Shimahana
  • Pool
US$297
US$92
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$130/night.

US$420
US$153
Kaigetsukan(Sumoto)
US$273
US$181
  • Pool
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$252/night.

US$247
Hanagoyomi(Sumoto)
US$476
US$417
Amahara(Sumoto)
US$412
US$381
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$474/night.

All reviewsrelaxing hotelbathsguestsonsenview
Reviewed 7 January 2017

One of the most relaxing hotels that I have visited in Japan. The hotel is located on a strip of land with a majestic view of the ocean. It also has a small onsen on the top floor of the hotel which has a nice view of the ocean as well. As for the room, it is quite large and has very comfortable beds. It also has a balcony to view the sites. The only inconvenience was that they only gave one room key which made it inconvenient for one person to leave since the room needs a key for the electricity. As for foreigners, the staffs' English is not the best, however they tried extremely hard to accommodate me so I have no problems with that at all. Overall, an excellent hotel to relax and enjoy a relaxing vacation at Awaji!

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2015

I stayed here to go to my mother's 1 year anniversary (after her passing) with my husband. We usually stay at Westin but it is too far away from Sumoto and we decided to give a try here. We loved it! Our room was very nice, bed was comfortable and the lounge on the 6th floor was so relaxing. I love the bath! It is little remote from the center of the Sumoto city so, I highly recommend the breakfast buffet. I usually don't choose breakfast buffet in any hotel, but this one was really nice. Fresh milk from Awaji (you just have to try), and fresh rice from Awaji (awaji mai) and all are just wonderful. Don't forget to relax in the lounge on the 6th floor. The staff were just warm and wonderful (just typical of people in Awaji) and we just loved our stay. I will def. stay here again and agin.

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank okanlove
Reviewed 26 April 2015

Stayed 3 nights and enjoyed the views, food, and onsen experience ("Japanese baths").

This property is run by a group ("New Awagi") responsible for a number of neighboring hotels who offer shared services between the hotels. The properties are separated by a small harbor and a shuttle boat and bus are available for your convenience. The bus can even be scheduled to take you to the nearby town of Sumoto if needed.

Evening meals offered include a prix fixe fusion "kaiseki-style" dinner with fresh sashimi and local vegetables, as well as a grill dinner complete with a "hibachi-style" wood-fired stove. Both of our dinners were tastefully presented and delicious.

The jewel experience is onsen - the set of properties offers multiple choices. Just be sure you read up on how to participate so that you don't draw the wrath of your fellow Japanese bathers.

The rooms are well-maintained and clean. Each room has a safe to lock up your valuables while you participate in the property's activities.

Free wifi is offered although there may be some issues with signal strength the farther you are away from the ground floor lobby.

Room Tip: You'll want to select a "harbor-side" room if available for the best views - sometimes, you'll see eagles catch fish from the ocean!
  • Stayed: April 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in Shimahana hotel in September. This review is so late because I have been trying to get an apology/response from the hotel management but this has not been acknowledged.

My boyfriend and I have lived in Japan for over a year and can speak a fairly decent level of Japanese. Despite this, we received a hugely biased and racist level of customer service from some staff members.

Yes, the hotel room was beautiful and the onsen looking over the sea was great, but it was completely not worth the expense considering my holiday ended with the receptionist making me cry in the public lobby, due to his lack of compasion and hideous service. For example, when we wanted to be served, the receptionist just threw his hand up at us and pulled a stern face - an action similar that people usually use when communicating with their dogs. Yet, the following Japanese customers he was happy to serve with a smile.

When we emailed the hotel about our experience , they would not acknowledge this at all. They stated they DO NOT have racist staff, and it was our problem for not understanding about Japanese food and culture. Clearly we do, and we usually experience fantastic customer service in Japan as the customer is always respected. It was an ignorant response from managment that are not able to accept their flaws and critisms.

It's such a sad reflection of Japan when situations like this happen.

• Stayed: September 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank tash k
Reviewed 7 December 2014

It's located in the tip of Sumoto (1.5-2 hrs drove from Kobe. South to Awaji), the hotel is not the closet to the city but also because of its location, tranquilly is much guaranteed.

Sumoto is famous for onsens, on 6/F of the hotel it got an onsen with perfect harbour view. Our room is also on the 6th, a private outdoor jacuzzi is offered! It has 2 big balconies, big TV, comfy mattress, aroma diffuser, coffee machine and even face masks! Spa, massage chairs and kids area are available on respective floors.

We had 'half board' (means breakfast and dinner included) and both are delicately served!

For non Japanese speakers it might be a bit hard to communicate but the staff is SUPER friendly and nice and is making every effort to get the message across!

Wifi reception is OK public areas but not in the room though.

• Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple