“As calm and professional as every extreme sports training should be”

Just One Breath Freediving
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 25 December 2015

I was lucky to "catch" John for my first freediving training (AIDA 2 star) as he just came back from training camp in Bali. Before I had personal trainers for other sports like gliding and boxing and I must admit that John's approach allowed me to make progress faster then I expected.
Hereby some pluses, I can specify :
+ mentioned calm and proffesional John's approach is in my opinion ideally suited to teach freediving
+ never in the hurry, always gradually increase the levell of the course
+ answers 99% :) of my questions during theoretical part, I did not expected that behind freediving there is such extensive knowledge
+ John was flexible, since I have some congestion in the eustachian tube, that did not allowed me to go deeper on the 3th day, he splited the course to I can prepare better physically; then he gave me some indications how to decongest it
+ he adressed well all my other problems - like gave me additional partial wet-suit (since I felt bit cold), changed my fins etc.
+ he proposed that my wife can attend rescue part of the course, so now when she is around when I dive, she knows what to do in case of emergency
+ he was asking questions for better consolidation of my knowledge.

As a result I was able to reach 20 meters with zero congestion problems, I passed the theory exam with really good result and I made static apnea in the pool for 4:30 minutes !

Some cons :
- the wet suite could be a bit tighter, but I am thin and very tall, so it was difficult to find the proper one
- unfortunatelly I had to leave so I had no time to make next levell (3*) of the course, but I would certainly do it again with John

Reviewed 6 August 2015

When I booked my trip to the Philippines, I knew I was coming for some freedive training. I had researched freediving schools/instructors from Cebu (Mactan), Moalboal, Panglao and other locations as well. I sent e-mails and had several questions up front as coming to the Philippines is quite a journey and I wanted to make sure it went well and fit my schedule as well. Most places replied and answered my questions. John was very thorough in answering my questions - even when it came to coordinating how to get to Panglao, what sort of equipment I would need to bring or not bring, how long the class may take if things go quickly and how long it may take if I need a little more time. I would say up front choosing to train with John was based on this thoroughness and that I would be training with him one to one. I felt most comfortable working with someone one to one and not in a larger group setting.

Once I started training with John, I enjoyed the fact that he is low key and very relaxed. Don't confuse that with not being thorough, the material we covered was extensive and I took notes on my MacBook and had lots of questions - sometimes directly related to the material in the book and sometimes not. Either way, Joh would take time and explain or answer my questions. It flowed. It was not so much like a class as it was a discussion. He did a good job explaining things to me because I got a 107/111 on my written exam. he also informed me that many of his students score about this high (that means John is actually educating the students very well).

In the water, John has access to a great location where he was the one that put in the training buoys. Now that the buoys are there, other instructors are starting to come use this location as well. He has several spots depending on the time of year, but we used the Panglao Kalikasan Dive resort. It is quite remote and so beautiful there. It was nice to dive in such a beautiful location and not be swamped with roaming tourists. Other than one dive group each day from the resort next to us, we had the place to ourselves. There were local fisherman as well.

Our dives were fun and one of the most important things in freediving is being relaxed and calm. I had been freediving for several years (unofficially and only to 8 - 10M while snorkeling). I was planning on reaching the maximum depth allowed in the AIDA Two Star course of 20M (66 feet). When you are new to freediving, you realize when you are in the water, this is a long ways down...lol. In fact the second day when I went to 20.2M, we couldn't even see the bottom marker on the line from the top. We had some pretty good sized waves as a typhoon was passing Taiwan and the waves of storms was passing through. I learned rescue techniques with John and feel comfortable swimming down as a safety for a diver and bringing someone unconscious to the surface and stepping them through rescue procedures in the water.

I highly recommend John. He trains with the best and is even a freediving referee at some of the events here when people try breaking world records. I am confident he can teach you safely and help you relax which makes all the difference in reaching your depth goals in freediving. Thanks John!

Reviewed 2 March 2015

I had full confidence in John to formally conduct our AIDA 1-Star freediving course. He was very thorough in the "classroom" session and breathing practice, as well as answering all our questions, making sure that we understood and remembered the fundamentals for beginners.

In the water, he observed us very well and communicated clearly and constructively until we were able to execute everything properly. His teaching style is comfortable and challenging enough for first-time formal learning.

Freediving with John was safe, absolutely fun, and fulfilling! He's informative and advises well. If you intend to try this activity in Panglao, you'll get a complete experience with JustOneBreath, surely worth the cost. Plus, you'll want to keep on doing it once you get the hang of it!

The duration of the full course was about 1.5 hours lecture, 30 minutes breathing, + 4 hours in the water.

1  Thank Sanndra O
Reviewed 12 January 2015

first thing you need to know about freediving is that, you cant really discribe when you are under the water swimming with the amazing creatures underworld. It excite me alot and spend lots of time in the sea with the long fins (usually use for freediving), mask and snorkle. you will appreciate the peace and calm invironment underwater, I really dont have any idea about freediving before but my teacher introduce this to us with a couple of friends and i didnt expect how happy i am spending time in the ocean with my very calm instructor and long patience. My teacher john taught me alot, and take note, safety first with my teacher (your in good hands). He's been great on the water and if you get a course with him, you really not going to regret it. thats why im a freediving addict now. Longing to get back in the water this year and spend most of my time in the water. If you wanne take a course i highly recommend "just one breath". surely you will get the best.