“Great new restaurant at Muri -Moana Sands Laguna Restaurant”

Laguna on Muri Beach
Ranked #8 of 8 Restaurants in Muri
Price range: US$3 - US$24
Description: A beautiful beachfront dining space with exquisite cuisine made with fresh produce and technical precision. A total dining delight.
Reviewed 19 January 2019

We went here for our last night at Muri
Seven of us .There was another big table that ordered before us ,so food was a bit longer than normal but worth the wait and its Island time right....
Food was great and good value.Happy hour also and number one son had the fishbowl cocktail..must be tried.
I would and my family rate this the best evening meal we had ,better than Tamarind House.
Our accomodation owner Adam recommended it and he was right again.
Fijian chef excellent staff were very friendly and nice outdoor setting by the pool looking out to the lagoon.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank seanjulie2018

Reviewed 10 January 2019 via mobile

We popped by to enjoy their happy hour and we would actually rate this more on the “good” scale.
Heineken beer for $3.50 and a pina colada for $10.
Friendly staff.
Great view.
Lots of indoor and outdoor seating by the beach and pool.
Their food menu also looked top notch. We particularly liked the idea of the $20 lunch buffet between 12-2!

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank lanbriget
Reviewed 1 December 2018

We were keen to try this newly opened restaurant which is attached to the new Moana Sands Lagoon Resort. We visited the restaurant to choose and book a table.

We were able to park in a large area opposite the resort. Hopefully this is permanent as parking is difficult at many places and it’s good to be able to park in a designated area rather than on the roadside.

We fought our way through the door at reception into the area containing the accommodation and the restaurant. The wind off the lagoon was just about gale force. And, interestingly, the door into the restaurant is opaque and gives no indication that there is, in fact, a restaurant behind the door, but I guess the house guests would know. Because of the weather all the doors leading to the outside seating were firmly shut so we didn’t get an idea of what the view of the pool, resort and the lagoon would be from the restaurant. But the restaurant itself had a high ceiling and fans kept the temperature airy and pleasant.

We arrived and were shown to our chosen table. The waitress gave us menus and said she’d be back shortly to explain the specials. She didn’t come back and my menu didn’t have the dinner selection – only breakfast and lunch, but we got this fixed. The waiter did explain the dinner specials when asked but not without difficulty as his English was not the best.

We ordered entrees of Chilli Prawns for me and the ‘special’ of Seafood Chowder for him. We also ordered a bottle of Tohu Sauvignon Blanc. The wine arrived reasonably quickly but we waited and waited and waited for the entrees. There was only one couple already seated when we arrived so there was no backlog in the kitchen.

When, eventually, the food arrived it was good. His seafood chowder was very good (I tasted some). My chilli prawns were beautifully presented although I was a little surprised to find that the prawns were ceviche and not cooked. That being said, the dish was delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There was another long wait for our main courses. During the wait my husband decided to order a glass of red wine to eat with his beef. We had some difficulty in making ourselves understood to the waiter but did manage to order something when we asked for the menu several times and then pointed to what we wanted.

For a main course he ordered the Beef Tenderloin which he enjoyed – it was cooked to his satisfaction and a good portion. My choice was Panfried Scallops. This dish was, I think, served with couscous but there were not many scallops. It was very tasty but a very small portion – no more than entrée size and I finished it long before my husband was half way through his meal. I was still hungry.

We decided not to bother with a dessert as we thought the wait would be too long. By that time the restaurant was busy so I’m not sure how the kitchen coped with them.

We did decide to give the restaurant another chance and made another booking. When we arrived we immediately asked about the specials – there was no blackboard – and were told they were the same as on the previous occasion so maybe they aren’t actually specials at all.

But we were also told they had no scallops – nor did they have any tuna. This basically meant that 4 different dishes were off the menu. We decided to go elsewhere.

This restaurant has been open for a few months now and should have ironed out any teething problems. Obviously there are things that need sorting out in the kitchen – length of time waiting for food etc. And there must be ordering problems – scallops are not fresh on the island so it seems extraordinary that someone had forgotten to order packets of the frozen article. And, if there wasn’t fresh tuna available I’m sure there would have been a suitable alternative – at the time we were there the supplies of fish were reasonable.

We could see the potential of this restaurant. A couple of the dishes were excellent. But things need to be sorted in the kitchen in terms of timing of food delivery, food portions and food ordering. And further staff training is needed for the restaurant staff.

Hopefully improvements will be made before our next visit to Raro.

Date of visit: October 2018
3  Thank nzlilibet
Reviewed 13 October 2018

Great Service and Nicely appointed Dining area,inside and outside .overlooking the Lagoon .
The Menu and Meals did not disappoint
We could not fault any part of our evening and they were very busy ,so recommend booking

Date of visit: October 2018
RPTE, Owner at Laguna on Muri Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2018

Thank you for dining with us. Reservations are highly recommended to avoid being turned away on 'a la carte' dinner nights Mon to Sat. Sunday BBQ is open for everyone.

Reviewed 10 October 2018

A lovely quiet restaurant in a couples only resort.
Good food and friendly service, inside or outdoors tables available

Date of visit: September 2018

Thank you for dining with us.