“Once in a lifetime experience!”

Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sinetta
Manila, Philippines
“Once in a lifetime experience!”
Reviewed December 29, 2016

We stayed at their g lass igloos and the experience was exhilarating! They even have Northern Lights alarm for when the Aurora Borealis comes up. Sadly when we arrived it was snowing so weather conditions didn't allow us to see the Northern Lights, and we woke up our glass ceiling was powdered with snow. Not exactly the view I wanted but seeing under snow was still fun and we had to make the best out of a so-so situation. The bathroom per igloo was excellent though! The shower area is cramped but the other parts of the bathroom where the latrine and sink is were spacious for my standard! The hot water is EXCELLENT. It lasts for just 25 minutes so time your hot water usage wisely, especially if you're travelling with a partner, because once the hot water is used up it takes hours for new water to be heated again!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to check their wifi connection because I was too busy taking photographs outside their igloos. Even at the blistering cold I found myself outside doing artsy shots, it's like the igloos themselves are an attraction, especially when the sun is rising or coming down with the ambient lighting on the trees still up, they make absolutely stunning photos! Since we arrived in November, the annual ice hotel is still being freshly carved so we obviously weren't able to use the facilities, since they weren't even built yet! However taking pics with the "under construction" view of the ice hotel is still good though.

For me their beds are too narrow and the pillows are too thin. Just nitpicking though, because the comfort is still there and the staff was very accommodating. Also when you go to the dining area at the main lodge, make sure to buy one of those 10-euro glass igloo snowglobes! Not sure if other glass igloo hotels have them, but they do! They also sell nifty pouches and pens with moose and husky plushes on them, perfect as gifts for friends back home.

Overall, a wonderful experience! Check these guys out!

• Stayed November 2016, traveled with friends
ArcticSnowHotel, Myyntipäällikkö at Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos, responded to this review, January 3, 2017
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Hot water lasts for 25 min if you use it all at once but if you have 2 people showering, you can take maybe shower for 15 minutes per person and if that wasn't enough for you, you can go to our sauna building during common sauna time in the evening and have sauna and shower for free.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2016

We stayed in the glass igloo for one night and it was wonderful. It was very large, lovely and warm in the -12 degC weather, and extremely cosy to watch the northern lights from bed! The shower had excellent hot water that latest for 50 minutes which was plenty. And the wifi was strong!
We also had dinner in the ice restaurant. Highly recommend this experience, and we took our 3 year old. My father stayed in the ice room. It was an excellent experience, but there are no actual doors - it's just a curtain, and tourists wander in and out of the rooms so there is limited privacy. He also said the bathrooms were extremely slippery. You can get most of the experience by eating in the restaurant, drinking in the ice bar and checking out the ice rooms.

Stayed December 2016, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Glass igloos are suitable for children as well and for family glass igloo we can put even 5 beds. Arctic SnowHotel is not recommended for children under 5 years old due to the cold weather. There are no doors inside the SnowHotel but you can put your valuables into safety lockers. There are normal locks and doors in glass igloos.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2016

We spent one night in the Snow Hotel & enjoyed it as a one off adventure. The hotel is rebuilt each year with the season beginning in December. It's in the middle of nowhere so a good spot for the Northern Lights though sadly they were elusive during our visit. We booked the transfer from Rovaniemi, a large coach shared with visitors booked on tours of the hotel, for dinner, etc. It's quite the tourist attraction with various packages sold to non-residents. Paying visitors are free to look in all hotel rooms unless a Do not Disturb sign is displayed. It's a very commercial operation & feels so with paid up gawpers clogging the corridors. The chapel carved from ice is quite spectacular & the Ice Bar an Instagram friendly space. We ate in the Ice Restaurant which was pleasantly novel. They serve a pre-ordered 3 course menu priced at €58 per head, food is simple, unthrilling, & would have a value of no more then £20 in your local pub. I thought drinks quite reasonable considering, with a small glass of wine €7. Dinner is served at 7pm & was done & dusted within an hour. No-one lingers when it's sub zero.
There is also a kota style restaurant if you don't fancy dining in your coat.

On arrival overnighters are given a tour & shown the facilities including the locker room where you can store a small case. Further luggage is kept in an unsecured room near reception. The locker room also has a few bunks for anyone who can't hack a night on the ice slab. Having taken tips from this site we opted for the standard room as you can do nothing in them other then sleep. They house a bed made of ice with a reindeer fur laid over. Nothing else. They're dimly illuminated by LED & include a socket to charge a phone. The temperature is maintained between zero & minus five. Suites are much bigger & much prettier, individualised with striking ice sculptures. They are far more inviting & on first perusal I wished we'd opted for one instead of the bleak cupboard like standard room. But quite frankly when it comes to bedtime the experience is democratised & one & all will be grappling in near darkness to undress & get in that sleep bag asap. It's at this point you start to ask whose daft idea all this was anyway. Or why you didn't book one of their cosy igloos instead. Would it be a total walk of shame to creep out to those locker room bunks? The sleeping bags are very effective & we felt snug as a bug, it's the hardness of the surface that gets to you more. As a poor sleeper I popped a pill & was out 'til knock up time. We signed up to be woken in the event of the Aurora & thanked God it didn't show. At 7.30am they come round with drinks to wake you at which point you return your sleeping stuff & check out whose jibbed in the bunks. Quite a few!! Breakfast is served 7am until 10am in a soulless barn of a room. It's a dreary spread & feels horribly Butlins like, as does the awful shower block. I'm not a camping type. The hotel lacks a nice lounge, it isn't a place you want to loiter & I believe the majority of guests are one nighters. It would have suited me more if aspects outside of the sleeping experience were more luxurious but to be fair the accommodation price point isn't pitched that high, even if food is. There's not a fat lot to do barring the handful of activities (snow-shoeing, ice fishing, ice sculpting, sauna). Someone said the private snow sauna was amazing. Staff were all very nice but given the fast throughput it isn't a personalised experience. It's all pretty slick & chargeable transfers were prompt both ways. The hotel also has some luxury glass roofed igloos but these get booked up months ahead - & are for wimps. Only Snow hotel guests get a certificate to show they have endured in Arctic conditions!

• Stayed December 2016, traveled with family
1 Thank mrstraveller1
Thank you for your comments. We do recommend only one night stay as it is quite extreme experience to stay in below zero degrees. Many guests also combine they stay; 1 night at SnowHotel and 1 or more nights in glass igloo. If you arrive in the afternoon, you will find that evening goes quite fast if you book sauna, dinner and maybe some outdoor activities. It is also good to reserve some time for just walking around SnowHotel and taking pictures.

I hope many people will find your informative comments valuable!
Hoppers Crossing, Australia
Reviewed December 21, 2016 via mobile

Wonderful staff and great accommodation. We had an amazing nights stay in the glass igloos and a wonderful tour through the ice hotel. We were blessed enough to se an Aurora show in our glass igloo and get great photos from inside our Igloo. No need to go outside in the elements. Our 7 year old woke for them and went straight back to sleep after they finished. Dinner was fantastic in Restaurant and breakfast was a great selection to chose from. Well worth the money. Staff were so willing to help, and the fact that we can only speak English has not been a problem. The gorgeous resident reindeer loved a scratch and there's food to feed him so you can get up close and personal. We only stayed the one night, and were fortunate enough to see a lights display, we are coming away feeling it was well worth it and would recommend. I'm sure if we didn't have a lights display we may have been a little disappointed.

Stayed December 2016, traveled with family
Great to hear that we managed to fulfill your expectations and that you had an amazing holiday. It is true that if there are northern lights, it is quite convenient to just be inside your igloo and look at the light display without getting out of the comfort of your own bed.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 13, 2016

The main highlight of my Rovaniemi trip is experiencing a unique stay in the Glass Igloo. The Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos comprises of two different accommodation sites, the SnowHotel and Glass Igloos. I had booked a one night stay at the Glass Igloo, with the intention of catching and viewing the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) from the comfort of my bed.

The Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos is situated in Sinettä, about 26km from Rovaniemi town. Its location in the wilderness offers an ideal opportunity to view the Aurora Borealis because it is best viewed in complete darkness, away from the city lights. Additionally, geomagnetic activity and a dash of luck are required to produce this natural phenomenon.

For non-drivers, there is no local transportation service to get to the property. As such, guests have to arrange the pickup service, 24hrs in advance, directly with the hotel. For the airport transfer, it costs EUR90 per vehicle which can accommodate up to five guests. This arrangement is fine for guests travelling in a group, however for single or couple travellers who are on a budget, they may like to consider arranging the pickup service at Rovaniemi town instead. Guests can take the airport shuttle service from the airport to the town, followed with the hotel shuttle service from the town to the hotel. The cost of the airport shuttle service is EUR7 per person, whilst the arranged hotel pickup service costs EUR15 per person. As such, the total cost works out to only EUR22 per person, which is lower than the arranged transfer from the airport directly to the hotel. There are three scheduled timings for the pickup at the the town centre, namely, 1440hrs – 1500hrs, 1610hrs – 1630hrs and 1840hrs – 1900hrs. Simply email the hotel the venue and preferred time of the pickup and they shall respond with a confirmation. The journey takes between 30 and 45mins, depending the number of pickups. Concerning the return transfer from the hotel, there are only two scheduled timings daily, namely 0900hrs and 1200hrs. Guests can request to head directly to the airport at EUR20 per person or Rovaniemi town at EUR15 per person. As my departure flight was scheduled in the evening, I had arranged the pickup service at noon for my departure to town. This enabled me to spend my some leisure time in town before my return to the airport. The wonderful thing is that I had approached the Rovaniemi Tourist Information Centre at Sampokeskus Mall and the staff have been very kind to assist with the storage of my luggage so that I can explore the town with ease.

Upon my arrival at the property, I was ushered to the main building for the check in registration. I am impressed that the Front Desk Staff has been very patient and provided a very detailed explanation on the hotel facilities and amenities. The hotel reception and main breakfast area is located in one building, while the Glass Igloos and SnowHotel are situated at two different sites, all which are situated close to one another. Guests need to be aware that they are required to carry their own luggage from the hotel reception to the Glass Igloos as no assistance is provided.

I was expecting the Glass Igloo, measuring at 20 square metres to feel small, but to my surprise, I found it reasonably comfortable with sufficient space for luggage storage. I have no issues with the bathroom size as well. Despite the cold wintery temperatures, the glass igloo is well insulated by its special thermal glass roof as well as its heated floor. One important information to note is that the water heater is only available for a maximum of 25mins, but is sufficient for the usage of two guests. An interesting feature of the room is that the beds are motorised, which allows for easy adjustment to the guest’s preferred optimal position for sleeping or viewing the skies under the glass roof.

Staying in this property is akin to staying in an island resort, where there are basically no amenities such as supermarket and mall in the vicinity. Hence, guests might wished to bring along some snacks and drinks during their stay here, but of course do observe room cleanliness as a courtesy to other guests. For the guest’s convenience, there is a mini fridge provided inside the igloo for the storage of beverages. Additional amenities include a kettle for preparing hot beverages as well as a hair dryer in the bathroom.

Breakfast is served in the Log Restaurant Lumikartano between 0730hrs and 1000hrs. As for the dinner, guests can choose to enjoy their meals served in the three different venues namely, Lappish Kota, Ice Restaurant and Log Restaurant Lumikartano. A set dinner costs from EUR40 onwards. There are scheduled dinner timings at the various restaurants and it is advisable to book the dinner in advance during the check in registration. I had chosen to dine at the Ice Restaurant in view of its unique theme, whereby all the tables and seating area are interestingly sculptured on ice blocks. Regretfully, I did not find the dinner at the Ice Restaurant delectable. On the other hand, the breakfast offering is rather enjoyable.

Now, the fun part and one of the most enjoyable experiences is the visit to the Ice Bar located inside the SnowHotel. The Ice Bar is only open during these two timings, 1730hrs to 1830hrs and 2130hrs to 2230hrs. Alcoholic drinks are served in a “shot glass” made entirely of ice, which costs EUR10 per shot. After shooting down the drink, remember to throw the ice “shot glass” onto the bar wall, which is also made entirely of ice.

When in Finland, do as the Finns do and try Finnish Sauna! At this hotel, I had booked the traditional Finnish sauna with snow sauna. It is a private sauna which is a 60mins session and costs EUR40 per person.

Guests staying in the Arctic glass Igloos will enjoy complimentary entry (Costs EUR15 for non-hotel guests) to the Arctic SnowHotel. The rooms and its sculptures are indeed a fascinating sight to behold.

There is a reindeer farm just further up ahead the hotel reception building, though there appeared to be only two inside the enclosure. Nevertheless, it is still an interesting sight since there are well known in the Christmas folklore here in Lapland.

The Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos might have been considered an expensive stay to a traveller, specially coming from an Asian country like myself. It is however indeed a unique experience, I must say. As mentioned earlier, the property is situated in the wilderness, whereby guests will spend the majority of their time here, indulging in the meals at the restaurant and enjoying the sauna here. That said, guests must take note of the miscellaneous costs associated with the stay so that expectations can be better managed.

The Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos is only open during the winter months between Dec and Mar of each year. So remember to book the room on your preferred dates in advance as they are usually booked out during the holiday period. To sum it up, I highly recommend a stay here if you are planning a visit to Rovaniemi.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" icon if you find my review helpful! Thank you.

• Stayed March 2016, traveled as a couple
24 Thank Jackchee11
ArcticSnowHotel, Myyntipäällikkö at Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos, responded to this review, December 18, 2016
Thank you so much for every detailed information, I am sure that many of our future guests will find it very useful. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and wish you all the best for your travels in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sinetta
23.0 km away
22.8 km away
Santa's Hotel Santa Claus
Santa's Hotel Santa Claus
#4 of 13 in Rovaniemi

Been to Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos? Share your experiences!