Shinjuku Kuyakushomae Capsule Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Siena(Shinjuku)
  • Free Internet
  • Free Internet
All reviewsyour luggagelocker keyone nightalarm clockshoe lockerslight sleeperfemale floorlocker arearemove your shoescoin opprivate showermen and womenfourth floornormal hotelbring earplugsbit hard to findmister donut
Reviewed January 5, 2017

When planning this trip with my son, I figured this would be a perfect time to try out a capsule hotel since we’d be both males and the anything-goes kind of people.

Reservation for three nights via online was easy though but after the experience, it might not have even been necessary at all. (More about that later).

Upon reaching the 3rd floor where the front desk is, you’d be greeted by (not the front desk clerks) loads of luggage. We arrived at about 10am and we were immediately informed that they will not be entertaining check-ins until 4pm. I couldn’t even use their rest room because the entire facility was undergoing “cleaning”. But thankfully, we were allowed to leave our bags (with the rest of the other luggage) while we set out to explore the city.

We got back at about 6pm and the lady in the front desk patiently explained to me the policies of the capsule hotel. She had some challenges in speaking English but I appreciated her efforts in doing so very much. I read in some reviews that the staff where somewhat rude, but I thought otherwise. To me it was just normal.

The plus factors;
1. Location – It’s right smack in the heart of it all. And the train station entrance is just a block away.
2. Very clean bathrooms. They provide you with a towel, a bathrobe & a pair of shorts. It comes with common use shampoo, body wash and facial soap. Although be prepared to take a bath in the company of other men in one big shower area all butt naked. Try not to be culture shocked by it.
3. Each Capsule comes with its own TV though I barely got to watch because it was all in Japanese. It’s pretty warm and cozy after getting under the thick blanket.
4. They have a mess hall complete with vending machines and hot water in the 4th floor.

The downsides;
1. You’d have to check out every morning before 10am and be asked to vacate your capsule & locker. Then when you get back later in the day, you’d have to check in again, be assigned a new locker and capsule. So, it appeared that you don’t really need to reserve after all.
2. This part I liked the least. The lockers & showers are all in the 3rd floor. While our assigned capsule was in the 6th floor. You are not permitted to bring you luggage to the capsule with you (except if you just want to organize or arrange stuff inside it). Its pretty inconvenient to have your bag so far away from you in case you realize there is something in it that you need with you for the night. I did observe that some guests manage to sneak in their luggage to the 6th floor. They probably felt the same way we did.
3. The lockers were also quite small that even a small cabin sized luggage won’t fit in. As a result, you’d see luggage on top of lockers all over. Then it spreads out further to the receptions areas and even on top of the shoe lockers nearby. Luggages were everywhere.
• The locker rooms are so cramped that it makes it difficult to open even just a small luggage, especially with other people around.
• Although I appreciate that they permit guests to leave their luggage behind so they don’t need to haul it with them through the day, it makes the place seem so cluttered & messy.

4. There is a disco a few floors down whose music beat you can still hear in the dead of the night. Too bad the hotel can’t do anything about it.

We tried the capsule hotel for the experience and surely the experience we got. I’m not so sure if all capsule hotels are like this. But if they are, I’ll be more likely looking for a hotel room instead in the future. Will I recommend this place again to my friends …? I’ll just say no comment.

Room Tip: Ask for a capsule in the lower lever.
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2016

This place ticks ALL the boxes. It gets 10 out of 10 from me for Hospitality--- cleanliness---IMMACULATE--- Location-- beside Train Station and Mc Donalds. The extras which are ALL complimentary, include unlimited tea coffee- minerals, towels, pyjamas and EVERYTHING one would need for showering and shaving. Also has a Hot Spring. For $45 this place is SUPERB.

Room Tip: This is a capsule hotel, obviously no views, but you can only admire the cleanliness and the respect shown to everyone who stays here.
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank mullyashfox2
Reviewed December 10, 2016

For around $20USD you get free Wifi (good quality) a clean bed (capsule!) laundry facilities, vending machines, amenities, locker, pajamas, lounges, restaurant.
Your only sacrifice is privacy...so (especially the bath situation) is not for everyone. Also having to check in/out each time to leave, reenter the building is a bit annoying but you do get to be in the middle of the action in shinjuku. I wish the key was a little more modern like other capsule hotels but all in all this is a must experience in Japan, if only for one night.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2016

It is right inside Kabukichō (歌舞伎町). A lot of restaurants and bars. Don Quijote just 驚安の殿堂 just a few step away and they open till super late (my last visit was mid-night).

Girls room are on the top level with an extra locking door. It provided not only a capsule bedroom but a about 60cm tall locker and a share area for storing your luggage. Serval shower rooms and a big make up room are provided at the same floor. Girls no need to go to another floor or be naked in front of anyone. The whole hotel are very quiet. Capsule bedroom is not small at all. You can sit down with your back straight without any problem (I'm 168). There are alarm, power supply, mirror and TV on every bed.

The only problem is, you need to check out every day at 10 AM. And check in again after 4 PM. You can never stay in the same room, mean you need to well pack everything every day. You can't store you bag there anymore after you check out. But there are many very big lockers in Kabukichō or at the station. 100 - 300 yen you can store a whole day. For a very cheap room price (mine is about 2,730 yen per night) like that you can't require too much.

Room Tip: There are 3 other male floors. Only guys have the public bath but not girls. Shoes should be locked at the lobby.
  • Stayed: October 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank bcmag
Reviewed November 4, 2016

This experience in Japan is a must! But is only confortable for one night.

The women section was really clean and confortable, really secure to keep your lugage there but every morning at 10am no matter how many night you will to stay, you must do checkout.

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple