Joseph J wrote a review Aug 2022
1 contribution1 helpful vote
First time cruiser. I have a lot to say so Buckle Up.

1.) The staff on this ship is incredible from cruise director Louis to the service team who deserve your gratuitous gratuity for the work they do. Every team member remembers your name after they meet you one on one. That's a skill you don't get elsewhere. The ship is beautiful and clean (although I did leave the ship with some so called cruise crud.....so clean versus sanitary is the Marlee difference)

2.) Food options were not enough to support the number of people on board. Buffet lines could be wrapped around the ship and you'd stand in line 10 minutes to get your food. Not enough restaurants to support the flow of people. But big props to the burger place for possibly having the longest but fastest moving line possible. Dinner service is nice but it would've been great to have dine in service for breakfast and lunch. If those were offered we had no idea.

3.) Speaking of no idea? The entire days schedule was on an app on the phone and I really would have preferred a paper copy. The app felt clunky to navigate and I couldn't tell what was open and when. No true 24/7 dining option. Everyone talks about 24 hour pizza .....it 100% was not.

4.) No early riser breakfast. They put out some pastries at 6:30am but breakfast buffet isn't until 7:30am. That feels a bit late to me. Also they only open one side of the 4 sided buffet for breakfast until closer to 8am.

5.) Not enough pools to enjoy swimming or wading. There needs to be an adults only pool in Serenity. Speaking of Serenity

6.) Serenity is a joke. It's almost as loud and on obnoxious as the rest of the boat. Smoke drifts in from the smoking deck.....either above or below. Unsure. Really upsetting. The cruise allows smoking in the casino as well

7.) The layout is confusing and takes some time to get used to. You have to go through Deck 5 or Deck 9 to go from front to aft. There is not other options we saw. Deck 5 makes you go through the smoke filled casino to go between Aft and Forward. Everything I own now smells like smoke and it's made me sick.

8.) Positive? The shore excursions we're great. They've partnered with some really great companies to lead the excursions. Highly recommend the Mayapan ruins and Cave Swimming in Progreso. Isla Pasion at Cozumel was fine but only 4 drinks were all inclusive. Lunch ran out of food early. Valerie, one of the shop keepers on the island knew so much about Baltimore where we're from and she was a pleasure to talk to. I think their souvenirs we're expensive but this is a specialized economy and they are a small team making it all happen. We were able to make a fair deal and I got some beautiful stuff.

9.) Cruise Director Louis. You handsome, devilish, delightful, and down right annoying sometimes man. I'm gonna miss you. You didn't give me a great impression right away making some jokes about passengers size but I realized quickly he was new at this and throwing it out there to see what worked. He had great energy and he gave it his all. He was there for almost everything and he has great suits. After watching him host Deal or No Deal I warmed up to him. I felt his bravado wall drop and I finally felt like he was a human being. He's from England and has great legs and short shorts which everyone rags on him for. He was great for giving a long announcement of upcoming activities while we were going trivia or guess that song. He's just doing his job and I think he knocked it out of the park. He gets a bit "Brilliant" from me.

10.) The show quality was fantastic. The cast was very talented but they were down one member so some blocking looked awkward and I think there were songs that were supposed to be sung by the missing female cast member that were good but not great. Production quality and costumes on point for having to produce 4 shows twice a week. That's some real talent for the cast there is knowing 4 shows at a time.

11.) Yopi from Indonesia, my room steward. I love you man. Your little towel animals were adorable and they lit up our life. You snuck into that room and flipped it so quickly each day. Hope I left you
enough tip. We really appreciated your service.

12.) Fun squad was on point. Alex from Mexico.....it's Mexico not MEXico..... please be my friend. I need one of your shimmys right about now. Cailo from Brazil another fun squad member was a little more aggressive a personality during his events and I called him "aggressively straight" because he made a boob job joke over a trivia answer about Silicon the element. Jaime was fun. We did a lot of trivia together. I won Broadway trivia and got a medal for it. My crowning glory moment. There were a couple more people I didn't get to interact with but they all seemed cool.

13.) The onboarding process needs a complete redesign and the disembarkation needs work. Such a cluster. They didn't even send us through customs.....that I know of? Getting on the boat essentially required checking in at 3-4 different counters before getting facial recognition scans and such. I just don't understand why we couldn't scan our boarding pass and passport, go through security and get onboard. It took way too long. Getting off was a mess. Everyone had to be out of their rooms by 8:30am and we didn't get off the boat until nearly 10am.....and we're in a fairly early group.

14.) Activities were plentiful but perhaps there could be more added? By day 2 we already knew there'd be a mix of trivia and name that tune, bingos, and live music.

15.) They have meetings on board for those who attend. Friends of Bill and his other friends. It would've been nice to see a friends of Judy meeting.

16.) Speaking of which, I'm glad they hosted several queer mixers but the clients on board were racist, homophobic, I got called a faggot once and some really ugly stares multiple times for holding my partners hands and I felt unsafe serval times on the boat. I didn't feel that way in New Orleans at all......so must've been some people from out of town.

17.) Dress code enforcement would be nicer. Don't need another sunburned white guy with a beer gut, tribal armband tattoo, and sunglasses soaking wet walking through the mid/buffet dining room causing a slip and fall hazard. Dining room crew had enough on their hands trying to keep tables clean and with bar drink orders.

18.) Last but not least. The dining room dog and pony show. I'm unsure what those costumes are but if you are trying to appropriate hispanic cultures I'm not sure that's ok. I understand Filipino and Indo/Malay people have Spanish influence in their culture from the conquistadors and such.....but their cultures have developed separately. I'm going to hope it was a celebration of Filipino culture.....that had Filipino input into how it was portrayed. (Most of the dining staff are Filipino or Indo/Malay people.)
Sail Date: August 2022
Cabin Type: Balcony
Type of Trip: Couple
Destination: Caribbean
1 Helpful vote
Scroll below for other great reviews

Carnival Valor

Ocean View (6B)
  Interior (4A)

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 185 - 195 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 14
  • Filter
  • English
natasha t wrote a review 25 Jan
2 contributions
The food was mediocre & contracted norovirus (food poisoning)the 3rd day & was isolated for the last 2 days puking my brains out. Could not hold any food down for 7 days. The nurse was horrible at starting iv’s & my arm is still bruised & sore over a month later. I was offered a $43 cruise credit due to being isolated. What a smack in the face, but it’s safe to say I won’t be cruising with Carnival anymore.
NaDean M wrote a review 23 Jan
1 contribution
If you enjoy waiting in lines, eating tasteless food, being surrounded by broken things, having a limit on your “unlimited” drink package then this is the cruise for you! This cruise was not relaxing, enjoyable or felt like a vacation at all. I will say though that the comedies and bartenders are the only good thing on this cruise.
Discover63886 wrote a review 16 Jan
McComb, Mississippi8 contributions3 helpful votes
Port of New Orleans was great we moved so fast with the process to get on the ship.We needed a relaxing vacation and we got it on this cruise.We choose the first day to relax and do nothing just laying around.The sail away party was awesome and the DJ was amazing.
1 Helpful vote
Aliyah wrote a review 13 Jan
1 contribution
This is my 3rd time cruising. And honestly Carnival Elation was way better than this ship. The service was poor exactly for my disabled cousin, nobody helped us when it came to finding where to go, and nobody understood what we're saying. This ship "sinks" smelled like sewage. The cabin was ok but could've dusted and it was dated. I think it's ridiculous that u can't bring water on the ship and the fact u have to get a soda from a bar when it should be free but I digress. Beside all of that I enjoyed my vacation I enjoyed the food as always, Slept good in my cabin, I loved the comedy show, I took a lot of pictures ok the crew that took christmas pics was rushing and didn't take good pics of me and my family but there a few I liked so I digress, and I shopped in Cozumel and had fun. Overall I'll give this ship a 5.5/10 it was good but could've been better hopefully I have a better experience When I go on my next cruise which is this year but this time on Carnival Glory.
imjustjae wrote a review Dec 2022
LaGrange, Georgia8 contributions1 helpful vote
Just got home Monday off the valor. Everything was perfect including the staff. Especially our room steward Johnathan he was amazing from the beginning to the end. The only thing I didn't like was that the Scarlett steakhouse bumped our reservation twice. What's the point in making reservations if they're going call you the day of with some bogus excuse of over booking. I see once but 2 days back to back. Not only did it happen to me but also my best friend who was on the cruise with us. The person we talked to acted like he really did care when I told him that this had happened 2 days in a row and that pissed me off even more