“Robbie ”
Review of Dobbies

Dobbies
Ranked #19 of 21 Restaurants in Penkridge
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Booked deluxe afternoon tea for my mum and myself( we are trying to eat afternoon tea in as many places in Staffordshire as possible)
Sandwiches made with fantastic fresh bread and our choice of 3 fillings ( not sure why garnished with baby spinach but this did not in anyway spoil the sandwiches )
We chose chicken egg and ham with mixture of white and brown bread, all of which were delicious ( I personally would cut off crusts for afternoon tea but I was capable of doing this myself ) the cake selection was yummy. The cakes were garnished beautifully ,the Cheesecake was scrumptious scones nice and fresh had to take other cakes home with us as so full of lovely food
We paid for deluxe one which included crisps and vol au vents but due to a big party coming in later they had run out of crisps and not got the coronation chicken ready so sent out two pastry vol au vents filled with chopped mushroom and 2 pastry vol au vents filled with cream cheese (which were very bland and cloying ) when questioned they did say they were just making the coronation chicken and if we didn't mind waiting they would make us fresh ones and would try to find us some crisps however in fairness due to the fact the rest was so nice we declined
The coffee and tea was good and the staff were very good and attentive.
My advice is fantastic afternoon tea well worth having and we will be going again, but don't have the deluxe one as it's not worth the extra money for 4 small vol au vents ( that's the only reason of 4stars not 5)

Reviewed 18 March 2018

We visited here a couple of months ago and had such a nice afternoon tea that we re-booked to come again, but we weren't so happy this time. The menu has changed, but sadly not for the better. On our first visit we had a choice of beautiful sandwich fillings, which were really tasty and served with no crusts cut into fingers. This time the sandwiches were quite ordinary, egg, plain cucumber, tinned ham (?) and cut into rough triangles with the crusts still on. I know that this does not affect the taste of the food, but presentation, especially of an afternoon tea is quite important. On our first visit we were offered speciality coffees such as cappuccino or latte etc, this time it was filter coffee and a pot of milk. The range of cakes had also been changed, not for the better, they were quite 'samey' and a bit bland. The scones were nice and the brownies were OK, but maybe something more special was missing... Overall the tea still represented good value for money, although I believe we did get a discount when we booked, but it seems quite obvious that the menu changes have been made to represent cost-cutting for the restaurant and not improvements to the experience for the customers.

2  Thank KaffrinMary L
Reviewed 18 December 2017

Took our two grandsons to breakfast with santa....absolutely fantastic , exceeded expectations. Great breakfast, lovely waitress with amazing customer service skills, brilliant santa. Nothing was too much trouble, staff were attentive, kind, thoughtful . We had one to one service , absolutely brilliant! Our boys were treated like princes. The food wad lovely. The santa experience was sublime I can't rate it any higher than 10 out of 10
Diane and Martin Wallace

1  Thank martin w
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Dobbies cafe does fantastic scones, they have plain, fruit and cheese when a lot of cafes only have fruit, unfortunately the clotted cream pots are very small so you may want to grab two or three. It was quite late when we went and every table needed clearing! We chose a table for two and cleared it ourselves, not really sure if this was a one off or if the staff are badly managed. The dirty tables are the reason this is a four and not a five.

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

Having decided to try their restaurant, I was very disppointed!!! There was only one member of staff on the tills with a queue forming and holding a tray with was heavy and uncomfortable and to top it off had to wait 35mins for a sandwich and toastie, which in the mean time we had drank our tea. I did complain and were told they'd a rush of customers who wanted sandwiches, so I asked if we could have a fresh cup of tea in which the manager didn't hesitate to give us. I think they need more staff making the sandwiches which there was only one person and two people on the tills at all times and sort out a better system. But apart from that the staff were nice and friendly. "But don't think I will be visiting again anytime soon"

1  Thank Jayne S