“The staff are the only good thing about this airline.”
Review of British Airways

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We flew to the old airport in Muscat from NCL via LHR.
When I went to check that my flight was still leaving on time, or at all, the weather in the UK being the problem, there was a message on the website saying that I needed to get a visa prior to travel.
That was news to me as when I had checked at time of booking (and a little later on too) there was no mention of this. It was still the same procedure - get a visa on arrival.
I checked with the visa central website as directed and it said that I had to contact the airline.
I did this, despite the fact that it took so long to get through due to the travel disruption because of the snow (never have I seen so little snow create so much havoc! - get a grip Heathrow).
They couldnt help me and said that I had to contact the embassy - on a Sunday - right.
Anyway, eventually contacted the ground handling agent, Swissport, and Newcastle airpmrt instead. They were able to confirm that the visa issue would not be a problem as we were landing the day before the new airport opened, and therefore the day before the new regulations came into force.
Thank goodness for them. The British Airways call centre was worse than useless. I have no idea why they couldnt have answered the question as simply as the ground handling agent did. This airline is becoming less of a flagship, and more of an embarassment to the economy.
Our flights were delayed although we did manage to catch our connection and the crew on board the NCL flight to LHR were very proactive with some of the passengers who were less lucky.
Our flight to Muscat was delayed on the ground, and despite there being such a small number of crew on board, they were excellent, brought us round some refreshments to keep us going while we waited in a very long queue for the single de-icer rig. NCL have more snow and ice clearing facilities than LHR it seems. Bearing in mind that BA is the main user at the airport, it would seem beyond their capabilities to insist that the airport authorities have more facilities for just such an occasion as the 1mm of snow that had fallen in the surrounding area!

The service on board was excellent and the crew were very accomodating. However, the food was probably the worst offering I have had in years of travelling with many different airlines. It was dreadful. If BA continue to serve up the same dreadful meals on long haul flights, then I shall be taking my custom elsewhere. After all the food and beverages are paid for as part of the ticket price.

The inflight entertainment needs an overhaul too. It is very limited and quite a few of the headset plugs werent working.

The blankets provided were very obviously dirty and hadn't been laundered in a while which is disgracefully sloppy.

The staff are the only thing that is keeping this airline from going under completely. The rest of the service from it needs a serious rethink. I am travelling with the airline from LHR to Hong Kong in June. This is the last chance saloon for them. If there is no improvement then I shall take my business elsewhere.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (35,585)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Having travelled the world (and to Kenya several times before,) I was pleasantly surprised to find BA the cheapest option on the day I booked my flight. We took off roughly as scheduled, once we were at cruising altitude the cabin crew started serving food, etc. At no point were we offered disposable wet wipes beforehand, which seems to be standard with most reputable airlines. I tried to access the in-flight entertainment system once the first meal had been cleared away, to no avail. The head stewardess announced over the tannoy system that "we were experiencing technical issues" with it, and it would be "up and running shortly." It never was. To summarise, a very disappointing experience, and will in future trips be travelling with the flagship airline of my destination country.

1  Thank Supeter
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Comfortable flight dissapointed having to pay for coffee etc on a flight that wasn’t cheap would use a discount carrier next time. Being disabled very good boarding the aircraft staff were brilliant both ends of journey.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Adding 'sir' at the end of every barking does not make an interaction polite or enjoyable. We will here comment only on the check-in process, from printing a boarding card.

The machines were out of action, for no announced reason. When passengers are summoned to join the queue by the local cockney-taking little boss, things started badly, as I could not even decipher what language this was supposed to be.

The baggage pick-up place was manned by somebody disguised as an old witch and perfectly playing the same role. When looking at the check-in screen, the staff turned it out, meaning that the mere pax should not look at what belongs to the noble and glorious staff member. Arrogance did not go away until throwing the boarding card and passport on the desk.

Every time flying with this cattle carrier, we are reminded that the once 'favourite airline of the world' is now nothing more than a low-cost outlet. A 15-people full-time team is always busy commenting on social networks about the wonders of the glorious airline and twist perceptions.

3  Thank 127Fred
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I have heard and read mixed reports about BA's long-haul business class. That way well-prepared, I was ready to pay an extra EUR 114,-- to get a (rear-facing) window seat for my flight from LHR to HKG.
The seat I paid for (53A) is not just a window seat, it is one of the few window seats on the A380 that gives you direct aisle access without having to step over somebody else's feet. Furthermore, you have three boxes at your disposal to store your personal belongings.
As for the service, on this flight it was mediocre, whereas on my return flight from HKG to LHR it was excellent. I take this as yet just another proof of the importance of the composition of an aircraft crew.
The food was good, but nothing of a big thrill. However, the wine selection was fine.

All in all, if you are ready to pay for those few really good seats, BA is a good choice. However, a 2-4-2 (lower deck) an 2-3-2 (upper deck) configuration in business class is certainly something that should be thought over for the next re-launch.