All reviewsthe pubcontinental breakfaststeakpuddingmain courserooms bookedgreat food and friendly staffworked very hardcodfamily groupchocolate browniegroupon dealfull englishpretty villagetasteful decorenjoyed an excellentshoulder of lamb
Reviewed 20 April 2018

We came to the Marquess last year and thoroughly enjoyed it; hence our return. We had a wonderful welcome from Jason, who we saw later in the bar for our evening meal. Such a nice chap. Thanks also to Joanna, always smiling and cheerful. So good to see Jill again, Brian's PA, who is fabulous! The team here work very hard to make you feel welcome and comfortable so thank you! We were in room 15 upstairs, which is a nice twin room with a walk in shower. Yes the room was warm but we were staying during the hottest April days since 1949! There is a fan in the room but we brought our own. A tip for travellers in the summer anywhere in the UK if you are able to take a fan then do. There are lovely quality toiletries in the bathroom. Now for the food. We really can't fault it and couldn't last year either. Try the sharing dish of slow cooked lamb, it is absolutely delicious! Breakfast is a continental offer included in the room tariff but cooked breakfast is available, if preferred, at a very reasonable price. The Hambletons Bakery Bread is also delicious. We would highly recommend this lovely hotel in a lovely village. The surrounding villages are also stunning, a bit like the Cotswolds without the snobbery!

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

First stay. Returned for a complimentary night and dinner after a mix up in booking made close to a year ago.

Room was spacious and clean. Bright nicely decorated. Nice sleep and nice to be woken up by a sheep baa’ing and country side views.

Saturday night dinner was great. Surprisingly ace starter of a salmon and mains were either solid or great - tandoori fish.

Hearty breakfast with some nice touches. Veggie English breakfast was served with gorgeous mushrooms and pok Choi.

Very friendly host. Lovely relaxing weekend

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2018

4 of us went here for a Saturday lunch and we were not disappointed. The staff were lovely and given they seemed short staffed very good and efficient. The food was very good, everything was fresh, decent portions and well presented. The food was not expensive and i would definitely recommend this restaurant/pub for a visit. We will certainly go back.

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

My friend and I met for lunch on a Saturday. This pub is lovely inside, fire was lit, staff were friendly and professional. We chose the prawn linguine and the cod followed by a dessert and liquor coffee. Along with 2 glasses of red bill was a very reasonable £25 each incl a tip . Definitely will return.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2018

I came across this hotel quite by accident a couple of years ago. It was a very pleasant surprise. The food was outstanding and the rooms clean beautiful and the staff very accommodating. I lways find myself rebooking this hotel as a special treat. I love the food here and I have always felt so welcome. I have been to this hotel at least 6 times even though it's 30 minutes from where I live. It's what I like to call "date" night treat. Last night was no exception. Friendly accommodating staff, brilliant food at the "chocolate brownie" was the best I have ever sampled. ( and I've sampled quite a few). The ingredients are quality, even the breakfast was thoroughly enjoyable.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely but for an extra special occasion go suite
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple