All reviewsthank you very muchstephikingenglishclubonsendinner
Reviewed 30 December 2017

We booked a room from Dec 19 for 3 nights. We contacted the owner of the property in Nov. to ask for a vegetarian breakfast. This was the response from the property below.

*********
Your message:
“We would like a vegetarian breakfast please.”

“Dear ******* Thank you very much for reservation at Resort Kumano Club, I am very sorry for delayed reply. How many people need vegetarian food? Which food would you like to remove from the meal? Every animal food? Meat? Fish? Milk? Egg? Right now, because it is a peak season, I am very sorry but we are not able to Arrange the menu except for food allergy. The breakfast is Japanese food, so it contains grilled fish and omelet. Is it impossible to accept the menu? Sincerely,
************

We have stayed a lot of different properties. This was the only one to refuse to offer us vegetarian breakfast. It was shocked to say that they were too busy to make vegetarian breakfast. They did ask us to tell them what food we did not eat, but then they said they can only deal with food allergies, not vegetarians. I guess the owner of the property did not understand different people have different diets. They had no clue what a vegetarian is. So we did not write to them because we thought, we could just tell them about the breakfast when we checked in. The date came. We requested the veg breakfast again at the reception. All they said we did not reply their email, so we could not have vegetarian breakfast. We said to them that not to give fish to my husband, just give him salad and Japanese beans. It would be fine. I could not believe that they refused our request. That was the first time we have experienced an owner of a property refusing a vegetarian.

The world is changing. Hotels need to realise that international travelers have different dietary needs and customs. Hotels that want to succeed in this new environment will have to show more flexibility.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

We arrived close to 6pm in the dark and could not find the road up to the hotel - only the car park. Walking across the bridge and through the dimly lit garden, we arrived at the lobby only to realize that an email had been sent to ask us that afternoon to call from the carpark for the hotel shuttle. As we were on the road and did not have access to email, we were unable to read it, so it would have been better if the email had been sent ahead of time.
However, once we had checked in, the room was very large and comfortable. The onsen was large but the water is not the best. Dinner was delicious but it would have been better if they were able to explain the dishes in English. All in all, it was a comfortable Japanese experience.

Stayed: December 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Me and my wife was stayed there and we wanted stay more but hotel was fully booked me and my wife super happy there and was very comfortable hotel! Staff was amazing and very professional. Thank you very much for all your efforts (^_^) hope to see you soon ! Arigatto origotto :)

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I was driving for 3 hours plus from Nagoya and am looking forward to a comfortable stay but the distance and journey to this place doesn't look promising. Even when we arrived - the place look... too sparse and deserted to be hospitable. From the carpark (10 minutes walk out from the reception area), we had to mount an uphill journey to locate the checkin area. The front desk staff was a friendly elderly guy. The moment he walked us to our room, my opinion changed. Our room is overlooks the picturesque mountain bed with housing sprawling at the bottom of the hill. The flooring is tatami-matted and our mattresses are firmly cushioned. Very specious room and clean - this being my first stay in a Ryokan style residence I am very satisfied. Definitely 4.5 star from me!

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OG76_SP
Reviewed 24 January 2016

Nice fashionable rooms overlooking the valley. Good restaurant. The hot spring is not the best. It's a short walk from the rooms so you can stroll down the hill or order a shuttle. Great location for relaxing in Japan's countryside. The hotel also organizes walking tours on the historic Kumano Kaido trails through the nearby mountains including transport to the starting and pick up point.

Stayed: March 2015