“disappointing”

US$38.00*
and up
Bohol Panglao Island Tour
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

the first island we visited when we arrived in panglao
i was expecting not to much but kinda ok. but its not ... the shore were very crowded with boats i thought it was a pantalan ( dont know in english ) but yeah dami boats , sayang .....
if u happe to visit panglao.stay away from alona unless ur Accom is at hennan or amorita .

2  Thank Normalyn F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,257)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"vibe"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Bohol is famous for many things ... old churches, the Chocolate Hills, the Loboc River cruise, the tarsier sanctuary, the man-made mahogany forest, etc. One particular area of Bohol that I keep coming back to is Panglao Island, with its long stretch of white sand. crystal clear water, wonderful sunset, very good accommodations and resorts, great bars and restaurants, and so forth. Alona is perhaps the most frequented of all the beaches in Panglao. It's where most of the tourists visiting the island hang around (especially at night). It is also the usual departure area for island hopping.

The place is really lovely and idyllic. One thing I notice, though, the last time I visited this place is that it is becoming more and more commercialized and congested. More and more resorts, bars and restaurants are sprouting out like mushrooms along the beach, and they even get closer and closer to the shore. I fear that this place, sooner or later, would become like Boracay (recently described as a "cesspool" and running the risk of being shut down in a short while). It would be a real pity when that happens since Alona Beach is really beautiful. At any rate, do visit this place if you have time. Highly recommended!

1  Thank CzarEmmanuel
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Well...I spend a lot of my holidays in Bali..since...well ...15 years ! During all my stays..I have never...ever..spent more than 5 minutes in Kuta..It's a huge ugly scar.on the otherwise beautiful island of Bali...Alona is as bad..ugly..soiled by what we have worst in humanity..no respect for mother earth..No respect for our fellow humains..prostitutes and pseudo massage parlours everywhere. The beach is so polluted its impossible to swim..I never go again...so sad ! Heaven only knows how awful it will become in the future when the new airport on Bohol opens..

3  Thank mitchfrance
Reviewed 3 April 2018

The beach is very short (approx. 1 km ) and very, very narrow. Restaurants, shops and diving centers are constructed almost on the beach. Very messy. The place is full with asiatic tourists, mainly Korean. They are building a new international airport on the Island so things will not get better I presume. The whole place was a big disappointment for us.

2  Thank cstuurman
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Alona Beach can be beautiful, but there is just too much going on making it unpleasant to the senses. I couldn't even finish a book because I kept getting approached by tour guides and merchants. They are nice people, but it's definitely not a place to relax and contemplate--there is too much distraction. The water is a beautiful aquamarine, but there are too many speedboats near or by the shore that you might have to excuse yourself if you wish to swim.

There are restaurants by the beach and this has its own pros and cons. It was nice to dine while enjoying the view and the breeze (or lack thereof), but these establishments make the beach touristy and noisy.

It's best to go here early morning when there's less the crowd. The afternoon scene can be a bit overwhelming making you wish you were back in your hotel room.

For travelers--and I mean people who really want to experience the culture, be with the locals, and eat their food--this place is not for you. The only locals there were shop and restaurant workers, everyone else is foreign. There's a long strip of restaurants along Alona Beach Road, but I have never seen a single Filipino restaurant. I saw one but it turns out it is a fusion with other Asian cuisines. Most of the restaurants here serve Western or Asian food, but there was none that serves a purely Filipino dish only. I found one that serves adobo (by request of a British friend), but their menu is a mix of everything else.

Alona Beach made me ask myself: Is this the kind of tourism we can offer? We give them the beautiful scenery, but we skip the cultural experience?

4  Thank Addie98