“A home away from home...”

Las Palmas de San Jose
Manila, Philippines
“A home away from home...”
Reviewed September 9, 2015

We stayed at this hotel/resort because this is where the previous team stayed last year. It's located in a subdivision, 15-20 minutes from the city proper. Shuttle services are offered for a fee if you want to go grab some groceries/withdraw money. Unfortunately, it is not available on Sundays.

At first look, it's like a big guest house with rooms and a pool. Rooms are clean and basic. The TV in my room is flat screen but quite small -- it's hard to watch shows from the bed. The room I stayed in lacked a working table. A good thing is I was able to 'borrow' the one located at the common veranda. The rate comes with a plated breakfast (I highly recommend their longganisa). Eating the same selections/variety for breakfast can become a chore especially if you're staying there for 3 weeks. Their restaurant serves good food. If you have out-of-menu cravings, they can have it arranged in advance. They have courteous staff. For other activities, they have a videoke machine and a pool. The pool is of good size and the water is not that chlorinated although it could use more filtering as there are soil sediments underneath.

I guess what they could really improve on is the staff training. They get easily confused on recording charges and escalating requests to the next shift. Good thing we also maintain our own ledgers so we were able to counter-check the charges. Their recordings, if left unchecked may become losses on the part of the guest or the hotel.

Generally, it's a pleasant experience but if you prefer to be near other establishments, I suggest getting a hotel at the city proper.

Room Tip: According to my colleagues, the rooms at the 3rd floor is creepy. (maybe because it's seldom oc...
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled on business
1 Thank rachelle_cpa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 15, 2015

I stayed here for ten nights. It's not centrally located, but it is only a short ride into town proper. I got sick during my visit and the staff was very solicitious, the owner even left a dinner to take me to the clinic. I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff_Madison_12
Seattle
Reviewed October 4, 2014

This is the best hotel we stayed at on this trip so far, both in terms of amenities and value. The rooms are elegantly finished with wood inlay, indirect lighting, nice window coverings, flat screen TVs, phones, and above average bedding. Everything works and the rooms are clean.

The hotel is named for the 20 or so palm trees that grow on the grounds (in some cases through the buildings!) and provide welcome and ample shade. There is a pretty courtyard with a nice swimming pool. The local San Jose area is quiet and clean but still only a 10 minutes tricycle ride from the hotel to the Tuguegarao town center.

The owners of the place, Bob and Baby, spent time in the United States, speak very good English. They are very friendly, and are meticulous about the care and upkeep of the hotel. The staff are extremely helpful, friendly and always available. The hotel is very popular because of the reasons cited above however it was peaceful and not crowded when we stayed there off season.

The best rooms are 103 and 104 which are large family rooms with refrigerators, direct access to the pool and an off season rate around 2500 pesos.

Room Tip: Rooms 103, 104 have direct pool access and refrigerators.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rick_HSeattle
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I loved Las Palmas. My room was quite large and well designed. The bed was extremely comfortable. Downstairs away from the guest rooms was a big outdoor pool, dining area in an open court yard, and small upstairs balcony. I appreciated the fact that the guest rooms were away from the dining area to keep them quiet for siestas. I greatly enjoyed the open dining area which is accompanied with free wifi. The restaurant opened early every day to accommodate my jet lag to serve coffee and the staff was very polite and personable. The food was amazing. Breakfast was my favorite meals and should not be missed. Definitely check out the Loganisa and fried egg with rice! Upstairs above the dining area was a balcony to hang out with my cousins, drink watermelon, mango or other shakes and listen to popular music. We hung out there till about midnight every night. The circumstances of my most recent visit to Tuguegarao were bitter sweet but I will say that the staff at Las Palmas were empathetic and helped out in every way they knew how to. The location of the hotel is well placed and away from the more metro areas of the town. It is surrounded around beautiful views and very close to local tourist spots, Callou Caves and the Pinacanauan River.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Marisella A
Rockledge, Florida
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My mother passed away on Easter Sunday last April 2014. I was the only direct family member in town so I had to arrange almost everything including lodging, transportation and meals for a large number of family members coming in from around the globe. I can tell you right now that no other hotel in Tuguegarao could have been more perfect in both hospitality and service. Las Palmas gave us a home away from home with their very comfortable family style setting. The whole family gathered around a huge patio/out door dining by the pool area or by an open court yard. Food was excellent with a huge array of Filipino cuisine and some international selections from breakfast to dinner. We ate most of our meals together as a FAMILY and enjoyed our reunion. Dining is Filipino provincial style hospitality with no pretense of being aristocratic. It was
always a delight to kick back and relax just sharing this very comfortable hotel. Over all I would recommend this hotel to over most of the hotels in the city.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side will be cooler. Personal transportation preferred or rental cars available at...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family