“A gem in the town.”

Castello Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Radstock
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Reviewed 25 January 2017

For far too long have the townsfolk in Radstock have waited for a respectable dining venue; a place where you can either come dressed up, or be equally at ease in casual clothes.

Extensively refurbished from it's former status as a bank, this building has been taken over by an large Sicilian family, who opened their first restaurant in Frome some years previously.

With four fully trained chefs, the food comes out quickly - whether you come as a large party, or just on your own. Indeed, large parties are adequately catered for; on my first visit, there were 3 birthday parties on the go, all being well attended.

That time I was dining alone, on this, was my second visit, I had my wife in tow and indeed, another birthday party was in full swing – it seems the staff, ever attentive, sometimes get involved in the 'Happy Birthday Song'

There are up to 110 covers and because of the low ceilings, when anything over three quarters capacity, it can seem a little noisy. But when the weather is more benign, the outside eating facilities alleviate much of this.

The interior decoration borders on the minimalist, with a very tasteful brick and stacked woodpile effect. Indeed the whole ambience of the place is very agreeable.

The experience on this occasion, matched that of my first visit; shown to our reserved table, our order was taken and promptly served. After a shared portion of hand stretched bread (Aglio) garlic and rosemary, served piping hot, I ordered a dish called Tegamaccio, in the MEDITERRANEAN section of the menu. This was a superb thick tomato and basil sauced dish of mussels, tiger prawns, squid rings, chunks of mullet, and spiced with capers, parsley and garlic. Small portions of baked bread on the side.

My wife chose the Mediterranean Prawns from the PESCE section. These were king prawns sautéed with garlic, white wine, chilli butter and parsley. Again with small portions of baked bread on the side.

We washed all this down with a very satisfactory and well chilled Frascati Fontana Candida. Rounded off with a double Espresso we had change from £60, which we found very reasonable indeed.

They clearly cater also for the lunch time crowd. Special deals between 12 & 15.00.

Certainly worth more than one more visit.

7  Thank Andress3

Reviewed 20 January 2017

The house lasagna and meatballs here are delicious with staff who are always there to help and provide you with a service that will keep you happy. An authentic Italian/Mediterranean experience with food that is cooked from scratch and used the same day, cannot recommend this place enough, a great alternative to the pricier restaurants in Bath and Bristol.

5  Thank 2alex87
Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

We booked this restaurant hardly expecting there to be space for 5 of us,but we had a choice of times.
The meal was absolutely lovely with reasonably sized portions.
The restaurant is of a fair size but the tables are set quite far apart,meaning no intrusive conversation or noise from other tables.
Staff were attentive without being over bearing. All in all an excellent evening.

7  Thank Jayne B
Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

I have been here 3 times during the past 9 months and always with a large family group, six being the smallest number and 13 the largest. The food always comes out together and is hot and of very good quality. I always think a place that can do groups well has a good kitchen.
Vegetarian choices are a little limited but that tends to be the way with Italian restaurants in general. I am not sure if the staff are Italian or Not but they are very welcoming, well organised and especially make a fuss of the children

4  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 17 January 2017

I love this restaurant. The staff are really friendly and attentive. There is a great range of food with pizzas, pasta, fish, meat and Mediterranean dishes. Great choice of starters and desserts. Castellos is great for a quick lunch or a special occasion dinner. I am so glad they chose to open in Radstock. It is popular so always book to make sure of a table.

6  Thank Jill S