“Worst scam of the day”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The likeliness I will recommend is actually a ZERO!!! I fly A LOT. The check bag policy on American Air is deceiving and difficult to locate through their app. The weight limits are low and their “overweight” fees are high ($100/bag over 50lbs). Additionally, I could not book a seat without paying extra. I was told a seat would be assigned to me. Finally, in a time where people are being advised to “social distance” and stay 6 feet away from each other, American Air seems to think that “shoe-horning” every inch of capacity is a good idea, filling every seat.

I was traveling for business, and the usual airline I use did not have a last-minute available seat so I shifted to American Air. I fly over 350K miles annually with well over 130 flight legs per year. I will NEVER FLY AMERICAN AIR AGAIN.

I caution anyone looking to book a flight... use any other carrier, just avoid American.

Date of travel: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (71,905)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I have never been so frustrated in my entire life! This is my first bad review I have ever written and I’m 36 years old. I’m the most patient/kindest person you will ever meet but today was so emotional for me! It started in Montego Bay Airport. We arrived 2 hours before our flight that was headed to Dallas. We received notice of a delay due to mechanical problems and our flight moved from 10:45am to 2:00pm. Then to 3:45pm. We got in line to see what our options were because we were also told this flight could be postponed until late and we needed to get back home to our kids plus my husband has to work the next day! It was also my sons birthday and his party the next day so we needed to make it home! After waiting 2 hours in the slowest, longest line ever, we were told that others would be boarding that gate soon for the next flight and we needed to move to another gate. Everyone started running and people at the very end of that line were able to make it to the front of the line! After hours of waiting to change our flights, this was very upsetting! People way behind us were now in front of us and we were pushed back even farther! So again after waiting at this new gate line for another hour and 20 minutes, we were moved AGAIN! So that another flight could be ready for boarding! So now we have waited over 3 hours and now are running to another gate! This time we were 4th in line and also found out that the flight to Dallas is now moving from 3:45pm to 6:00pm but not confirmed for that time either for departure and our connecting flight will now be changed to the next day making us stay in Dallas! So now after 30 minutes at this 3rd gate line, I finally get waited on after issues with computers being down! (I didn’t think this day could get any worse)! A gentleman helped me name Orland. He was frustrated and rude when he got to me and told me i should wait for the Dallas flight and stay there overnight. I explained we would rather leave sooner and see what else we could do to get to our final destination of Nashville. He said our only option was to leave on the Miami flight at 5:30pm and we would stay the night there and leave the next day to Nashville later than what Dallas would be. He was so rude and unapologetic for the situation and said there was nothing else available although he didn’t take the time to check, we were dismissed quickly. As were others that he waited on. Several people complaining! Frustrated, I took my tickets back and walked away. As we were looking for somewhere to charge our phones, we seen another American Airlines gate and a lady behind the desk with no one in line. We decided to ask her to see if she would be able to help us! Her name was Gracian! She politely said she would look and within literally 2 minutes said you can leave on a Miami flight and get to Nashville. I said oh the one where we would arrive at 7:45pm the next day? And she said no, you will arrive to your final destination tonight! My eyes teared up and I couldn’t believe after everything we’d been through, all the hours of waiting, this sweet wonderful, kind girl found us a flight that quickly bc she took the time to help us! She was the ONLY good thing about Montego Bay Airport with American Airlines! So she set us up to leave at 5:30pm! Finally, after being at this airport since 8:30am! I called my son to tell him the happy news and our sitter! Then the delays start coming through in my email! Delayed until 5:45pm, delayed until 6:20pm until finally they say 7:02pm departing! My stomach was literately sick! We would now arrive in Miami which is an hour ahead at 9:30pm! Our connecting flight was 10:30pm! We still tried to be positive! As soon as we landed, my husband and I as well as 7 other passengers for this flight took off running! Rushed through customs, ran up and down stairs, down the long hallways all the way to the bagging area to get our checked bag. We made it there at 9:50pm. At this point we are all dripping sweat and of course out of breath with masks on trying to get to this flight! It look 13 more minutes before the bags started to show! Grabbing ours at 10:10pm we took off running again to the gate! We made it at 10:18pm!! 10:18!!! And were told Sorry, too late! I could have fell to the floor sobbing. I could barely catch my breath! So you mean to tell me after we waited ALL DAY! Delay after delay, gate line to gate line, HOURS STANDING WAITING! This flight couldn’t wait just 10 minutes for 8 passengers that have went through hell to let us board on a plane that was scheduled to leave at 10:30pm! It was 10:18pm!! This was so devastating! Then we are given a voucher for the hotel and told to wait outside for the shuttle to pick us up to take us to the hotel American Airlines Chose for us! After waiting outside for I don’t even know how long, exhausted and defeated, we ask another hotel shuttle if we were standing in the right spot for ours and was told that hotel doesn’t have a shuttle! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! My husband goes back in and is told how sorry they are and we now have to pay for taxi! The taxi ride was $57.22 to the hotel they chose for us and we have to pay for a taxi again to get back to the airport in the morning! So now we are out $114.00 so basically we are now paying for a hotel! It’s now 11:45pm and we have just now made it to our room! We left Sandals Ochi resort at 6:45am to head to Montego Bay Airport! It was a 2 hour drive from there! We have been up
since 4:50am! And now finally laying at 1:25am! This Airline just ruined our perfect vacation! I will never forget how they made us feel today! Like we weren’t important at all! And now we are dreading tomorrow getting back on this Airline to try and make it home. We have a 2 hour drive from Nashville to get home to Kentucky. I pray for no delays tomorrow, I truly don’t think I can take anymore at this point and I will have a devastated little boy if his birthday party is cancelled!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

American Airlines was an epic fail from start to finish of our planned vacation. You name it from sending us out on a flight without enough foresight to cxl because the connecting flight had been cxled. Overbooked flights, not putting us up in a hotel and losing our luggage. If not for the attendants behind the counters I would give the worst rating possible. We heard worse or just as bad stories from other passengers . Whatever is going on with them I would not trust them to fly you in the air if they are this mismanaged.
DO NOT TRUST AA TO TAKE CARE OF YOU

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I had a flight leaving Thursday night with my dog because she was getting rehomed. They told us to get there 2 hours early to check in. We did our paperwork and went to inspect the kennel, one lady said it was too small for our dog while the person taking the cargo approved it and said it was ok. Ultimately they said no to crate and we asked if we could run to Walmart 10 minutes away to grab a new one, they said no you won’t make it back in time we’re closing. We were upset because we were rehoming our dog but it was okay since we could spend 2 more nights with her. Saturday rolls around and this time she gets onto the flight. They say to give food and water and they’ll clean out the kennel on the connecting flight. When she arrived at her destination her kennel was full of pee and poop and her water hasnt been open or given to her. Never fly your pets with American.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

When I say HORRIBLE, I mean just HORRIBLE!!!! Customer service. With a line of 10 people trying board before flight takes off they took their sweet time with people who were there like 20 min before us. They made us lose our flight and then made it seem like it was our fault after standing there 45 minutes . They took NO ACCOUNTABILITY. They showed no empathy! Horrible. Never again.

Date of travel: April 2021
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.