dcooper747 wrote a review Sep 2021
Sunderland, United Kingdom21 contributions14 helpful votes
Just returned from cruise around Greek Islands on 10/09/20201 on the Marella Discovery.

This was the first cruise international cruise the Marella Discovery had sailed since the covid crisis.

The cruise itself was very good and enjoyable - We had no problems with the restrictions we had to undergo and they didn't impinge on our enjoyment of the cruise.

The staff were excellent as usual given the circumstances they had to work under.
The food and dining facilities were excellent apart from a couple of cold breakfasts in the Glasshouse restaurant.

The entertainment was also very good and we had good nights listening to the musicians onboard.

The downside of the trip was on the journey back to the UK.

There was chaos at Corfu airport with people confused as to what was required of them and what documentation to produce to leave the island.

My wife got herself in a panic because we couldn't download the Passenger Location Form and they wouldn't let us through to catch the plane. If it wasn't for a very kind young woman who offered to help us and even came to the check in desk with us with details on her phone we wouldn't have got home. I wish to thank her very much. We weren't the only ones who had problems - There was a great percentage of older people who didn't have a clue what to do or didn't have the required technology to do what was wanted.

I would suggest that TUI/Marella should have advised us on the ship before we departed what people had to do and what documentation was needed and made sure that everyone had the required paperwork before they left the ship. This would have helped tremendously. Even if they had printed the PLF for everyone and let people fill it out by hand that would have helped a lot. It seemed that it was the PLF was the problem for many people at the airport. I don't know why the Greek authorities would want to know where I am located when I reach the UK.

The entry to UK at Newcastle airport was quick and seamless. We offered to show the man the PLF but he said it wasn't necessary as all the information required could be accessed through our passports.

In my view we were surplus to requirements once we were due to leave the ship and the didn't care what happened to us once we had left the ship - They weren't interested in us. The reps were of little assistance.

On top of this the plane was delayed for an hour and it was midnight before got home very tired.

But overall it was an enjoyable and much needed break after 18 months without an holiday.
Sail Date: September 2021
Pools & Sundecks
Onboard Activities
Entertainment
5 Helpful votes
Scroll below for other great reviews

Marella Discovery

Passengers to crew: 2.43:1
Launched: 1996

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 139 - 172 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 50
  • Filter
  • English
HolidayFanWales wrote a review Yesterday
Sutton, United Kingdom160 contributions96 helpful votes
This was our 4th cruise on Discovery and we were not disappointed despite COVID protocols. Staff were as friendly and cheerful as usual. The food and entertainment were still excellent and we thought the measures around the serving of food were good for preventing unnecessary waste and helping the environment. The only thing we missed was being able to help yourself to tea and coffee. But you could always make a nice cuppa in the room. It felt very safe onboard and we wish we were still there.
julieHampshire wrote a review 25 Oct
hampshire15 contributions24 helpful votes
After many cruises this was my first in the current climate and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. We were onboard the ship within 90 minutes of landing in Corfu as long as your paperwork is in order things go smoothly. I had a little incident within minutes of entering our deck 6 balcony cabin, the staff were on hand straight away offering assistance and helping me and maintenance took 2 hours to sort out the balcony door. I didn’t feel safe going out on the balcony after and asked to change rooms this was done the next day but I felt this could have been sooner as the ship wasn’t full. This ruined my first day and we spent the next morning moving. Our new deck 7 balcony cabin was so much better there was no bedside cabinets or drawers in the deck 6 one, I’ve never known this before. The entertainment and food were great apart from no orange juice at buffet breakfast I thought this was penny pinching. We felt safe everyone had to temperature test every day and PCR Test midweek this was very easy. I started my PLF before my cruise so only had to finish it when the time came. I found it easier to write all the details down, you need your passport details, flight details and a list off all the stops and dates of ports, all with internet that doesn’t work properly!! I did mine from a bar in port. The staff were very helpful with people that were struggling to fill theirs in. All in all I had a very enjoyable cruise.
1 Helpful vote
michelle76mg28 wrote a review 24 Oct
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom20 contributions5 helpful votes
I'm writing this review on behalf of my mum and her friend. They went on the cruise around the Greek Islands 8th-15th October. From start to finish, the staff they encountered were so friendly and welcoming (a couple of the Reception team, not so much though). A special mention has to go to Dmytro, the 2nd purser. When the time came for the UK passenger locator forms to be filled in, my mum and her friend attended the very informative meeting held by the crew to help passengers but they both still had trouble filling in the online forms. Dmytro spent a lot of his own time assisting them both and eventually they got them done. My mum and her friend are so grateful for Dmytro's unwavering friendliness and commitment to helping them. The cruise itself could not be faulted. The food was lovely, the facilities on board were excellent and the entertainment was fantastic. Most Island visits were really nice, Chania in Crete probably being the highlight. A couple of places on the original itinerary had to altered due to bad weather but that's out of Tui's control of course. All in all, it was a fantastic holiday and they will both definitely cruise again with Tui in the future.
186466Jane wrote a review 24 Oct
Swansea, United Kingdom37 contributions25 helpful votes
Cleanliness aboard ship was taken very seriously. Negative antigen test had to be shown before boarding, daily temperature readings taken, with further antigen tests needed before arriving at certain places. The staff were all lovely, friendly and helpful. The food was good, the Italian restaurant was particularly good. There was a variety of entertainment every day, staff worked extremely hard. We did trips at every stop and enjoyed them all. We were on the Cosmopolitan Classic cruise, it was lovely to get away.
Martyn R wrote a review 24 Oct
2 contributions
Flew from Manchester to board ship in Corfu on the 15th of October 2021, I've Cruised before but this was my partners first cruise , short transfer from Corfu to port, quick covid test before a well organised boarding , we were on deck 6 ,cabin 6530 , found cabin to have plenty of room , spotlessly clean , nice size balcony, only down points ,not enough drawer space ,the two film channels on the TV froze a lot , and news channel only worked on first day , not a major problem as we'd only ever be watching it first thing in the morning or last thing at night, Around the ship everything was spotless ,and a constant team of cleaners working to keep it that way, the food in every place we used was outstanding, the staff so pleasant and couldn't do enough for you, there was the occasional time one of guest would speak to a member of staff as though they were second class citizens , was so embarrassing and absolutely no need for it !!! Special thanks to Georgio the pool waiter ,his knowledge of cocktails was amazing , such a helpful guy , The entertainment ,well what can I say , they are true professionals ,with so much enthusiasm and talent it was an absolute pleasure to watch and listen to them , Captain Chris and his 'light hearted' manor ,what a lovely man , There's no need to feel at risk of covid while on board, staff wear mask at all times , passengers wear mask while walking around , compulsory daily temp checks are made on every passenger, and a mid week fast covid test , we felt a lot safer on the ship than being back in the UK. We payed 39€ to keep a cabin on for the last day as we had an evening flight , we moved to an inside cabin right facing our cabin so the move took two minutes, I preferred the inside cabin lots of cupboard and drawer space, plus it's pitch black so not woken by light in the morning , My partner took to cruising like a duck to water, so much so that we're cruising the Canaries on the 14th of December 2021 for a week she can't wait , just hoping the Marella Explorer is as good a ship. Thanks to Captain Chris and all his Crew we had an amazing time. Martyn &Sue