We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Wales
Level Contributor
133 posts
38 reviews
24 helpful votes
Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Hi everyone,

Looking to book a short break in May at The Southern Palms for one person. I have an option of booking room only or half board for an extra £850. Would it work out better value if I just paid as I go or does half board represent good value ? Will be there for 7 days.

Thanks everyone.

7 replies to this topic
PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
107 reviews
97 helpful votes
1. Re: Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Personally I would opt for room only. You might get bored eating at the same place every day - and £850 can buy a lot of meals out. You would still have to pay extra for any drinks even with half board.

Whittlesey, United...
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
36 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Jesus that’s a no brainer, agree with #1

Wales
Level Contributor
133 posts
38 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Thank you so much for your reply, much appreciated.

Just one more question if you can help. Is it best to take Barbados dollars or USA dollars ? Thanks again.

Wales
Level Contributor
133 posts
38 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Go room only, there are plenty of options to eat out in and around The Gap and you won't want to be tied to the same place every day. The breakfast and lunch menus at SP are very good but £850 is a lot to pay for half board for one week, if you look at their website (link below) you'll get an idea of the cost of food at the hotel.

I would advise that you take Barbados dollars with you, USD are accepted but the local currency is generally preferred.

https://www.southernpalms.net/dining/the-garden-terrace-restaurant

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
107 reviews
97 helpful votes
6. Re: Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Whilst you can use US$ you will get change in BBD$. Some vendors prefer local currency. If you have a credit card you can use that at most restaurants and there are ample ATMs it you wanted to draw out some cash.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
7. Re: Half board or room only, for single traveler.

Totally agree - book room only. There's a big range of food options in the Gap - no need to pay that kind of money for breakfast and lunch.

If you can't get Barbados currency, and it's easier to get USD - that's not a problem. When you pay in USD, you get Bajan change, so don't worry. It's easy to figure out because the exchange rate is approx 2:1 - 2 BBD+1 USD.

Reply to: Half board or room only, for single traveler.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.