“Novel accomodation in remote location” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sinetta
Stawell, Australia
“Novel accomodation in remote location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Travelling with a group of 16 Australians, but have single accomodation. Stayed overnight in an igloo. We packed an overnight bag for this accomodation. Designed for viewing the Northern Lights, the roof is made of tinted glass. Nice ensuite with shower, handbasin, toilet, with toiletries - Brownie points ! Tea and coffee making facilities - more Brownie points ! Two single beds with option to raise the bedhead - electrical control. I presume it is all the better to see the Northern Lights, but I elevated it because I had a half starved pillow and needed extra height. The Northern Lights didn't play out for us. Very poor display. You can only blame the sun and earth for that !!
Also in the room a small fridge, occasional table with a lamp, one chair, hanging space. There are family sized igloos available. My igloo was roomy enough, toastie warm, comfortable. I wore a t-shirt in the igloo, but it was - 18* outside, so hat, scarf, snow boots, down jacket, fleece pants to go across to reception, dining area. In this timber building, there was also souvenir shop, toilets, sitting room, luggage storage.
We were shown over the SnowHotel, which is rebuilt each year using blocks of ice cut from a nearby lake. The design changes every year. All the fittings and furniture are also carved from ice. Seats are covered with reindeer skins. Two of our group had a drink in the bar, and commented that you wouldn't know you were sitting on ice. Artists are invited to make ice sculptures to decorate passages and entrance. We saw the entrance, bar, chapel, restaurant, and a bedroom. Guests sleep on a wooden base in sub zero sleeping bags. There were people booked into the restaurant that night, and a couple booked to sleep there.
If I remember correctly, the temperature in the hotel was 0* to -5*. Lots of concealed
lighting gave the hotel atmosphere.
Meals were good, three course dinner included in our package. Breakfast was buffet style. Very adequate. If you are a night time nibbler, take some muesli bars etc to igloo. They don't seem to do Decaf coffee. I carried my own for night time.
I was comfortable all the time I was there.

Room Tip: The igloos are very quiet, warm, comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2017, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Polly3380
ArcticSnowHotel, Myyntipäällikkö at Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for your nice comments and staying with, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my friend visited the hotel on 8/3/17 late afternoon. We were very impressed how the hotel is done. Good job.
Our tour guide was amazing.
*** But the bar tender at the ice bar was very rude and so unprofessional. My friend asked a simple question about a glass and he was very sarcastic. Not my place to say it but if he's not happy about his job, better change.
***please do not ruin people's experience. We crossed the world to experience this moment.

Stayed March 2017, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tsegereda B
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you felt that one of our staff members was unprofessional. We always try to serve our clients with respect and make the visit memorable as as you say, many come from far away to experience our hotel.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The glass igloo is a lot more luxurious than I anticipated and was also bigger than I thought it would be. 5 of us stayed in the glass igloo and it was not cramped.
The snow hotel was definitely an experience but so glad I stayed in the igloo.
Would definitely go here again. Breakfast was hearty and simple but good for a cold day.
One recommendation is that reception orientate you to the north when you check in. I spent a few moments trying to find north.
We were also very lucky that the sky cleared up and we saw the Northern Lights in its glory.

Stayed March 2017, traveled with friends
ArcticSnowHotel, Myyntipäällikkö at Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for staying with us!
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife persuaded me to take her to the Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos 'resort' in Sinetta, Finland this last weekend, (17-19 February 2017). I am not, it can be said, a fan of the cold or snow or anything related. The weekend was simply brilliant, in large part due to the staff and quality of the venue.
I had a number of email conversations with staff prior to making the trip, each courteous and helpful and they were able to resolve my queries efficiently.
Now the venue itself: the accommodation is in either a hotel literally made of snow and ice or for the less adventurous, a heated glass topped 'igloo'. We stayed one night in the ice hotel and the following night in the igloo. The ice hotel is a fun experience albeit the 'facilities' are limited. There is a very clean toilet and shower area at the rear of the hotel and you store your luggage in a locker room, (the lockers are a good size and easily took the carry-on suitcases we both took), which is a heated room at the rear of the ice hotel. You pick up a sleeping bag, thermal inner liner and pillow from this room when ready for bed and go to your allocated ice room. Here you will find a bed frame with a thin mattress and covered in reindeer hide on an ice frame, with an ice table. You clamber awkwardly into the sleeping bag, zip up as far as possible and go to sleep. It’s easier than it sounds and I slept very well. You are woken by a member of staff with a hot drink at 7.30 which seems a bit early but it works. Breakfast is included in the price we paid and is a wide choice from a large buffet.
The igloos are glass topped ‘huts’ with remote controlled adjustable beds, underfloor heating and a private bathroom. After the ice hotel, they are, of course, sheer luxury and we wallowed in the heat and not having to wear multiple layers of clothing to be warm enough. There are also tea and coffee making supplies in the room.
We had dinner in the log room, the main area with the reception desk, restaurant and an additional warm room, which has to be booked in the morning. You also have to select your meal from a limited menu, (3 different options, in our case salmon, elk or a vegetarian option), which was delicious. We could have chosen dinner in the ice restaurant, another area in the ice hotel or in a Kota, a circular building with an open fire pit in the middle on which they cook salmon or sausages.
The staff: all the members of staff we dealt with could not have been more helpful or pleasant. We arrived late on Friday evening, after the kitchen had closed but due to one of my email conversations they had arranged some simple French stick sandwiches for us.
On the Saturday morning after breakfast one of the desk staff advised us on activities to do and they are happy to provide drinks when requested, (at a cost), and sandwiches at lunch even though we hadn’t booked anything. Every interaction with staff was met with smiles and as much help as necessary.
When we checked out the cost of dinner the previous night was still on the bill although I had paid it at the time. This was resolved very quickly on production of the receipt and without rancour or fuss. The shuttle back to the airport was on time and got us there in plenty of time to check in and get to the gate.
And finally, the pièce de résistance – we saw the Aurora Borealis on both evenings we were there. The staff always let you know when the Lights are visible, (including a staff alert at any time of night), so you won’t miss the chance to see them. Whilst not the main reason for visiting the Hotel it is part of the attraction and we were so pleased to see them both nights.
My only word of caution is that due to the low temperature, (-17 C on one night), the lock to our igloo froze stopping us getting in and then froze overnight, stopping us getting out. On both occasions the staff had the right equipment to solve the issue and didn’t even make me feel stupid (which I had been) in not looking in the igloo provided information pack for the desk number to alert someone. We were banging on the door and a staff member heard us, guessed what had happened and immediately came with a heater to get us out.
This has been a long review but I want to give an accurate picture of what to expect and to convey what a wonderful time we had at the Hotel. This is an exciting, interesting and enjoyable experience. It’s not cheap by any measure but I came away feeling we had had value for money and we will be looking to return.
Just don’t fly with Norwegian Air, every flight (four of them) was late.

Room Tip: Take thermal underwear!
  • Stayed February 2017, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank tbyrd2000
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind words, I have forwarded your praises to our staff. Hope to see you some day again! I am sure you provided lots of useful information for the people who are thinking about staying at our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We recently stayed two nights in the glass igloo, and found the service at the hotel to be very disappointing.

Positives: the location was great and igloos, whilst by no means luxurious (cannot speak for the ice rooms), did offer the quirky / fun factor.

Negatives:

1) the service - upon arrival, we were checked in by a less than polite receptionist.

2) the hotel facilities such as reception, breakfast / bar / dining area were more than a little run down.

3) upon checkout we questioned an item on the bill which related to a dinner we did not have. We had reserved a table the night before, however feeling unwell and with no telephone in the igloos, we decided not to eat. Upon checkout we were charged for full price of €90 for this meal. Given the amount we had spent at this hotel (>€1500 in 2 days), we would have expected better than to spend the next 30 minutes disputing this meal. At one point, we were told to 'take accountability for our actions' in reference to us not showing up to dinner. At no point when booking our table were we told that we would be charged upon reservation, and I certainly would not expect to pay full price for a meal that we did not have. I would not have expected to be spoken to in the manner which we were by a hotel where they charge the rates that they do. Quite appalling service in my opinion.

Overall I would say that we felt that had we not gotten lucky with a fantastic Northern Lights show, we would have left feeling extremely unhappy that we chose to stay there. I wouldn't expect anything verging on luxury at this hotel.

Stayed March 2017, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to hear that you felt that you had bad service at our hotel and I apologize on behalf of our receptionist. Our staff tries to help you in any way they can to make your stay as comfortable as possible so I am really sorry that you didn't feel welcomed.

All the meals need to be ordered before-hand and your main course choices are requested at the time of booking your dinner. This is purely because we are preparing all the food before-hand and for example to glow-fry salmon at Kota takes about 1 hour to prepare so when the dinner starts, it will be ready. If you are not coming to your dinner, we still have to charge you for it as all the food has been made for you - I am sorry that our staff didn't notify you about this. There are no phones inside glass igloos but you can reach our sales office at all times or if you need anything during your stay, you can go to our reception as it is just next to the glass igloos.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sinetta
23.1 km away
Santa's Hotel Santa Claus
#4 of 13 in Rovaniemi
24.9 km away
Lapland Hotel Sky Ounasvaara

Been to Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos? Share your experiences!