Ryokan Sanga(Minamioguni-machi)
Fujiya(Minamioguni-machi)
Fumoto Ryokan(Minamioguni-machi)
Hanamura(Minamioguni-machi)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbreakfast and dinnerthe buskumamotosoundpicktownonsenryokan
Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Everything about this ryokan is incredible. The onsen facilities are top class. Food is great. Tatami bedrooms are beautiful. The town itself is a lot of fun and very charming. Highly recommended visit!

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

We stayed for one night only.

Wonderful service. They can arrange for pickup and drop off if requested.

Just 5 -10 minutes walk to shops, but yet quiet and secluded.

The room comes with a view of the river and the cliff. I woke up to the sounds of the birds and river running!

The public onsen comes with a indoor and outdoor pool. There are private family Onsen too! The water felt different, it is not as drying as the other onsens we been.

Will plan for a return trip and stay a longer time!

Stayed: April 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay in this ryokan. Service was fantastic. It was so cold my car windshield iced up the next morning and the staff poured hot water to remove the ice without being asked. Food was simply delicious and there was a lot to eat! For people who are shy, you can book a private onsen. The outdoor onsen for guest is nicer than the one for the Kurokawa pass. There is a onsen with brown water and another with green water. They switch from male to female everyday so guests can enjoy both the onsens. Our Rooms are traditional Tatami style which were simple but very clean. I will return to stay in this Ryokan if I pass this way again

Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2015

Kurokawa is an Onsen town located near to Mount Aso in Kumamoto prefecture. It takes around 1 to 2 hours drive from Kumamoto town Centre. Kurokawa So is a ryokan which provides ryokan stay plus Kaiseiki Dinner. What I like about the place is that the staff are very friendly and the host can speak good English. We were there early during lunch hour and she was able to recommend us a home made soba restaurant just behind the Ryokan, it was another good experience which I will share in my next review. The Onsen boasts of 2 large outside pool for guests to relax. There are also 2 indoor pools in case the weather gets cold. We were a family of 5 and all of us could gather into one large tatami room. The dinner was served in the room and the housekeeper helped us to set up the futons for the night. It was indeed an awesome experience. I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice romantic ryokan experience. The phone number on the GPS doesn't work, you would need to key in the information centre phone number in the town. Kurokawa So is located just as you are entering the village, easy to find.

Room Tip: The rooms are allocated according to the number of guests
  • Stayed: December 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2015

Beautiful resort with spacious tatami room. The premise is immaculately clean and the courteous staff with excellent service level from shuttle pick-up, through meal serving shows how much the Kurokawa So team take pride in their hospitality. I love the large outdoor onsen that is set amidst the boulders, facing a vertical cliff, relaxing in nature is truly an excellent experience for the body and the soul! They switch the male and the female onsen everyday so we got to experience the difference. We stayed 2 nights with breakfast and dinner. Dinner was an elaborate, 2-hour course. The food was beautifully decorated with great attention to details. Chef Akira must be so proud of his creation in the kitchen. Every dish was so oishi that our stomach was filled to the brim. The lady that served our meals spoke English so the explanation on how and when to eat what really added to the entire experience of this onsen stay.
This resort is set away from the rest at the main street so it has privacy and it is near enough by foot for day-time excursion. Getting there is easy by highway bus from Kumamoto. There is bus from Fukuoka Airport too. Free shuttle pick up from the bus stop was very helpful.
Our experience did not just end at checkout. We left our camera backpack in the shuttle van that dropped us at the bus stop and when we realized it, our bus had left for 10mins. I called the resort and despite the language barrier, the reception grasped what i was trying to tell. They immediately decided to drive after the bus and they did for 1 hour+ to a major stop and handed me my bag. If there is an award for service excellence, i will vote for Kurokawa-So. It was well worth the price. Arigatogozaimasu to Team Kurokawa So.

• Stayed: December 2015, traveled with family