All reviewsprivate beachshuttle servicewine tastingsister propertystarwood pointsblack rosesmall villagehotel shuttlebeautiful propertyblack sand beachfront office managerfree shuttleoff the beaten pathfira and oiaturn down serviceour honeymoonrecommend this resort
Reviewed 30 May 2018

I planned a trip to Santorini with my daughter and family to celebrate her graduation from high school. She wanted to go to Santorini and be on the water. We arrived at Vedema and discovered it was miles from the water in the middle of a small village. We were very upset with the location. While Vedema will tell you they are not close to the water, the pictures on the website are grossly misleading. For those looking at Vedema, be very aware that the location is not good and that the website exaggerates the views and other amenities. Beware!

The main reason for this review is to inform other people that this is so far from a five star property that it is laughable. Five star, luxury collection with no room service?? We arrived and asked to change rooms because it was so dark and small. We wanted at least a distant water view. My daughter said it was like an Holiday Inn room. Five star.. luxury collection?? The only thing that was luxury was the $19.50 Tito Vodka and soda. Finally the "free Wi-Fi" simply didn't work. So disappointed.

And all of this for 620 Euros a night. We had prepaid for the room and after the first night immediately. Anthi Maneta, Hotel Manager, was very nice and tried to accommodate by offering to upgrade, but we decided to move on.

We are frustrated and felt very misled. On their website states there are views of the Aegean Sea, mostly their sister property located south of Santorini. We made a huge mistake and paid a big price at Vedema. We feel obligated to write this review and inform others so they don't repeat our mistake.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Elaine M
Nikolaos K, Manager at Vedema, a Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Dear Mrs Elaine M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Vedema, A Luxury Collection Resort.

Regarding Vedema’s location, please allow me to note that your travel agent talked to our Front Office Manager and knew the exact location of Vedema at the traditional village of Megalohori as well as that it is surrounded by vineyards and not within walking distance to the sea.

In your own words, it is not mentioned on our website that we are close to the water. However, in no way do we try to mislead potential guests through Vedema’s website. All of the pictures and information show clearly the location and the surroundings. The first thing one reads on our site is: “Authentic village retreat in an exclusive setting surrounded by vineyards and overlooking the village”. There are a couple of videos showing Santorini in general from above plus another one showing the Luxury Collection Resorts in Greece including Athens too, but it is nowhere indicated that Vedema is close to the sea.

You advise others to beware of Vedema and the amenities. I understand you may be upset but please allow me to note that I believe you were misinformed in the first place. Unfortunately, you only spent a couple of hours with us before you chose to leave and probably you were so upset that you forgot to pay the bill for the meal you had by the pool.

In addition, our room service is available 24 hours. The room service menu along with our restaurants Pergola and Alati offer a great variety of eclectic dishes prepared by our multi awarded Executive Chef.

The suite you were allocated was an Athenian Suite of 1000 square feet, with two bedrooms with a king size bed, bathtub and shower and a living room.

I wish you would had talked to me during your stay. My name is Nikolaos Kalogeras and I am the Hotel Operations Manager. (Anthi Manetta was the Hotel Manager until two years ago). I could have arranged for you to have a most memorable stay of great food and relaxation at Vedema Resort surrounded by local, authentic beauty. A visit to the beach for your swim could have also been arranged, as we offer free shuttle service four times daily to our private beach in Perivolos.

Vedema Resort and its entire team awaits for you to hopefully return, so we can provide you with the exceptional service our guests praise for,

Kind Regards,
Nikolaos Kalogeras
Hotel Operations Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here before departing Santorini. We only stayed one night but it was beautiful. The staff was excellent led by the lady at the front desk. Jimmy the Greek, the bellhop, was also great. This hotel has a few great restaurants including and incredible wine cellar. The hotel is located close to all the wineries on the southern side of santorini. Megalachori(SP?) is quite charming. I would suggest spending a couple of nights here, doing the wineries and Spiradokos Sailing Cruises.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed for a few days right after they opened for the season. All of the staff is so helpful and accommodating! They tour you around property so make sure you know where everything is. The Concierge was super helpful booking excursions for us. Our room was very clean and spacious, we just wish we had a better view. The village is adorable, lovely place to stay out of the hustle and bustle.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2018

I stayed in a 2-bed villa for 2 nights and enjoyed every moment of it! At arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and brought glasses of lemonade which was very welcome after a long day of traveling. The bellmen handled all bags which was very welcome considering the cobblestones & stairs on the property. After check-in we were escorted to our villa which was spacious, clean and cool! There was a total of 5 of us staying in the villa and we really liked the setup and how everyone had enough space. The bathrooms were clean and spacious and the beds were comfy! Breakfast and lunch at the hotel restaurant was delicious as well.

Overall a very enjoyable experience and I'd definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jubilance1922
Reviewed 12 April 2018

What a disappointment! I have thought about this review for some time, because I want to do justice to the members of staff that did do an exceptional job.

My initial communications with the hotel via e-mail made me feel very positive about booking the Vedema. Both concierge and front desk staff had been very quick to respond to my e-mail questions, and during our stay were always extremely polite and helpful. An exceptional team at reception made for a wonderful welcome to the hotel. The reason for our stay, was to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday. I wrote to the hotel in advance asking if they could arrange for a cake on the day (I was happy to pay) and they quickly informed me that they would provide a cake in the room on the day of my dad's birthday. Upon check in they confirmed this. The cake, however, never materialised. Disappointing. There was also no recognition of my SPG Gold Status and when I asked for the points option as a Welcome Amenity, the staff was surprised. Worse yet, on checking my statement after check out, it showed the welcome amenity as being the drink option (which I never had) and no points. I’m not quite sure whether this is a hotel issue or something to do with SPG systems.

I booked an Aegean Suite, which has two bedrooms and sleeps four. On arrival, we only had two cups for making hot drinks. We had to call housekeeping to request more, for the four of us. This became the case throughout our four night stay. Every morning they would take away four sets of cups, and leave only two clean ones behind. For me, this is not just a lack of attention but a very disappointing service. The room was booked for four adults. Even if it was not prepared in this way, it was obvious to the staff that we were utilising four sets of cups each day yet always ended up with two. Overall, I found the housekeeping staff to be doing a very mediocre job. Although mainly clean, we accidentally dropped a key behind a small cupboard by the fridge, and on moving it slightly there was a very thick layer of dust that had obviously accumulated over a lohng period of time.

My second big issue with the hotel was breakfast. Where do I start? A hotel of such calibre, a Luxury Collection property, should be offering an exceptional breakfast service. The buffet was extremely disappointing and at times I had concerns over hygiene. The hot items were frequently running out and not replaced quickly enough. There were items such as French toast, left dry in a plain container that was partly broken and did not keep them either warm or airtight. Similarly, items such as yoghurt were left standing at the buffet without being kept cold. On our second day I had a spoonful of yoghurt which tasted like it had gone off. A member of my family who also had one, agreed. At that point I wasn't sure whether it was worth pointing this out to staff or to just give up. In a hot country, in the middle of summer, how can you leave items that require refrigeration to simply sit out on a buffet all morning? Furthermore, in most cases there were no serving spoons for the vast majority of food items on the buffet. Lastly, we found out after seeing other guests order, that it was possible to have some warm hot options such as omelette made to order. This was not communicated by staff in any way. Overall, the breakfast was an extremely disappointing experience, every day.

In trying to focus on the positives and to justify the cost of this property (a our room rate was 840 Euros per night), I enjoyed the traditional character of the property. It was nice to walk around and be in the centre of the village. The setup is very charming. The pool area was nice and relaxing after breakfast was cleared. Plus, the bathrooms were stocked with my favourite Korres amenities.

I truly wanted to love this property. But no matter which way I looked at it, it was a major disappointment. What was worst, I was doubly disappointed for my family having to be disappointed too. This was a special birthday treat and it's not very often that we all manage to go away together. I am a big fan of the Luxury Collection brand and I truly hope the hotel pulls its weight and improves.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Nikolaos K, Διευθυντής at Vedema, a Luxury Collection Resort, Santorini, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Dear PhillipP,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Vedema, A Luxury Collection Resort and I truly appreciate the time you took to share your comments.

First, I would like to thank you for your kind comments on our Concierge and Front Desk staff. I am glad to read that they were quick, polite, helpful and that they extended a wonderful welcome to you and your family.

On the other hand, I cannot apologize enough for your father’s birthday cake that did not come to you, even though it was pre-ordered and confirmed upon check in.

I am surprised to read your comments on the resort’s breakfast, as we constantly receive raving reviews. I apologise if our waiters did not do so, but they always inform guests that apart from the scrambled eggs available on the buffet, they may also order omelettes, crepes, and more hot options. Part of Vedema's breakfast buffet is the Greek corner, which consists of a certified traditional “Greek breakfast” that offers local products, such as cheeses, pies, yogurt and more. Traditional Greek yogurt tastes very different than other yogurts; some may find it quite sour. Is it possible that the particular taste of pure Greek yogurt gave you the impression it had gone off?

Regarding the cleanliness of the resort, I am glad you generally found it clean and I apologize once again for the incident with the dust behind the cupboard. I would like to assure you that this was an isolated incident and I will personally ensure that our housekeeping manager addresses it accordingly. In addition, I would like to let you know that in an effort to enhance the resort’s housekeeping services, this season we have new members in our housekeeping team.

I truly wish you had reported to a member of our staff all these issues while you were still at the resort, so that we could have helped you and provided solutions on the spot.

I would like to note that we deeply value our guests’ feedback, as it is what makes us constantly improve our services. I am deeply sorry that Vedema Resort did not meet your expectations and truly hope that even so, your experience in Santorini was still a memorable one.

I would like to assure you that each and everyone of your comments have been well noted and I do hope to welcome you back to Vedema Resort, so as to turn your experience around.

Kind regards,