“very good”
Review of Aer Lingus

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I flew with Aer Lingus and it was fine, it was very nice, but in some places it was not very well cleaned, but it was good and that's why I give Aer Lingus 4 stars

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank Dorota M

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I recently flew home from Santiago de Compostela on May 20th, flight EI743. As the flight was 30 minutes delayed taking off I realised that I might miss my connecting bus to the west of Ireland and would have to wait for two hours for the next one. I asked the airline hostess Sarah -Jane ( from Clare ) what time we might land. She calculated that it would be a tight affair . However she returned to offer me a place up front so that I could get off the plane first and run to baggage collect. This I availed of and 'legged it' to the luggage carousel and bus terminal just as the driver was closing the luggage hatch so made it by the skin of my teeth! While I am obviously writing to highlight Sarah-Jane's kindness and thoughtfulness I am also highlighting her good humour and warmth as she passed through the aisle, always personable and professional. In a time when people complain of diminishing standards of service on Aer Lingus, it was most heartening to be under the excellent and attentive care of this Irish woman: a beacon of Irish hospitality and friendliness. Long may you recruit her like!
From a satisfied customer thank you.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I would give 4 stars for the leg to Dublin. Left on time and efficient.
However the second leg to Boston was outsourced to Privilege who seem to be a Spanish airline. Leg room was tight. I spent whole journey in contact with knees touching seat in front. Might as well have been sitting on a board, very little padding in seat - most uncomfortable. Meal not as would have expected. In-flight entertainment was dire - ancient films and poor choice. The section with Privilege hardly worth 2 stars.

3  Thank WorcesterMoray
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Honestly, the best thing I can say about Aer LIngus is that the price of the ticket was substantially less than AA's direct flight from PHL to AMS. In addition, the plane was clean and the onboard crew was nice to deal with. Other than that, my wife and I did not have a good experience with the airline.

• We booked flights from PHL to AMS via DUB last August and bought the upgrade to Premium Economy, in large part because we wanted aisle seats, sitting across from each other. We received confirmation and got our boarding passes the day before. But when time came to board the aircraft, our boarding passes did not work. Seems the airline had unilaterally changed our seats to the window and row middle, albeit in the same row. The gate agents were quite abrupt with my wife, who was startled by their attitude, which seemed to be along the lines of "take your ticket and siddown." This is not what we paid for. When we reached our destination, I sent a note to Aer Lingus asking for an upgrade as a "make good." The response from the airline said, in part, "We'll endeavour to honour all advance seating requests, and generally you will be allocated the seat you have pre-booked. However, in certain operational situations we can't always guarantee a particular seat. We reserve the right to assign or reassign seats at any time, even after boarding the aircraft. This may be necessary for operational, safety or security reasons." In other words, forget about the seats for which you've paid...we can put you anywhere we choose.
• Our return flight to PHL almost didn't happen: the flight out of AMS to DUB was delayed by an hour...leaving us to dash through the airport to hit the "Final Call" at our gate for the flight from DUB to PHL. This was after we cleared US customs in DUB (which is very handy, but I'm not sure that Aer Lingus factored that in when determining our layover time). I wish that the airline had taken the time to notify our connecting flight that we were running late. We made the flight, so it wasn't all that bad.
• This is an extreme nit-pick, and I know it, but...if you're the national carrier, it would be great if the meals you serve reflect the national cuisine. Our Irish carrier offered us Asian chicken and rice. It wasn't bad, but I'd hoped for more.

In sum, I'm disappointed by the level of service at Aer Lingus. I won't say I'll never fly them again, but it's hardly going to be a priority for me.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've used Aer Lingus plenty of times before and never had a problem but wow, God help you if you do!

After a long weekend in Ireland we returned to Dublin Airport to catch our return flight, only to be advised it was delayed two hours. Not a problem, we can wait... and then another hour delay. Not a problem, we can wait... and then cancelled - this is where the problems really start.

Along with another two flights cancelled at the same time, we were ushered back to check-in to see the two members of staff on duty to sort out accommodation and alternative travel arrangements. Needless to say, there was a bit of a queue and we were eventually told to arrange our own hotel and taxi, and keep the receipts for claiming back along with compensation.

We were eventually offered flights back home 24hr after the original booking, but this wouldn't be possible as my Dad was in need of medication before then. I phoned the helpline number we had been provided and told I could arrange my own flights and add them to the compensation claim once back home. Great - flights booked and after 3 hours sleep at the hotel, we were on our way back home.

I've since spent the last week trying to claim back money for the original flights, alternative flights, hotel, taxis, and additional car park charges from the overstay, only to be told all Aer Lingus will refund me for is the hotel and taxis. Not even a refund on the original flights they failed to honour, never mind any compensation.

The online "support" only serves to antagonise further by flatly refusing to acknowledge your points and sending the same links to information stating you're entitled to compensation unless "extraordinary circumstances" caused the issue (we were told by the Aer Lingus staff at the departure gate the cancellation was due to the pilot being over his permitted hours).

I've now spent over £1,400 for 4 people who's original tickets cost around £340 and would rather deal with the Ryan Air baggage Police than use Aer Lingus ever again.

• Value for money
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.