes were all left on the sink and the whole cottage was left in a very messy state.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

This B&B gives you two bedrooms, bathroom, living room and kitchenette.
We received a friendly greeting from Peta while she showed us the accommodation. The rooms were comfortable and warm, decorated in a homely style. Cornwall Cottage is divided off from the main house and has a separate guest entrance. It is located on a working farm up on a hillside with a beautiful view out over the valley. The front faces East so on sunny mornings the verandah is bathed in sunshine. Breakfast things were provided and Peta replenishes with produce off the farm or from what she obtains locally.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
Peta E, Owner at Cornwall Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2017

Thank you for your review . It was a pleasure to share our little piece of "heaven" with you for a few days.

Reviewed February 2, 2017

We stayed for 5 days and it was our first accommodation spot for our trip to Tassie. Cornwell Cottage was a fantastic choice and the location (11km's from Hobart) is beautiful and you feel like you are out in the countryside even though you are close to the city. The hospitality received from Peta was great. Peta is friendly and thoughtful and to come back each day after a big day out exploring and sightseeing was really to a warm, cosy and well appointed cottage was really lovely to know. The small touches make this B&B a delight. The scenery around the property is breathtaking and each morning waking up to the views is a perfect way to start your day. We loved the homemade goodies that Peta makes for you and the cottage is fully self contained and great to use the laundry facilities while we were there as well. Great little set up and a wonderful stay. Good to have a hire car if you choose to stay at Cornwall Cottage as the public transport system is not frequent. Excellent value for money. We felt very safe and having some space for the three of us was great too.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
Peta E, Owner at Cornwall Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2017

Thank you for your great review. Hope you enjoy the rest of your visit to our beautiful state and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.