“Adrenaline rush”
Review of Gravity Canyon

Gravity Canyon
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Taihape
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can experience the most extreme flying fox (Zip Line) in New Zealand. Imagine being launched from a canyon ledge 175m above the Rangitikei River before racing down a 1km long zip line at speeds of up to 160kph! This amazing adventure activity quite literally takes your breath away!
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Adrenaline rush”
Reviewed September 4, 2015

Three of us had booked to go on the Flying Fox... we then noticed the 'September Special' online, which meant rocking up in onesies to get our experience half price. A fun promotion which made for even funnier photos. All facilitated for us by the friendly duty manager.
Unfortunately we were unable to go on the Flying Fox due to a technical glitch. Understanding that these things happen - and obviously glad that safety was the main deciding factor! - we decided to take on the Giant Bridge Swing instead (NZ's highest bridge swing). This was great fun and a real adrenaline rush. The staff up on the platform were fun, helpful and reassuring throughout.
Be aware that the whole experience does involve a little hanging around, particularly if there are any issues with the weather or ensuring equipment is good to go. Also the harness may not be suitable for somebody with back problems - it's a slightly uncomfortable position to hang in. There's a good viewing platform for anyone who is watching rather than taking part and hot/cold food and drinks are available in the lodge.
In general, I'd recommend this experience to anyone travelling through the Taihape area who is looking for something fun and a little different. I reckon it's good for the soul to do something that scares you every now and then!

Visited September 2015

Ireland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Great fun”
Reviewed August 29, 2015

Had great fun here. Did the Flying Fox, frightened the life out of us but was really fun. Didn't attempt bungy or swing chair. As it was winter we couldn't do too much but was well worth a visit

Visited July 2015
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Staff need more training”
Reviewed February 26, 2015

Me and my mum went here we did not think the staff was helpful at all , we were not told that we had to walk to the top ( bearing in mind my mum has bad asthma ) just got some sarcastic comment from staff " how eles do you think you would get up here " which was not the point . the path was not good and was not told we would need better shoes ( especially for the walk down ) and the staff drove up the track on a quad bike with out warning and covered us in dust with big smiles on their faces which did not make breathing any better and could be pertinently dangerous . The flying fox was good but staff need to be better

Visited February 2015
1 Thank Richie DA M
Manchester, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“No bungy friday/saturday!?”
Reviewed February 11, 2015

We stopped here by pure chance after a local at our Hostel suggested a quick stopover on our way down to Wellington. There's not a lot there other than the gorge and activities so if you're not planning on doing anything I wouldn't recommend the side trip (the gorge is very nice but a significant way off the highway). Having the highest bungy jump in the North island I was quite excited and loved the only other bungy I'd done before so was keen to do another but turns out it's closed on friday and saturday! So instead I did the swing which was the same free fall as the bungy but, in my opinion, lacked the same thrill. It was still good but the one thing I came away thinking is that a swing just isn't as good as leaping off a bridge into a head first free fall. Will have to save myself for a trip to the south island to do the serious stuff!

Visited January 2015
Seattle, Washington
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Its your chance to fly!”
Reviewed January 29, 2015

Tried the Flying Fox because it looked like so much fun and people were screaming on the way down! Absolutely loved it. This was one of the highlights of my New Zealand trip. Sure, it was nuts, but this is the land of extreme sports so I had to give it a try. The scariest part of the whole experience was facing the long climb up. I thought that would kill me before I could reach my destination. But once there, the thrill takes over and you are ready to go. The views from the top are spectacular. You can fly down solo, in doubles, or even in threes. The staff were great and encouraging too! I could have zipped down the canyon all day.

Visited January 2015