We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

Good day everyone!

I'll be staying at Sheraton Cotai. I would like to know how/where can I take the free shuttle bus around Macau as I know there are many different operators and routes. (If the bus routes are not available, I don't mind walking a bit or taking taxi/bus.)

This is my plan for Macau day trip.

Ferry from Hong Kong to Macau.

Places to visit:

1. Macau Fisherman’s Wharf (optional)

2. Venetian Macau

Check in hotel at 3pm. (can I check in earlier?)

3. Taipa Village 官也街

4. A-Ma Temple (optional)

5. Senado Square

a) Leal Senado Building

b) St. Dominic's Church

c) Lou Kau Mansion

6. Ruins of St. Paul area

a) Ruins of St. Paul

b) Mount Fortress (Macau Museum housed inside)

7. Wynn Fountain Show, Grand Lisboa

Back to Sheraton Cotai.

Thank you for helping out! :)

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Taipa Village Macau
Taipa Village Macau
597 Reviews
Macau, China
St. Dominic's Church
St. Dominic's Church
1,034 Reviews
Macau, China
Lou Kau Mansion
Lou Kau Mansion
118 Reviews
Macau, China
Ruins of St. Paul's
Ruins of St. Paul's
6,875 Reviews
Macau, China
Wynn Palace
Wynn Palace
2,613 Reviews
Macau, China
Grand Lisboa
Grand Lisboa
379 Reviews
Macau, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,455 posts
6,367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

Hello eryntan

Welcome to the Macau

What time do you intend to arrive in Macau and how many nights are you staying? This will greatly impact the sort of advice TA members will give to your transportation questions.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

Hi BradJill, I'm planning to arrive at Macau between 10-11am. I'll be staying for 2 days 1 night, I've referred to other posts from earlier on, I feel it is possible to finish within 1.5 day. What are your thoughts?

Edited: January 15, 2014, 6:50 pm
Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

If you wait until 3pm hotel check before you head over to Senado Square, it seems late. Many of the sights are good to see in day lights preferrably. You lose the details in the dark (e.g. Ruins of St Paul). While the place will be lit, if this is your first time it may not be the best. Also A-Ma Temple closes around dark I think.

If is conceivable that you visit all the Senado Square and historic landmarks first when you arrive Macau, before you head over the CoTai area for hotel check in later. But I hope you travel light. Best if you bring everything with you for this short trip in a backpack.

Fisherman's Wharf is quite close to Macau's Maritime Ferry Terminal. You can walk there if you like. (Or else take a very short taxi ride). Whether it is worth a visit is questionable.

From Ferry Terminal to Senado Square, take a bus or taxi. Free hotel shuttles don't reach (another 10 minutes walk). If you want: Hotel Lisboa, Grand Lisboa or Sintra. Or even Wynn (across the street from Lisboa, farther from Senado Square.

Senado Square and Ruins of St Paul area are very close. About 10 minutes apart by walking. Many food shops along the way. And if you visit in the evening, no more free food sample.

From the Venetian, you can walk to Taipa Village, about 15-20 minutes. Or if you must take a free shuttle: walk across the street to City of Dreams.

Free shuttle: From Sands Hotel to Venetian. (Sands is just across the street from Fisherman's Wharf)

Free shuttle: From Hotel Sintra (Senado Square, 10 minutes) to City of Dreams (across the street from Venetian). Sheraton Cotai (Cotai Central) is down the street from City of Dreams. About 10 minutes or so walking I think. Cotai Central has free shuttles going to places too...

Mentioned in this post
Ruins of St. Paul's
Ruins of St. Paul's
6,875 Reviews
Macau, China
Macau
Macau
China
Macau Fisherman's Wharf
Macau Fisherman's Wharf
308 Reviews
Macau, China
Hotel Lisboa Macau
Hotel Lisboa Macau
1,227 Reviews
Macau, China
Grand Lisboa
Grand Lisboa
379 Reviews
Macau, China
Hotel Sintra
Hotel Sintra
793 Reviews
Macau, China
Wynn Palace
Wynn Palace
2,613 Reviews
Macau, China
Taipa Village Macau
Taipa Village Macau
597 Reviews
Macau, China
City of Dreams
City of Dreams
466 Reviews
Macau, China
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

Hi HappyFeet, thanks for your wonderful tips! Those plans were my initial thought, however, we'll be going back to Malaysia straight from Macau, so we are unlikely able to travel light and visit around as suggested by you, unless there is a place for us to store our luggage temporarily.

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,455 posts
6,367 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

>>>I've referred to other posts from earlier on, I feel it is possible to finish within 1.5 day. What are your thoughts?<<<<

We spend quite a bit of time in Macau, often staying 3-4 days and we are never bored or finding ourselves out of things to do/see. However, you can get a good feel for Macau in a day and a half and you've chosen a fair number of the nice attractions and places to visit in your list above.

Since you are staying the night, I would consider moving your visit to Senado Square attractions to the second morning. Go there around 8.30-9am and walk around, most attractions open after 9am but the crowds won't be heavy until later in the morning and early afternoon. However, I suppose this depends on what time you are flying out on the second morning.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

I know it's a bit rush, I'm leaving the next day on 3pm. Will I be able to make it? If yes, then I'll split some of my itinerary to 2 days. :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,455 posts
6,367 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

The good news is that that airport is less than 10 minutes from Sand Cotai Central so you definitely have time to spend the morning in the Historic World Heritage area and them make your way back to the hotel to pick up luggage and go to the airport. Macau is small so it won't be a problem for you. It is considerably smaller than Penang Island. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

Hi eryntan,

Still proceed to your hotel, upon arrival. do your room registration, if room not ready, leave luggage with concierge, then proceed with your itinerary to Macau Peninsula.

Do Venetian Macau and Taipa village on the evening (Venetian Macau) and on day before your flight- check out and go to Taipa village for breakfast and look see.

Just take note 6(b)-Macau Musuem is closed on Mon.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Taipa Village Macau
Taipa Village Macau
597 Reviews
Macau, China
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,297 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

Buddy mKiara has beatened me to post... Since you will be travelling through Macau back to Malaysia with luggage, then it makes the most sense to head over the hotel you will be staying first once off the ferry terminal. Check in and request for your room. They probably won't be able to let you have the room that early. Leave luggage with hotel concierge.

Then you have a choice of visiting the Senado Square / Ruins of St Pauls areas whether on the first day afternoon or second day morning. I would suggest: if the day is still early, do it the first day. Leave second day to just Taipa Village, Venetian and maybe even the Panda Pavilion. If the day is late, do the reverse and head over to Macau Peninsula early the second day. You can hit A-Ma Temple first, then to Senado Square (30 minute walk or a short taxi ride).

Free shuttle is nice. But the thing with hotel shuttles - their routes are fixed and rigid, and often times you need to wait. Your limited time in Macau is valuable too. So valuable that it seems a waste to trade 30 to 60 minutes for a MOP 20, 30 or 40. Up to you.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Ruins of St. Paul's
Ruins of St. Paul's
6,875 Reviews
Macau, China
Taipa Village Macau
Taipa Village Macau
597 Reviews
Macau, China
Panda Hotel
Panda Hotel
1,860 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How To Travel around Macau by Free Shuttle Bus?

Thank you so much people! I'll heed your suggestions and be flexible shuffling my plan on that day. Guess it'll be fun visiting around Macau. :)

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Get answers to your questions about Macau