We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3rd visit and probably the last

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
3rd visit and probably the last

This was our third visit and will probably be our last. Overall feeling was the resort was tired and run down. Quite a few places closed along the Fanabe strip. The restaurants seemed quiet too.

Have others seen this?

Buggy Adventure from Adeje
US$48 per adult
Free Cancellation
Geronimo Royal Excursion
10 Reviews
US$72 per adult
Free Cancellation
Small group whale watching 2 hour tour
US$54 per adult
Free Cancellation
44 replies to this topic
Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

Have you been at the same time of year each time? I ask because, although I don't know Costa Adeje, I do know that May and early June is the absolute quietest time of year on my island of Fuerteventura. It's because it has warmed up sufficiently in the north of Europe for people not to be desperate to get away, and the schools have yet to break up, in fact older kids will probably be doing exams. Many restaurants are closed here at the moment for their owners' own holidays and/or refurbs, but they'll all be open for business at the end of this month for the Spanish school holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Adeje
Costa Adeje
Tenerife, Spain
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
Europe
Europe
World
preston
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

May and June are usually the quietest months for the canaries, as most of the scandies have left and it’s sort of in between seasons. As above says, maybe try at another time of year, or a different island.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

Yip .. same time. It was a year-on-year comparison.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

i came back from puerto colon recently and only the other day on here

i said puerto colon was looking tired and run down, mostly because of the restaurants and bars which have permanently shut down.

fanabe strip felt the same.

i think it has to do with money, people just don't have the same money to spend like they did.

even this past holiday we had a few nights in.

i think more money needs to be spent on the area to make it more attractive, puerto colon at night was like los c quite come 10.00pm

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
554 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

Don't think it has anything to do with it being classed as low season, as to why it's currently quiet? hotels have become greedy and Prices for holidays to Tenerife have been hiked up that much over the past few years, people are going elsewhere, plus the fact that the weather has been Crap for the majority of this year desn't justify the massve price increase's either, especially during the winter season

Edited: June 11, 2018, 9:26 pm
Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

I agree just back and don't think I'd return. Found all the restaraunts hit and miss and found it all very run down, and expensive for what you got. The weather was also a let down, where I was in the Bahia it was cloudy alright but also got cold in the afternoon. Don't think Costa Adeje was for me.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Adeje
Costa Adeje
Tenerife, Spain
north east
Level Contributor
963 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

All inclusive, killing so many businesses.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

we had a night out up the safari centre when we was recently there and the area was busy the bars were full.

came back to san eugino got dropped off at coconuts and the area was very quiet.

daytime was busy the beach bars/restaurants were full and the resort seemed full of people....even though people say may is quiet..when out on our walks plenty of people about.

the further you walked into adeje the quieter it became at night.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

Up until a couple of years ago I'd have agreed that there was so little money around that tourists couldn't afford to come, and if they did they went to the AI hotels and stayed there. But now Corralejo, in Fuerteventura, is very busy and places that had been empty are opening back up and thriving. But I don't know what the clientele is like in Tenerife. The pound is causing foreign holidays to cost a lot more for Brits, so maybe that's the problem, whereas the local clientele here is very cosmopolitan and visitors from other parts, especially central Europe, are rushing in to fill any gaps.

AI might well be having an effect on private investment - it's certainly being felt here, although an awful lot of tourists here prefer S/C. I'm sure the council will spend money on the place, but it has to get it in first through taxation - chicken and egg!

Mentioned in this post
Corralejo
Corralejo
Fuerteventura, Spain
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Europe
Europe
World
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3rd visit and probably the last

total crap about AI

ITS THE PRICES IN THE BARS WITH ENTERTAINMENT

between 10 and 13 euros for 2 smirnoff and mixer

when you can get a litre for 10 euros in the spanish style

even SC people are staying in with a carry out rather go out at night

for the record we came home yesterday and last week was very busy and sunny till sat when it was overcast but still warm

Reply to: 3rd visit and probably the last
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Costa Adeje