By mistake I bought basic economy tickets and will admit I should not have done that. I have a flight in April, they are calling for 8-12 inches of snow on the date of my flight (as of 3 days before). I called to change my flight and they want a $200 fee per ticket to chance it. I can buy new flights for less then that.
To wave the fee I have to wait until the day before at the earliest, that would be fine if it was just be but I am traveling with 2 young children and would need 3 seats together. What is the likelihood on a new flight at the last minute.
If anything I am trying to help American Airlines out and proactively change my flight before they have to, but apparently that does not matter to them.
Will not fly American again regardless of price. You get what you pay for.