“Fantastic”

The Barley Mow Bonsall
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Bonsall
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed at the beautiful Cascade Gardens and recommended to go to The Barley Mow.

Food was excellent, made to feel very welcome. So good that we went back the next night and had an even better evening with live music, dancing and fine local ciders. If I had a local like this I'd go to it all the time, just the most fabulous welcoming atmosphere. Lovely people who didn't mind that we were the only non-locals.

1  Thank steve_frazer
Colette Elizabe... D, Owner at The Barley Mow Bonsall, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hello there! Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to write such a great review! Welove our pub and are chuffed you liked it too! The thing is... this isn't our pub Tripadvisor page.... someone else set this one up! I am sure they thought they were helping etc, but I have only discovered this recently!! I asked Tripadvisor if they could combine the two pages...but alas they cannot.

The only option is to shut the page down.... It would be a shame to lose all these great reviews on this page though... can I be as bold as to ask you to please please please re-post this onto the main page? Our main page comes under "Restaurants"..BARLEY MOW BONSALL and has the orange symbol with knife and fork... I know its clearly not a restaurant, but when we first started with Tripadvisor, there was no segmentation for pubs etc.

Your reviews are so very important to the popularity of the pub. As you know, we are a tiny free house, up a lane in deepest darkest Derbyshire... and you lovely people have quite literally put us on the map! It would be disingenuous to appear to reply to you all independently, whilst there is very good chance I would remember if you came back to see us...I cannot remember you as easy from your Tripadvisor profile! Henceforth, this is a copy and paste job, for all the reviews on this page... but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate your goodwill and support. With love. Colette and Mick x

All reviews
"chips"
"collette"
"kitchen"

Reviewed 27 October 2017

We came here after checking out some trip advisor reviews for local pubs whilst we were on holiday in Matlock, and we weren't disappointed. Whilst the pub and kitchen are both small (and therefore food takes a little while to come out), it is clearly all fresh and lovingly made. The Monster Burger was exactly that and was fantastic. Everybody (wife and 2 kids, 7 and 9) loved it. Really friendly people running it and great, cosy atmosphere. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Great atmosphere. Very welcoming. Wished we lived in Bonsall as this would be our local. We went for the hen racing day which was very popular.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

While staying in the village of Bonsall, and having read all the reviews of The Barley Mow, we phoned ahead and booked a table and its a good job we did! It was busy and being of a small stature space is at a premium,but it punches far above its size, i could write a book on its qualities but suffice to say it is every thing all the excellent reviews say it is , quite simply it has to be one of the best pubs around, and as a famous man of Derby once said "it may not be the best pub around , but its definitely in the top 1! The hosts have created an ambiance ,unique in these days of chain pubs,and great credit is due to them and all the locals who support the pub and its many unique events, love to return and be privy to such an occasion some day, meanwhile all you derbyshire folk keep supporting this member of an ever decreasing number of proper village pubs,you are very lucky! Cheers !

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2017

What a gem - small but full of character. The food is excellent; home cooked and delicious. Friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We went several times and were never disappointed. Music on Saturday evenings - what more could you ask for?