“What a disappointment!”

The Oak Room at Tylney Hall
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Rotherwick
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Oak Room Restaurant gets its name from the rich oak panelling that creates an elegant ambience and the room is crowned with a domed ceiling. Breakfast is taken in the Oak Room Restaurant where you can enjoy beautiful views of the gardens and lawns. The Oak Room Restaurant was recently named 'The Best Restaurant in Hampshire' at the Bookatable Diner Award 2018.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My elderly mother remarked on her birthday that she had never been out for a 'proper' afternoon tea. So I decided to surprise her as a special treat. I searched the Internet and asked friends for recommendations and came up with Tylney Hall.

Firstly, there was no disabled parking but I was at least able to stop by the entrance and help her inside. To be fair, the reception area was very busy at that time but I approached the concierge and asked him if there was somewhere she could sit while I parked the car and he said she was welcome to stand where she was by the stairs and wait!!! I told him we were there for tea and that she needed a seat so he grudgingly called someone to help her and she was taken through and seated at our table.

When I joined her, no-one was there to greet me at the door to the tea room and so we sat and waited for service. We watched people being brought in and seated with menus and I eventually caught the eye of a waitress who apologised for the delay and promised to return with a menu shortly. So we waited. The menus came and we then waited for our order to be taken. More apologies and another wait for the tea to arrive. We watched other tables being served (including people that arrived after us) and finally, after an hour and a quarter, our food platter arrived. Our tea was cold and it was just after a group who had arrived after us finished theirs and left.

We hadn't ordered anything out of the ordinary. Just the afternoon tea men which was mediocre at best. 4 finger sandwiches each, a brioche, a slice of warm sausage roll with two scones with jam and cream. Looking around at other tables our cakes were very unimaginative by comparison -a couple of chocolate brownie squares, lemon tart and a nutty pastry.

When I asked the waitress whether the service was normal she said that they had had three members of staff call in sick so they were very busy. All the waiting staff were very pleasant and apologetic but these things happen and the management should have made sure things were better organised or even explained the problem when we arrived. It really was a great disappointment and a waste of £54.

Just to top it all, I subsequently overheard my mum telling her friend on the phone what a lovely surprise it was but we were completely let down by Tylney Hall. I could have cried.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a very nice place to stay, not the cheapest but you get what you pay for , very nice rooms, food is to a high standard

Reviewed March 11, 2018

We’ve seen some of the recent reviews but personally could not fault the outstanding food and service that we experienced when we visited for dinner on Friday. Under the watchful eye of senior staff the restaurant lived up to the high standards expected and the service was friendly, professional and attentive. Food was delicious and extremely well presented.

Reviewed February 28, 2018

We have been frequenting this restaurant for more than twenty years, and was extremely disappointed for the fourth time in nine months. Service standards appear to be dropping.
I Object to being asked to pay the bill three times, when I had asked for, and already paid it. Seemed total chaos with no organisation in evidence. Our meals were both returned as were stone cold, what is the point of the serving lids. Also used to enjoy having canapés, with pre-dinner drinks whilst browsing the menu, not plonked on the table when seated in the restaurant.
Menu is now limited and not particularly interesting. It is not the serving staffs fault, they were doing the best they can on what seemed an especially quite Friday night, restaurant was probably only half full, does this reflect in the problems.
Only thing I enjoyed was the pianist, the ambiance of the beautiful old building, we will give serious consideration before returning.

Reviewed February 26, 2018

The Oak Room is, as the name suggests, a lovely oak paneled dining room set in the hotel. The menu is limited but adequate for a couple of nights. The wine list is extensive with prices ranging from the mid thirties to over a thousand. The service is attentive without being intrusive. We had duck on the first evening and lamb on the second. Both were very good and perfectly cooked for our taste. The only suggestion I would make is the knives could be sharper because, though the meat was tender, it was hard work to cut it and we had to ask for steak knives. A pity really, as it makes it seem that the meat was tough which it wasn't.