“Fun and Delicious!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We loved this place. It’s a unique experience, the food is wonderful, everyone is friendly. Generally, top notch.
I loved the laidback atmosphere, the warmth from the coals, and I really loved the hot whole fish with a side of ice cold beer. :)

I hope to make it back some day! Thanks Trip Advisor reviewers for bringing this place to our attention!

1  Thank kmcd23

Reviewed 2 April 2018

My family and I had a great experience trying this place in an unexpected snow day in late March. The building, decoration, the arrangement, the food, the way of cooking brought us back to the ancient Japan.
One thing to keep in mind though is that your cloth will be filled with BBQ smoke after the meal, so choose your outfit wisely if you plan to come. ;)

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Booking the restaurant was no problem, but do it plenty in advance.
The owner was very helpful in suggesting what we should eat, particularly as 3 of the 4 of us don't eat seafood!! (I LOVED my trout.)
If you have picky eaters, I do not suggest you come here, as it does feel very different to western style food. Still, we loved it, some of us more than others.
Our non-seafood eaters were amply remunerated with other food, beef, etc.
I had one wish, that they served chicken. That would have solved a lot of problems.

The menu is by the set...so you can't pick and choose individual items, more a set of items. however, as I said, our seafood was swapped for other things.

Perhaps a 'learning experience'? but I'm not sure why the very strange vegetable jelly thing is on the menu. REally, really awful. I'm very adventurous and I suffered....even THEY said it was an aquired taste. ...what taste? It's all texture, like eating a BBQ jellyfish.
My trout was divine, the boys got some beef instead, which was lovely. The bbq corn was delicious. A quail each was virtually impossible to eat...for us anyway...Im just not sure how it was supposed to be, and perhaps we cooked it too long. Pretty solid thing with bones in it.
We got rice, and green tea, as much as we wanted.
The experience of BBQ ing over the super hot coals in a fire pit, in that wonderful atmosphere was something I won't forget. My husband was given a small stool as he struggled to sit on his legs...something which you should keep inmind, particularly if travelling with older people.
The whole thing took rather a long time, as it should...piece by piece, it doesn't need to be rushed, you need to give yourself a few hours here. It's not an in / out kind of place.
}The decor and building itself are a marvel. Wonderful to look a t and admire, I believe it's very historial, an old farmhouse.
The staff were attentive, mostly, at the beginning, however I felt a little isolated when cooking, we didn't really know how long, or how to do it...even though we're bbq masters at home, we seemed to stuff a lot up. A bit of supervision would have gone a long way.
All in all, a very interesting cultural experience, the building, the friendly staff and the actual BBQ and process,...the food left a bit to be desired, I wonder if some items wouldn't be better left to choice rather than compulsory. That's the only reason for my 'medium' rating...the atmosphere gets 10/10 and initial service as well, but backup help and food, only a 5/10.

1  Thank jenny2222
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Went for dinner in late Dec. The food and place were really cool and we had a great time. The staff was really nice and helped us figure out the BBQ. Definitely would recommend it highly.

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

We went to Sanrokuen for lunch while we were in the area for Mt Fuji and it was absolutely amazing. One of those special experiences that you feel you probably won’t have the opportunity to have ever again. I got the 3000 yen set and my boyfriend for the Fuji set - seems like a lot but you get a ridiculous amount food. The udon is ‘hoto’ style udon - flat udon noodles stewed in an incredible miso pumpkin broth. Possibly the best noodles I’ve ever had and my partner said the fresh scallop he had in his set was equally amazing. The restaurant itself has a fantastic atmosphere to it - smokey, with people leaning over a Japanese coal fire cooking their food peacefully. The service was also great for English speakers, accommodating and polite. Well worth the visit!