All reviews the owner tea ceremony family run ryokan kaiseki dinner train station kinosaki onsen tempura ensuite toilet take pictures family business cherry blossoms owner's mother rock cave traditional ryokan style a free shuttle bus warm hospitality short stay
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Highly recommend spending one night at this top notch Ryokan! The experience was like none other we had in Japan, nor Kinosaki-Onsen. The owner and his family provide such a beautiful, personal touch and take such pride in their Ryokan. If you're coming to Kinosaki-Onsen, this place is a must!

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 20 May 2018

We booked a one night stay in Morizuya after reading the reviews, however sadly we were disappointed with the overall experience.

On arrival we were greated warmly by the owner and he took us to his mother's house a short walk away where she served us matcha and showed us how it drink it correctly. She was very nice and my wife (who is fluent in Japanese) had a nice chat with her. After we were taken back to the ryokan and checked in. After check in our (Chinese) room attended helped my wife pick out a colourful yukata and tooked down our preferred times for dinner and breakfast. We then took the opportunity to grab a late lunch and explore a bit of the town before dinner.

We had asked dinner to be served at 6:30pm and we arrived backed at our room at 6:15pm hoping to change into our yukatas for dinner. However we were informed by our room attendent that there was no time and she needed to serve dinner. We were very surprised by this as Japanese service is normally very punctual and accomodating to guests. Even if we had been late (which we weren't) they normally would have allowed us time to get changed.

The food served at dinner compared to the food we had eaten in other esablishments in Kinosaki Osen and other ryokans in Japan was average. The cooked crab was very tastless and we suspected it had been cooked, frozen and thawed again. The other dishes were ok but not outstanding. The worst part of the meal was the service. After insisting that we start dinner 10 minutes before our scheduled time, we felt the room attendent rushed the service. Courses were bought in presented before we had time to properly finished the previous course. We were so rushed to eat the food that we had no time to savour the flavour! A normal kaiseki would last between 1.5 to 2 hours. In rush it could be done in about an hour, but tis meal lasted about 45 to 50 minutes! Perhaps our room attendent had to get home early? In any case this is not something you would expect in a ryokan keiseki, no matter how cheap or expensive.

The bedding provided was also not up to the mark. Ryokan futons are meant to be soft and pillowy and give you a sense of sleeping on clouds. The "futons" in this case was two thing foam mattresses that did not provide adequate cushioning, especially when sleeping on one's side.

Breakfast was actually quite tasty, however once again the service was up to scratch. The room attendent (different from dinner) spoke Japanese with such a strong chinese accent that at time my wife could not understand her and me with my untrained ear thought she was speaking Chinese.

After breakfast, we had time to change into our yukatas and the owner kindly gave his time to take some picture for us along the river. At checkout we took some pictures with the owner's mother who came down to send off the guests.

Perhaps the owner is trying to keep costs down by hiring chinese staff, but they are letting him down with their below average customer service. The staff did not use "keigo" and the many subtlties of good Japanese ryokan service were missing. If the owner inists on getting foreign staff, then at least they should be trained properly.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank AusDavidBZ
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

I’d never stayed in a ryokan before and this was an amazing first experience! Getting off at Kinosaki station, you can catch a free shuttle bus to get to the ryokan, which was nice as we didn’t have to drag our luggage there. The place itself is located in the centre of everything, walking distance to all 7 public bathhouses in Kinosaki. On arrival, the owner greeted us warmly and ushered us next door to have a private tea ceremony performed by his mother. We were then led to our rooms and I was given a yukata to wear for the duration of my stay. The room is very big, especially by Japanese standards, and we had a lovely view of the city below. The Kaiseki dinner was outstanding, we got snow crab, tajima beef, shabu shabu, sashimi, tempura...it was course after course of deliciousness! The ryokan also have its own little onsens, an outdoor one and a indoor rock cave one. The following morning, the owner drove us back to the station and took photos of us and his family which was sweet of them. I have to say the service here was 10/10, they were all very friendly and we didn’t need to lift a finger to do a thing. Would stay for longer the next time we head back to Kinosaki.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

If you're after a hit of r and r I'm a traditional Japanese setting then I'd highly recommend Morizuya. Every little detail was considered and cared for in this seventh generation family ryokan. To kick things off they give you a yukata so you can try all 7 public onsens I'm town with your free pass they give you. If youd like a bit of time with a loved one in a private onsen they can also work it out for you. When you're onsened out they offer a superb traditional Japanese meal that is unbelievably good. Honestly if you have the chance, splurge a bit and get the dinner and breakfast. In terms of amenities, the rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. They were everything we imagined in a traditional ryokan. Lastly, the service was second to none. Every little whim was cared for by the staff and the manager went out of his way to make sure we had the best time. Even suggesting great photo ops and being our photographer. Seriously world class town and experience, would highly recommend.

Date of stay: March 2018
2  Thank Joseph F
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my partner, and I wish I could’ve stayed longer! The Kaiseki dinner was deliciously amazing, I was so full after I could barely move. Breakfast was also good, ate so much I couldn’t even finish my dessert. The dinner alone back in Australia would’ve cost at least $80/head so with dinner and breakfast included what we paid for 1 night was an absolute steal!

The staff/owners were delightful and helpful, the ryokan has been in the family for 7 generations! I love a good family business.

Date of stay: March 2018