“Very nice restaurant with great service”

Restaurant Hotel Moosegg
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Emmenmatt
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2016

The place and the view directly from your table is just beautiful. Food, service and restaurant is very good as well.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

We stopped for a mid-afternoon snack and cooling drink on the hottest of days and, whilst it was not a cheap pitstop, it was worth it just to sit on the terrace with a cooling breeze and soak up that wonderful view of the snowy mountains of the Berner Oberland in the distance, and the gently rolling and wooded Emmental in the foreground - beautiful and peaceful. Our waiter was friendly and we enjoyed the sharing platter of meats & cheeses, along with some salads and a delicious coffee ice-cream. We would happily return another time.

Reviewed 29 October 2015 via mobile

Food:
I'm not able to judge Mr Lehmann&Team's cooking abilities, due we only ordered dessert. Vermicelles tasted nice, presentaion was not mindblowing.

Service:
Was ok, they were all attentive and friendly.

Atmosphere:
The view is the biggest plus at Moosegg. We managed to get window seats and enjoyed the beautiful view on the alps, Langnau and the rest of Emmental.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I was invited to this beautiful place with a great view over the Valley of Emmen (Emmental). The scenery was as to be expected in this part of Switzerland and the service was outstanding.

Very friendly staff paying high attention to details and guest's needs. Always available when ever need, but also discretely in the background when engaged in a conversation with the business partner.

The food was carefully selected, prepared and also presented.

the restaurant Moosegg is a place to go when you want to experience Swiss tradition on it's highest level.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Valentine's Day, 2013. It was a dark and snowy night. As we drove along a winding mountain pass, identified by our GPS only as "unnamed road," I was beginning to think that this romantic evening would end with us stuck in a snow drift, scrounging through the glove box for months-old chocolate and granola bars. Instead, an oasis of light greeted us around one final bend and, there, Restaurant Moosegg stood in all her glowing glory.

When I asked my husband how he found this place he replied, "It is well known...among us insiders" - which probably means that his stepfather [a retired chef and hotelier] clued him in. As we crossed the threshold, I was at first put off a bit by the dated decor and the emptiness. I mean, it is a bit remote [about a 40-minute drive outside of Bern], but it was Valentine's Day. So where were all the swooning couples? Okay, Valentine's Day is not the big deal in Europe that it is in North America, but still, I was a little worried...

The warm greeting from our hostess helped to assuage my concerns and, when she seated us by the expansive window overlooking the town of Langnau, I was glad that we virtually had the place to ourselves. Perched atop a steep hill, we could watch cars traverse the twisted road below, their headlights bouncing off the white-glazed slopes.

The atmosphere was lovely, but of course, it would be the food that would make or break this Valentine's experience. I was intrigued by the evening menu's soup: A horseradish concoction with beets and scallop. Although I did not want the evening menu, the server was gracious enough to let me order a la carte and mix and match. So, I ordered the soup to be followed by sea bass with a side of citron risotto. Before our choices arrived, an amuse bouche of sauerkraut soup with chives came compliments of the chef. It sounds odd (sauerkraut soup), but this is the second time I've had it at a Swiss restaurant and I am determined to find a recipe. It's fantastic - and apparently very healthy.

The chef at the Moosegg is Daniel Lehmann, apparently a local treasure who is an acclaimed talent in these parts. This evening, however, he was not onsite but in Austria, tending to culinary the needs of the Swiss ski team at the big finals. He would be proud to know that his wife maintained the fine reputation of his kitchen in his absence. My horseradish soup was adorned with a voluptuous panko-crusted scallop accompanied by a smattering of beet cubes, which imparted a pink hue to this delicate potage. Composed of a bit of scallop, cube of beet and velvety broth - it all melted into the perfect bite. Similarly, my sea bass was prepared to moist, delicate perfection garnished with sweet roasted tomatoes, while the lemony risotto was the poster-child for what all risotto aspires to be.

If there is any complaint to register it is that the portions were so generous that we nearly had to consider foregoing dessert - and that, dear reader, would have been a tragedy. But we soldiered on and decided to share the chocolate creme brûlée with ginger. I shall dream of this dessert with its razor-thin almond brittle garnish... We quickly regretted our decision to share, as our spoons wrestled for the last chocolatey schmears inside the dainty cup. Oh - and the coffee: Sublime.

If you live in, around or are visiting Bern, beat a path to this place. It's a beautiful drive to a fabulous meal with warm, unobtrusive service. I can't wait to return in the daylight and in the spring, in autumn to experience the talents of Herr and Frau Lehmann in all their seasons.