All reviews family mart great location next morning caves japan town experience baths
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

You get what you paid for and even much more! This is my very first review ever on trip advisor. And that's purely because this host is amazing (!!) and his ryokan is truly honest and easy.
Very basic but all you need. Great location and spacious rooms. Fresh and fun coffee or tea on your arrival with a detailed explanation of how things work in this town. Walking about town in your morning/day gown and using the baths even in the morning (one just next door) is easy and relaxing.

The private tour by the ever so sweet and excited and helpful host the next morning is the cherry on the top. It's free of charge. He just really enjoys showing you the place he grew up in.

Thumbs up for this one, if you can enjoy a simple accommodation with Charme and an excited yet very sweet and easy host!

Stayed: May 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Knotterjan
Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

The host made us feel very welcome and the ryokan has a home feeling. The host goes above and beyond to make you have a great stay. He even took us with his car on a tour to see the sea and awesome caves.

One month in Japan and this was our favourite spot.

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Koyep
Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely stay in this Ryokan Micki is a fine host -tea coffee tours etc
He took us on his tour to the Japan sea and all was well, indeed a lovely morning of scenery and fine music .
Tthe ryokan is traditional and warm
We found it comfortable and everything we needed was close by -breakfast could be found at the family mart opposite and Micki suggested a great restaurant that we ate at twice
Altogether our favorite 2 days in Japan -Onsens great food and small interesting town.highly recommended

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

I had ten days in Japan and ummed and ahhed about coming to Kinosaki. I'm so glad I did. It's amazing, if you don't like getting naked with strangers of the same sex or fish it's probably not for you though. Note though that you have from toddlers to 80 year olds going so really nothing to be shy about.

So Asagoya Ryoken - my ratings have gone from 3 to 5 stars.

Didn't start brilliantly as I arrived at just before 1pm on the train from Kyoto and there was no-one at the hotel. I rang and rang the doorbell and after 20 minutes the owner came rushing down apologising that he was upstairs cleaning. No harm done but probably worth emailing him your arrival time so no mistakes again. He made me fresh proper coffee and was very very apologetic.

It's a great location and obviously good value for money.

The room was large and simple - this is a much cheaper comparatively place to stay in Kinosaki so what I expected for the cost. I didn't like not having a sheet under (only simple mattress protector below) or above me between me and the blanket so used my own sleeping bag liner. This might be fine for others though.

The owner carefully explained all the onsens - my tip would be to head for the outside ones, they are seriously hot!

He also recommended a good restaurant that evening and when I couldn't find it walked me to it (it was closed) and then another.

The owner, like other reviewers, offered me a trip the next morning after more onsen time up the coast to see Todo Cave and lots of the lovely scenery. This was wonderful and you should take him up on this. This was an amazing thing to do for free and took over an hour of his time. He even bought me a drink en route.

When back at Kinosaki he offered me a lift to the station (just 3 minutes so I declined), and then came dashing to find me after I left with a pair of trainers he thought I'd left.

Genuinely stand out customer service.

Stayed: October 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2016 via mobile

Great accommodation, clean and tidy. 5 mins walk from the station. The boss is very friendly and welcoming.

Upon arrival, he brewed a pot of coffee for us. Making us feel very welcomed in the hotel.

On the day of departure, when he knew that our train is in the afternoon, he allowed us to stay longer as he only has one check in on that day.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled with friends