“Poor service rude staff”
Review of The Bread & Cheese

The Bread & Cheese
Ranked #15 of 66 Restaurants in Benfleet
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Second time I have come in a week. This is my local and I have been here regularly however, the poor service and attitude of the staff means I won't be coming back in a rush.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My partner and I came here to eat this week after a bad experience at another local place and were pleasantly surprised as we were only expecting normal pub style food. The staff greeted us as if they had known us a while and actually wanted us there. We were offered a choice of seating in a brightly lit comfortable setting away from the bar. Our aperitifs were brought to us promptly and my negroni was delicious with plenty of gin and martini and ice. You'd be surprised how many bars these days have young staff who don't even know how to make drinks. Anyway we ordered halloumi starters which were delicious and some other bits and bobs you would expect from a pub menu. The mains we ordered came out promptly and were more than satisfying. But more than anything it was the quality of the service and the atmosphere that made our evening. We decided to stay for more drinks and taxi home as they really know how to make a drink. Anyway all in all a very nice evening to relax after a stressful week and as far as a pub meal goes you can't really get better than this. I've been to restaurants lately that don't even come close to this humble public house. It's knows what it is, it's not pretentious and the staff are experienced and friendly , what more could you ask for. Thank you for a lovely evening we will certainly be returning soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had not been to the Bread and Cheese for many years and did not rate it as much more than a pub that did a bit of food. We therefore called in for a pub lunch. We found it had completely changed and has been turned into a nicely decorated restaurant with a comprehensive and interesting menu.
An extra dish on was king prawn linguine which I had whilst my wife had the ham and eggs. It took a while to come (good thing, usually shows it is being cooked fresh) but I have to say that the linguine was the best I have ever tasted. The prawns were huge and tasty and the pasta properly cooked in a very tasty sauce. My wife's ham and eggs was also excellent, nice thick ham, eggs nicely cooked and home cooked chips, on a hot plate.
I was more than satisfied and not a little surprised at the standard of food, service and decor. Also that living nearby we had neglected to visit for so long.
We will definitely go again and would recommend

Reviewed March 17, 2018

Food was substandard, service was terrible and the place has no atmosphere except lots of miserable servers.

Reviewed March 8, 2018

Myself and 4 friends had a 2 course set menu meal on Wednesday night,the meal was nice but we were totally shocked at being charged £66.00 for 2 bottles of Pino Grigio wine and 1bottle of Prosseco.
I have searched the internet for pub/restaurant prices and have found none at anywhere near these prices.
SO NEEDLESS TO SAY WE WONT BE COMING BACK.

1  Thank susanwilliams1