“Awesome western riding experience!”

Adventure Horse Trekking
Reviewed 8 July 2016

I did the half day trek with my German sister and both loved it! We are 16 & 17 and had an awesome time with Bill and his tag along farm dogs. It's a real kiwi experience with beautiful scenery beautiful horses and it's actually quite therapeutic :) Would defiantly advise doing it!!!

Reviewed 21 April 2016 via mobile

My daughter (10) and I spent about 3 and a half hours with Bill, his gorgeous quarter horses and fabulous working dogs.

Bill is very welcoming, in a low key kind of way. We felt well sorted and comfortable in the western saddles by the time we took off on the trek across his farm. The horses are very receptive to gentle touch on the reins and rider position, and happy at a gentle "jog".

This is a great value trek across a beautiful hill country heartland Kiwi farm, and Bill is a great host.

Reviewed 20 July 2015

I did the half day trek riding the beautiful Elegance. We were very fortunate to have wonderful weather and there was only a very small group of us - Bill, myself and another lady who rides with Bill regularly - which made it very personal and friendly. The first half of the ride was taking a group of Aberdeen Angus heifers to their grazing which involved teamwork and riding across the most stunning scenery! It was fantastic to see how the horses are used to work with the cattle and I feel so lucky to have been able to take part in this. We stopped for lunch at the hut whilst the horses grazed and Bill's four dogs that had come with us ran around, before heading home. Bill is so friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable about all things western - it was great to learn so much about it, especially about how he trains his horses. These pure-bred quarter horses, ridden western style are safe and exceedingly well trained; they are ridden in rope halters as opposed to bridles and are calm but alert - a joy to ride! I am an experienced rider so I wanted to find something a little different to the normal trekking in big groups across flattish land and I couldn't have chosen better! If you want to experience riding in real New Zealand countryside you can do no better than to go with Bill, I can't recommend enough!

Reviewed 7 January 2015

Normally, I dont write overly possitive reviews like this, but but....Bill Newton is running a low key but absolutly astoneshing horse trekk, close to New Plymoth. The horses are very well trained, western style, but also solid and well behaved. We booked half a day, and we rode at various speeds in the beautiful New Zealand landscape, on top of the mountains with gorgeus views. We were lucky so Bill offered a lunch at the small, hundred year hut, Both hot dogs and fish ( my wife does not eat meat). tasted very well after some hours in the sadle and in a ferrytale surroundings. This is possibly the single best thing you can do in New Zealand, and should be on any top list of a world wide bucket list. www.adventuretrekking.co.nz

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We went on a two hour trek through Bill Newton's stunning land in north Taranaki and had a fantastic experience. With two fairly experienced riders - my mum and my sister - and myself (not a complete beginner, but not experienced) Bill gave us a fantastic day with his stunning purebred American quarter horses. All perfectly trained, ridden without bits and receptive to the slightest shift in your weight as a command, the horses are top level. This isn't a string of bored trek hroses, these are Bill's pride and joy. As a reult, they were well-trained enough for me to feel very comfortable, but had enough of a spark to make things interesting!

Bill is a lovely guy, very friendly but doesn't talk your ear off and makes sure you're comfortable in the saddle before taking off for the steep hills of his block.

For a slice of rural NZ life, the rugged farmer, the pack of gorgeous huntaway dogs, his Angus beef cows, dairy herd and flocks of chickens in dramatic hills from the back of a beautiful horse can't be beaten.

3  Thank TessHock