Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos
Scandic Rovaniemi(Rovaniemi)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$140
  • Breakfast included
Santa's Hotel Santa Claus(Rovaniemi)(Great Value!)
US$127
  • Breakfast included
Arctic City Hotel(Rovaniemi)(Great Value!)
US$113
TripAdvisor
Agoda.com
Scandic Polar(Rovaniemi)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssnow hotelice restaurantsleeping baglocker roomsalmonaurora alarmunique experienceone nightglass iglooonce in a lifetimenorthern lightsice roombaked potatobucket listice sculpturessnow and icewarm room
Reviewed 6 March 2017

My wife persuaded me to take her to the Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos 'resort' in Sinetta, Finland this last weekend, (17-19 February 2017). I am not, it can be said, a fan of the cold or snow or anything related. The weekend was simply brilliant, in large part due to the staff and quality of the venue.
I had a number of email conversations with staff prior to making the trip, each courteous and helpful and they were able to resolve my queries efficiently.
Now the venue itself: the accommodation is in either a hotel literally made of snow and ice or for the less adventurous, a heated glass topped 'igloo'. We stayed one night in the ice hotel and the following night in the igloo. The ice hotel is a fun experience albeit the 'facilities' are limited. There is a very clean toilet and shower area at the rear of the hotel and you store your luggage in a locker room, (the lockers are a good size and easily took the carry-on suitcases we both took), which is a heated room at the rear of the ice hotel. You pick up a sleeping bag, thermal inner liner and pillow from this room when ready for bed and go to your allocated ice room. Here you will find a bed frame with a thin mattress and covered in reindeer hide on an ice frame, with an ice table. You clamber awkwardly into the sleeping bag, zip up as far as possible and go to sleep. It’s easier than it sounds and I slept very well. You are woken by a member of staff with a hot drink at 7.30 which seems a bit early but it works. Breakfast is included in the price we paid and is a wide choice from a large buffet.
The igloos are glass topped ‘huts’ with remote controlled adjustable beds, underfloor heating and a private bathroom. After the ice hotel, they are, of course, sheer luxury and we wallowed in the heat and not having to wear multiple layers of clothing to be warm enough. There are also tea and coffee making supplies in the room.
We had dinner in the log room, the main area with the reception desk, restaurant and an additional warm room, which has to be booked in the morning. You also have to select your meal from a limited menu, (3 different options, in our case salmon, elk or a vegetarian option), which was delicious. We could have chosen dinner in the ice restaurant, another area in the ice hotel or in a Kota, a circular building with an open fire pit in the middle on which they cook salmon or sausages.
The staff: all the members of staff we dealt with could not have been more helpful or pleasant. We arrived late on Friday evening, after the kitchen had closed but due to one of my email conversations they had arranged some simple French stick sandwiches for us.
On the Saturday morning after breakfast one of the desk staff advised us on activities to do and they are happy to provide drinks when requested, (at a cost), and sandwiches at lunch even though we hadn’t booked anything. Every interaction with staff was met with smiles and as much help as necessary.
When we checked out the cost of dinner the previous night was still on the bill although I had paid it at the time. This was resolved very quickly on production of the receipt and without rancour or fuss. The shuttle back to the airport was on time and got us there in plenty of time to check in and get to the gate.
And finally, the pièce de résistance – we saw the Aurora Borealis on both evenings we were there. The staff always let you know when the Lights are visible, (including a staff alert at any time of night), so you won’t miss the chance to see them. Whilst not the main reason for visiting the Hotel it is part of the attraction and we were so pleased to see them both nights.
My only word of caution is that due to the low temperature, (-17 C on one night), the lock to our igloo froze stopping us getting in and then froze overnight, stopping us getting out. On both occasions the staff had the right equipment to solve the issue and didn’t even make me feel stupid (which I had been) in not looking in the igloo provided information pack for the desk number to alert someone. We were banging on the door and a staff member heard us, guessed what had happened and immediately came with a heater to get us out.
This has been a long review but I want to give an accurate picture of what to expect and to convey what a wonderful time we had at the Hotel. This is an exciting, interesting and enjoyable experience. It’s not cheap by any measure but I came away feeling we had had value for money and we will be looking to return.
Just don’t fly with Norwegian Air, every flight (four of them) was late.

Room Tip: Take thermal underwear!
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tbyrd2000
ArcticSnowHotel, Myyntipäällikkö at Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2017

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your kind words, I have forwarded your praises to our staff. Hope to see you some day again! I am sure you provided lots of useful information for the people who are thinking about staying at our hotel.

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

We recently stayed two nights in the glass igloo, and found the service at the hotel to be very disappointing.

Positives: the location was great and igloos, whilst by no means luxurious (cannot speak for the ice rooms), did offer the quirky / fun factor.

Negatives:

1) the service - upon arrival, we were checked in by a less than polite receptionist.

2) the hotel facilities such as reception, breakfast / bar / dining area were more than a little run down.

3) upon checkout we questioned an item on the bill which related to a dinner we did not have. We had reserved a table the night before, however feeling unwell and with no telephone in the igloos, we decided not to eat. Upon checkout we were charged for full price of €90 for this meal. Given the amount we had spent at this hotel (>€1500 in 2 days), we would have expected better than to spend the next 30 minutes disputing this meal. At one point, we were told to 'take accountability for our actions' in reference to us not showing up to dinner. At no point when booking our table were we told that we would be charged upon reservation, and I certainly would not expect to pay full price for a meal that we did not have. I would not have expected to be spoken to in the manner which we were by a hotel where they charge the rates that they do. Quite appalling service in my opinion.

Overall I would say that we felt that had we not gotten lucky with a fantastic Northern Lights show, we would have left feeling extremely unhappy that we chose to stay there. I wouldn't expect anything verging on luxury at this hotel.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RobGLondon2017

I am sorry to hear that you felt that you had bad service at our hotel and I apologize on behalf of our receptionist. Our staff tries to help you in any way they can to make your stay as comfortable as possible so I am really sorry that you didn't feel welcomed.

All the meals need to be ordered before-hand and your main course choices are requested at the time of booking your dinner. This is purely because we are preparing all the food before-hand and for example to glow-fry salmon at Kota takes about 1 hour to prepare so when the dinner starts, it will be ready. If you are not coming to your dinner, we still have to charge you for it as all the food has been made for you - I am sorry that our staff didn't notify you about this. There are no phones inside glass igloos but you can reach our sales office at all times or if you need anything during your stay, you can go to our reception as it is just next to the glass igloos.

Reviewed 4 March 2017

We HAD looked into booking an Igloo whilst on our trip to Finland....but realised that they were VERY remote from anywhere else....and we do like to have options...especially on the dining front!
We stayed in Rovaneimi....a small town about 15 minutes drive away and hired a car whilst we were there.
We took ourselves up to visit the Igloos and the Snow Hotel....they are in the same grounds....
A snow/ ice hotel is always a joy to behold but, having tried it once in Norway my need
to do it again wasn't happening!
The Igloos were neat but nowhere near as attractive to look at as the advertising might suggest....in my opinion.
Dining is communal...the dining area resembles a smart canteen....and is several metres from each Igloo....obviously more metres away the further your Igloo was from the main building....needless to say!
The Igloos are a reasonable distance apart BUT do look, to me, like a row of up-market portaloos!....expensive portaloos!
I am happy that WE didn't stay here....BUT, I do realise these things are personal taste....

Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HERMOSAMARIPOSA1

Thank you for your comments and I hope that you enjoyed your visit to Arctic SnowHotel even if you didn't stay overnight.

Since we are located about 30-minute drive from Rovaniemi city center, it offers an excellent opportunity to see the northern lights since we are far from the city lights. There are no other services near-by but our hotel has three restaurants which offers plenty of choices for all. The dining area you are probably talking about is our Log restaurant where we do serve dinners and also breakfast but Ice restaurant and Lappish Kota restaurant offer definitely more unique experiences for our guests which I can highly recommend. Our hotel area isn't very big so it's probably maximum 200 meters that you need to walk from the furthest igloo so everything is within walking distance. We arrange shuttle service between Rovaniemi and our hotel (please book in advance!) so you can go to activities in Rovaniemi for the day and then return to our hotel for the night. At the hotel area you can visit Arctic SnowHotel (entrance fee is included in accommodation price for all the guests), try ice fishing or snowshoe walking or just walk around the area by yourself and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

Igloos are brill. Stay in them. Stay two nights at least. Book an igloo for two nights and ice hotel room too for one of those nights so you can retreat to the igloo when the novelty of ice hotel wears off in the early hours and have somewhere to call home and make base at all times.

Aurora alarm is handy.

Food in all restaurants is very good indeed. Eat dinner in both Kota and Ice Restaurant (very special) if you have chance. Breakfast is great with many hot and cold options including pastries, pancakes and fresh fruit and bacon etc.

Try Lapland's cloudberry liqueur and local beers. All are good.

We didn't do booked activities but others seemed to have fun on them.

The place feels other worldly, a bit like a moonbase or Dr Who set, and is a great experience.

Good value for money.

Our second trip to Finland and we reckon the Finns do things very well indeed. Not cheap but value for money.

If you are really huge like I am, the ice hotel might not work very well for you. Otherwise, go for it!

Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whoamiwhereami

Thank you for staying with us, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Our family of 4 stayed there in a glass igloo for two nights. It was a great experience and incredibly relaxing. We were even fortunate enough to see the aurora borealis both nights were were there. We were in igloo 18, and it was perfect for the 4 of us. Plenty of space for us to be and relax. Two big comfy chairs, and the adjustable beds really made the experience complete.

The food at the main restaurant and lakota restaurant was very good. My kids would have appreciated some more kid friendly options, but they were fine. The staff was great and tried to take care of our various requests. We had an issue with the lock on our igloo and the staff was very quick to resolve the issue.

The hotel is located on a beautiful lake. There was a great sledding hill, and great things to explore all around. Lots of people went to activities off site during the day, but we found plenty to do just exploring. The best part of it all though was the night time show. The aurora alarm worked well and allowed us to get a little sleep too.

A nice place to go and a great experience to have.

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Akhly

Thank you for staying with us. Some people do go off site for activities which is probably a good idea if you are staying more than 2 nights with us as there are definitely things to do and see also at the hotel area.