All reviews under construction mr ben ocean villa ground floor hotel appears to be the main hotel building phu quoc sea view infinity pool peak season beach side long beach enjoyed our stay sunset sunbeds drawers resort
Reviewed 3 December 2018

This was our first time to Phu Quoc and overall a really lovely holiday. The island is relatively unspoilt with some great beaches and places to visit but there is a lot of development going on and so I wonder how long the low key nightlife and non party atmosphere will last - so get in quick if that is what you are looking for. The Vietnamese people are lovely and the whole island has a nice vibe to it.
The hotel is situated along a nice part of long beach and the beach side pool is in a great location. As with previous reviews getting a sunbed around the pool appears to be a frustrating task in itself. All beds are gone by about 6 am with some people simply leaving items on them and then not actually using them for several hours later. However, this was not such a problem for us as we were lucky enough to be upgraded to one of two sea front villas that seemed to have two sun beds outside and nobody appeared daring enough to commandeer them. There is a secondary pool away from the sea front near to the main hotel building but very few people appear to use this. Perhaps if the hotel invested in some additional beds there would not be such a rush in the morning. There is further development going on around the hotel but I didn’t find that this affected our tranquility. Breakfast is okay but can get a bit busy at times and not all holiday makers appear to have common courtesies so chose your times carefully. As previously stated in other reviews the hotel appears to be predominantly marketed towards Russian holiday makers, as does the island, and at times I found some of them to be quite rude and frustrating as those few dont seem to have grasped the concept of queuing or just general politeness.
The staff are generally friendly and helpful and I make special mention of Mr Ben , Mr Ocean and Miss Nih who are a credit to this hotel. They are helpful and so friendly and will assist with any issues raised. I do feel there is a training need for some staff here though. On several occasions I was stood at the bar with half a dozen staff busying themselves without a thought of serving me.
When we arrived we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a sea front villa. This made up for the fact that the hotel failed to pick us up from the airport as part of our free transfer. The room is spectacularly located right by the sea and we could lie on our bed and watch the sunrises and sunsets. Unfortunately the room did have some issues.Our air con wasn’t working properly and the general cleanliness of the room was not four star. Housekeeping left a lot to be desired and after 5 days we had to ask for the bed to be changed. It was a lucky dip as to what toiletries or towels we would get each day and they would leave dirty cups and glasses in the room. The room itself whilst lovely is a bit too open plan with the toilet only being separated from the bed area by a net curtain which didn’t provide much privacy or dignity when using the toilet. They need to install sliding privacy doors.
The hotel is only a year old but there are parts that already look tired and dated and the management needs to concentrate on improving this. There is so much potential for this venue but somebody seems to be missing a trick.
The hotel is only minutes walk to some bars restaurants and mini markets and the main town and night market are about a 20-30 min walk. Taxis are a plenty and very cheap and we found all the taxi drivers to be friendly and do not attempt to rip you off.
If I were to return to this hotel it would be on the basis that we stayed in one of the two sea front villas otherwise I would be inclined to stay elsewhere.

Room tip: Book sea front villa if available
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank NMC2
Reviewed 29 November 2018 via mobile

Well 24 hours in and honestly we are a little disappointed. The hotel is actually split into 2, the main rooms part and then a short walk is the restaurant and infinity pool. As previously stated getting a sunbed around the pool is almost impossible unless you fancy getting up at 5 30. I kid you not, we bumped into a Scandinavian couple who get up at 5 30 to ensure they have a bed ! We got the last 2 at 8am. In addition For a new hotel the build quality is shocking and there’s just something about the place that’s very functional and not personal. Breakfast was so so. The sea and walk along the beach is good and the sunset was lovely. I would estimate the nationality ratio is about 70% Russian and 30% rest of world which I think reflects the area around the hotel which had a lot of Russian signs. Having spent time at the north of the island this is a bit of a shock being just beach hotel then a road of the odd restaurant and bar of which most of the area is work in progress, given the choice I’m not sure long beach would be my choice for Phu Quoc as there are much nicer parts.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mikeyofboro
Reviewed 13 November 2018 via mobile

The rooms were very nice and I loved the pool. The beach was great. Staff was ok, not very helpful with questions and service. Big issue was pool towels. They were hard to get. One day we went on a day boat and they took all our towels away.and we were guests. They opened the van and took them. Very odd and off putting. Restaurant was ok. Room nice though. Recommend for a stay, just bring towels.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

Stayed here with friends to wrap up our trip to Vietnam. I wanted to like this place more than I did. The facility itself was nice. We didn't notice much construction. However, the buildings seemed shoddily put together. I wonder how well this will age after a few years of use. For as new as this place was, we already saw plenty signs of wear and tear. Two examples: the knob fell right off of the bathroom sink faucet, and the tub in our room wasn't attached to the floor in any way.

As for the service, it was pretty bad. Communicating with staff was impossible. I understand that there's a language barrier and don't expect much, but even pointing at things on the menu didn't work in most cases. We didn't find the staff particularly accommodating.

And then there's the towel situation. It's ridiculous. Towels are rarely available near the pool. Guests need to fight for them and once you acquire one, it's a precious commodity that you can't give up...ever. What really made me unhappy was that we finally had enough towels (6) for our group of 6 when we were leaving for our boat day trip. The hotel staff chased us down and confiscated our towels while not-so-pleasa ntly telling us that taking towels for our excursion was strictly forbidden. Our tour guide was stunned and said he never heard of such a thing; usually hotels allow guests to check out towels.

Breakfast was decent. Omelettes, bacon, dumplings, pho, and various other Western and Vietnamese items to choose from. The bar was a tad expensive with spotty service. The pizza was excellent.

Overall, a decent stay. I wouldn't stay again, though.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank ccarbone22
Reviewed 6 November 2018

Right off the bat I will say I was concerned after reading some reviews re: construction at the hotel. I spend 5 nights there and can categorically say they are more or less finished with construction. And what little construction was occurring had absolutely zero impact on my use and enjoyment of the hotel.

I stayed in a queen ocean side room and it was beautifully appointed, clean, had a killer shower, great air conditioning, and a comfortable (if a bit hard for my liking) mattress. Breakfasts are nothing to rave about but you have plenty of western and Vietnamese choices from fruit, to salads, to toast, to noodles, to soups, juices and coffee.

The pool is clean and a great temperature - it gets a bit of shade around the edges during the day so you can lounge around and sip on a cocktail or beer without getting burnt to a crisp!

The staff were also very very friendly, including the two guest service managers who are on site from 8 to 12 every morning to help you book everything and everything you need. I had a few issues with my key card for my room but the staff were very attentive and efficient in helping resolve my issue

Date of stay: October 2018