“Amazing time at Lazy H”
Review of Lazy H Horse Treks

Lazy H Horse Treks
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This place is absolutely amazing! beautiful sceneries, well behaved and caring horses, plus friendly and lovely owners, a must do and see if you are in North Island!
We've done the overnight ride too, and wow this was breathe taking!! The view from the accomodation is so beautiful, especially at sunset, and the accomodation itself reminded me of the old western movies... horses set free outside the hut, cooking traditionnal food on an old wood oven, telling stories by the candle light and sleeping with the singing of crickets :) an amazing experience that took me right back to another era where humans were living in total harmony with their environments... Thank you Lazy H, Sarah and Gordi for this never-to-forget adventure!

1  Thank Nanie6752

Reviewed 19 August 2012

My friend and I booked the overnight ride. When we arrived everything was ready, the people were very welcoming and friendly. They gave us our helmets and oilskins and they drove us to the starting point of the trek. The horses were ready, the guides put the rest of the gear on and helped us onto our horses. My horses name was Jackson and my friends horse was Cherokkee. Our guides were two older cowboys and and a young girl. They were all very funny and friendly and told us a lot about the landscape. We coud see mt ruapehu and mt. tongariro and we saw some wild ponys. The ride up to the hut was nice and easy. When we came around one corner we saw this cute little a-frame hut. The guides took all the gear of the horses and washed them down. The hut had two levels, my friend and I slept upstairs. We had a nice afternoon talking to our guides and watching the horses. The two cowboys showed us how to throw a lasso...a lot of fun. Then they told us that their horses were trained with natrual horsemanship and I was interessed so they showed me some stuff. I got my horse Jackson to follow me around like a dog...so cute and amazing.
The hut was very simple but ok, the toilet was a little outhouse. But it made the experience complete. We had a venison steak and potato salad for dinner with some mushrooms. At night you could see so many stars, it was awesome.
The next morning after a nice breakfast we caught our horses and our guides made them ready and put all the gear back on. On the ride back we saw more wild ponys and after 1,5 h we were back at the starting point. We were brought back to our car and were happy to have had that experience.
It was my best ride and I learned more about horses. I will definitly come back one day and can recommend this horse trekking place to everybody...

3  Thank eowyn999
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I felt at ease riding at Lazy H horse treks because the guides were very concerned about their customer's safety. The owners are helpful and very, very nice people :D And that reflected in their horses too! Such well behaved horses! Plus, the views during the ride were spectacular!

3  Thank yltyeo
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The guides are friendly and helpful, the horses are extremely well behaved and easy to ride, and the views are absolutely amazing, one of the best places for horse trekking in all of New Zealand! I would recommend Lazy H Horse Treks to anyone, whether they are new to horse riding or experienced, you'll be guaranteed to have an awesome time here!

4  Thank Caboose409
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I rode while I spent my year out in New Zealand and I chose this place, because I love horses. I have to say, it was fantastic. The hole atmosphere was very relaxed and familial. They treat there horses with natural horsemanship, the scenery is breath taking and even people with few riding eperiences can come on tour. The Guides tell a lot about the landscape und you can have great fun with them. I can only recommend to visit Lazy H Horse Treks.
Please excuse my bad englisch. Haven't used it for quite some time.

5  Thank YvonneBl