Ryounkaku
Frontier Furanui Spa(Kamifurano-cho)
Kamihoroso(Kamifurano-cho)
Furano La Terre(Nakafurano-cho)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Furano Hops Hotel(Kamifurano-cho)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswinterbathsnowageviewonsen
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Went for onsen only. Don't forget to bring your own bath towel, or else you can rent. Water is red, bathing facility is old and not super clean. The redeeming factor is the view from outside onsen (yes there are floating bugs and spider creeping on the stone). OH WHAT A VIEW. You need to pass through creaking door from inside onsen, watch out because it is slippery. 800Yen for day use. Friendly lady attending on the front desk.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2016

After a quick stay in Niseko, we traveled to Ryounkaku for an wonderful Central Hokkaido ski trip. It was awesome! We were only planning to stay two nights, but because the skiing is so great right out of the onsen, we decided to stay two more nights. This place is located at the highest point in the area, has amazing views, and the staff is outstanding - super friendly and very accommodating. It is an older hotel, with shared bathrooms, and amenities that are dated, but it's charming and quaint and perfect for a ski trip. The rooms and shared spaces are clean (you may see stains on the floors and a few walls, but it's not bad) and the food is great, especially after a hard day of backcountry skiing - breakfast and lunch! Yes, there are comments about the onsen being older and orange as well, and yes, the water is orange so there are stains in some of the indoor pools, but the minerals cause the color and it's actually pretty cool and a very authentic Japanese experience. Overall, we had an amazing stay and would highly recommend this place, especially for a ski trip in Central Hokkaido. Great value, great food, great staff and great views!

Room Tip: Book a traditional Japanese style room with dinner. Great value and great food.
  • Stayed: January 2016, traveled as a couple
3  Thank eledergerber
Reviewed 1 March 2015

We went here just for the Onsen experience after a day skiing. Traditional Onsen with outside hot spring bathing. The water is muddy and full of natural minerals and the view across the valley to the high mountain range is stunning. Go there late in the day to enjoy the crispness of the air and the sun setting on the snow laden mountain range

Stayed: February 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dougsworld
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We stayed for one night in early February and as long as you know what to expect, this is heaven.

1. The hotel -- this is a 50-year-old traditional ryokan. This is not a posh boutique 5-star establishment and it never claims it is. It doesn't charge first-rate hot spring resort prices either. Thus, it's only fair to comment on its state of dilapidation against the room rate, the food provided and the hotel grounds. It's near the peaks of Daisatsuzan and you can enjoy breathtaking views of mountains, ice-rimmed trees and even the town of Furano from afar. But it's charging only a fraction of what up-market ryokans are charging. We stayed in the 12-tatami room called Matsu-no-kan (room of pine). The room was at the corner of the building and you can see 180-degree view of the mountains. We paid only 9500 yen per person, breakfast and dinner included (50th anniversary special until April 2014, after which the standard rate applies). If you've been to Kyoto or Kyushu, even ryokan charging over 30,000 yen per person per night can't offer such views. Yes, I agree there are stains on the wallpaper and curtains. Yes, you can smell the age of the building and there are cigarette burn marks on the tatami but the room was actually very clean. And after all, I think it's a bargain given the quality of the food and the dramatic setting the ryokan was in.

2. Food: very good and in generous portions. My wife could barely finish the set dinner with slice pork hot pot, pork cutlet, sashimi, pickles, vegetable stew etc. And it's all very tasty. In fact, it's one of the best pork cutlet I've tasted -- juicy, not too fatty and very tender. The breakfast was a mix of Japanese and Western food: toast, juice, coffee, rice, grilled salmon, pickles and various cold side dishes. For the cost of living in Japan, a dinner and a breakfast like that could easily fetch 5000 yen.

3. Onsen: It's an iron-rich source and it's very murky and brown in colour. It's known as "gold bath" in Japan and it's actually quite common. Did I mention the view? I can literally spend hours in the hot water watching the clouds rolling in and the peak stained red by the setting sun. It's the most magical onsen experience I've ever had. And to me, just the view and the hot spring are worth the trip. There are two pools on the men's side, one hotter than the other. My wife commented that the outdoor pool was only lukewarm and quite a bit smaller than the men's one. So, maybe guys get more out of it. Just a point of note: watch, or better, "feel" your steps. You really can't see through the murky spring water and you have to be really careful. I fell and cut my knees.

Last but not least, all the good things I experienced happened on a partly cloudy day. If it's dumping snow like hell and visibility falls, you won't see a thing and it's not worth it.

Room Tip: Get a 12-tatami room with private bath and washroom, preferably Matsu-no-kan.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jaylowe
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This ryokan is located at the top of the mountain between Biei and Furano. It was about 30 mins drive up from the Blue Pond and it was like a trip up to the heavens due to the descending fog. The hotel is 1,280m above sea level. We reached at sunset and the view was breathtaking. We could not resist a photo opportunity.

The hotel is quite rundown and had an oldish smell. We were recommended to go for their natural hot spring for the night. Honestly it was quite a scare for my husband and me. The women's hot spring looked reddish and creepy, perhaps due to the minerals from the hot spring. The doors were rusty and the hot spring was colder than the usual hot spring temperature. I picked up the courage to try the outdoor hot spring, but when a moth flew by, I decided it was time to get back to my room. My husband's experience was similar for the men's hot spring except the water was hotter.The room also had some insects.

However, we did enjoy the dinner which was pork with barbecue sauce and many other small dishes.

One thing to note is that at the point of booking, wireless internet was indicated but there wasn't any. We had a local data plan but we could not pick up any signal due to the location.

I will not recommend this for travelers who are particular about the state of the facilities, but for photo-fanatics or nature lovers who enjoy the wilderness. I hear it is also beautiful in the winter so perhaps that will be a better time to go. I suppose it is a good place to relax, re-group, enjoy the hot spring and simply do nothing at all.

Room Tip: Request for a room that faces the same direction as the hotel entrance to catch the beautiful sunset.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family