“Beware of Price Gouging”
Review of Cape Air

Reviewed 11 October 2018

I had an expensive experience with Cape Air. In early June I booked roundtrip Boston--Martha's Vineyard flights for my wife and myself for mid-September. So, this was a 3 1/2 month advance booking. I was charged $1,195.98! The evening before the trip as I was getting things together it struck me that the fare was unreasonably out of line. So, I went on Cape Air's website and checked the fare for exactly the same flights, same days, same times for two people and the fare came up at $407.26! I figured it was just a mistake that I could straighten out when back home. Not so. The customer service rep explained that they and other airlines charge more for later bookings than for earlier ones. Duh. Mine was earlier--a lot earlier. Then it was explained that a the $407.26 was for each of the four segments flown...until she checked and their records did indeed indicate the $407.26 was the total for all four segments. Long story short, Cape Air doesn't have a set pricing policy. In essence, they charge whatever they think they can get! And no, there would be no adjustment. They did offer two free r/t tickets, but they are useless for us--given their unusual and limited routes as well as the fact the Vineyard trip was a one timer. So, my advice to my fellow travelers is this. Don't fly Cape Air if you don't have to. If you must, go ahead and book it. But then check back to see if your flights are later offered at a lower price. If they are, cancel the earlier ones and rebook.

Date of travel: September 2018
Write a reviewReviews (310)

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Small make that tiny plane and it was fantastic pilot was a pro the view incredible smooth flight to St. Louis

Reviewed 4 October 2018

This is a small airline flying short routes in the Midwest and several other areas. They originated on the east coast USA. The planes are about 8 passengers so baggage and space are limited. We used this airline to go for a long weekend to celebrate a friends birthday. It was economical and only in the air for short periods. The Captain’s were very friendly and seemed very skilled. I would definitely use them again for short excursions!

Date of travel: July 2018
2  Thank Midwestern1953
Reviewed 29 September 2018

ORD to Decatur is easy as pie. The airplane is small but the crew is professional and friendly. The TSA screening in Decatur is more aggressive than flying to Israel. At this tiny airport the number of screening agents far outnumbered the passengers. Go figure?

1  Thank Terry B
Reviewed 27 September 2018

This was my first flight on Cape Air. It's a small airline that specializes in short trips in small planes. I was very satisfied with the ground crew and with the pilot and copilot. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service
    • Legroom
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.